• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

OEM Bow Roller on new Yamaha Boat causing you damage?

jsg73

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
No picture, but on our 2019 OEM was a pale yellow color.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
They all come with the yellow hard plastic roller like this....

91F70772-156D-4A74-985F-EC28BFE097FA.jpeg

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We have the 2020 210 FSH Sport on factory order. I ordered the upgraded trailer. Do you guys know If this roller is still on new models ? If so does anyone have a picture of the defective roller. I have picked a dealer for boat delivery so I could have them change the roller. $50 for a new roller is nothing compared to the price of this boat. I agree this should be taken care of by someone other than the consumer but I don’t want to damage the paint. This happened to me on a new 1989 Ranger boat I bought. Didn’t see the damage the roller caused until it was to late to buff it out.
Delivery is scheduled by March so I have time to get this problem solved.
I have no idea if the crap roller is on the new models and/or the upgraded trailer, but @haknslash has the right pic for what you're looking to swap out - the beige/tan/almond roller looks like it won't be a problem, but heed the warnings and swap it out. I didn't, at my own peril. I'm not certain that the bow has the exact same shape, but I have no reason to believe it's changed drastically since last year, and your model has the same shape to it as mine - here's my thread that has all the final items that I should have simply gotten in the first place: Best fitting bow roller for 2019 AR210 I actually DID swap mine out for a color-matched roller, and it turned out to be just as crappy as the original roller. The Stoltz numbers that should fit your model are listed in that thread. Make sure they use a bolt that's long enough to allow the roller to roll.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
From a local dealership website, this is a 2020 212S. Same roller but with a bit of plastic this time?

3C57A7DD-864B-4CAC-A97D-03E9B51300DC.jpeg

Ricks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks guys. I will contact dealer ASAP to have it change.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
From a local dealership website, this is a 2020 212S. Same roller but with a bit of plastic this time?

View attachment 109572
In looking at this pic, it's exactly the same as the old ones. Even if there's some plastic (are you referring to the piece between the roller, or ?), that roller is already deformed, and it looks like they've got a piece of something between the roller and the gelcoat. That's likely a dealer that already knows the issues, and doesn't want the gelcoat damaged before that boat is sold. Is that Winnebagoland?

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
In looking at this pic, it's exactly the same as the old ones. Even if there's some plastic (are you referring to the piece between the roller, or ?), that roller is already deformed, and it looks like they've got a piece of something between the roller and the gelcoat. That's likely a dealer that already knows the issues, and doesn't want the gelcoat damaged before that boat is sold. Is that Winnebagoland?
Yes, that’s the way it’s coming from the factory - meaning Yamaha knows about the issue, and just wants to make it the customers problem after delivery. Sucks.

jamesk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
From the boat show yesterday.......I guess when you put your boat back on the trailer Yamaha wants you to put a piece of plastic there so the bow stop does not scratch you boat.!
IMG_0932.JPG

Hoyt

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
From the boat show yesterday.......I guess when you put your boat back on the trailer Yamaha wants you to put a piece of plastic there so the bow stop does not scratch you boat.!
View attachment 113011
That's funny. Our new boat had that on there too

Leojay

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My local dealers new boat all had the plastic film too. They know about it for sure. Petition with almost 200 names got their attention, but this is not a satisfactory fix!

Drexx3

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
They have to be aware of the issue. This is literally how it came from the factory (fresh off the trailer) and you can even see that my 242SE may have appeared to slide backwards a bit. I think the bow roller was supposed to be on the foam held by the red tape.
85246999-A3FC-4909-B870-ED700B549AA8.png

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Magic eraser marks from roller gone. Bigger problems in the world wash your hands.

Leojay

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Magic eraser marks from roller gone. Bigger problems in the world wash your hands.
Liveto, I totally agree with you and hear what your saying. Unfortunately many people have actual gouging into the gel coat from these rollers, not just marks. Not sure how a roller could do that, but it has for some.

Yamadale

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No I have spoken
Shouldn't you address it with Shoreland'r since they make the trailer?
No I have spoken directly with shorelandr about the inadequacy’s of the AR and SX 190 trailers. They have specifically stated that Yamaha partners with them. That particular trailer Is designed for and will only be sold with Yamaha boats. I also spoke with Yamaha, they have signed off that the trailer is “fit for marketability” if you wanted a better quality Then you should consider a more expensive option,Meaning that he’s 19 footers are entry level boats and are sold at an affordable price point. But if you ask me yes they should’ve spent $40 and put a polyurethane roller.I installed a bow on mine after the first launch but over time it is still scuffed my clearcoat above that.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Boats don't have a clear coat as its not like an automotive paint. Gelcoat is what is laid down over the fiberglass.

The issue isn't 19' boats. Yamaha does this for all of their boats, even the 24' X series. Yes Yamaha has partnered with Shorelandr to build the trailer. That's how most boat manufacturers do it. Yamaha spec'd them and signed off on what 'features' should be used to make "their" trailers. It doesn't stop at just the bow roller. The tail lights, at least for the 19' boats, are still halogen non-sealed units. After a few dunks the bulbs will blow especially if they have been on for a while and touch colder water. They should move to LED sealed units but that's not their concern. They don't price these boats as entry level and should come with higher quality components on the trailer for what you pay but again that's not in their interest.

garyshalfacre

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212SD
Boat Length
Does everyone agree the Stoltz Ult-4 is the best replacement?
Would like to know, too.
My 2022, 21 foot still has the same crappy roller and would like to swap it out after first launch.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Does everyone agree the Stoltz Ult-4 is the best replacement?
Would like to know, too.
My 2022, 21 foot still has the same crappy roller and would like to swap it out after first launch.
You both have different boats. The answer will definitely be "No" for one of you, and possibly both. Measure your bow roller, and get one that, at the very least, matches that measurement.

The next step is to mate the angle to what you have.

I wish they had outfitted my trailer with the proper Stoltz, but that's an issue that has fingers pointing in any direction except "that's on us". Show some measurements and the shape of your bow. We can guess as well as anybody.

YoDaddy292

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had it in hand before I picked up the boat and what does my lazy ass do? Take it out twice and start noticing scratches! So yesterday I jacked up the front of the boat, leaned the scratches, put a coat of ceramic on it, and put that sucker on. It was the 4” but it was a pretty tight fit and had me a bit nervous whether it was right or not. It rolls by hand with effort and didn’t appear to stretch out the holder but had to wonder if the 3 1/2” would have been a better fit.

Ricks

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Stoltz Is what I installed on my boat. No more problems with scratches or marks. Not sure what size I bought for my 2020 FSH 210. I measured the old one and bought the Stoltz from Amazon.