• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Offsite storage and Battery charging

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For all you guys that store your boats at a storage facility I was wondering what your process is for recharging your batteries.

I am looking into a mix of storage options including an outdoor storage yard close to my house all the way up to valet service at the marina.

Just in the information gathering phase as I don't even own a boat yet. (but hopefully soon)

Thanks

So do any of these storage options provide AC access?

I store mine in a storage yard. With my old boat i would just bring the batteries home after the weekend and recharge them. Its a pain but have been thinking about setting up a solar panel to charge the house battery since I have a vsr that works off the start battery.

What are the thoughts there?

I store mine in a storage yard. With my old boat i would just bring the batteries home after the weekend and recharge them. Its a pain but have been thinking about setting up a solar panel to charge the house battery since I have a vsr that works off the start battery.

I think the right solar panel WITH charging module is a fine idea for maintenance.
Bad weather and evenings won't help for quick recovery overnight or even weekend to weekend depending on the size of the panel. It's just a tough situation if you don't have AC power available at the storage location. At the same time, the solar panel and module is much, much better than nothing at all. Out of convenience, I would add the solar panel & module (again placing emphasis on the module). Then, rather than speculate as to the effectiveness, I would measure with a multimeter in order to determine the actual effectiveness. Allow the battery(s) to rest in isolation for a short period (so that the panel charging voltage has a chance to fully dissipate) and then measure the voltage direct at the battery terminals after the storage period. If you are at 12.7 volts on a newer battery or very close to that on an aged battery, then you're doing pretty well. It's important that you have enough battery capacity that under typical usage you are not cycling the battery much below a 50% charge or around 12.0 volts. The deeper the cycles the more important a stronger charger will be. Again, these things should be accurately measured and not left to speculation. It's good idea to check the battery over a several day period in total isolation for self-discharge. At minimum, I would do this at the beginning and end of the season. Over the off season I would continue to bring the batteries home and place them on an indoor smart maintenance charger. Certainly not perfection. But a good plan.

Yea after some research the charging module is a must for this type of set up. I have the SX model so no tower. I was thinking of just getting a PVC pipe or something and sticking it into the ground and mount the panel on that near the stern of the boat then run the wires under the cover.

So do any of these storage options provide AC access?
Well, some do and some don't. I was more concerned with the ones that don't and how people handle those situations. I figured removal and bring home to charge but wasn't sure if there are other options.

I would bring the boat home after use to clean so I can remove them at the house. This would probably be just once a week as I would keep the boat at the house between Sat/Sun and can recharge them overnight while they are in the boat.

Thanks

Now that's an idea! Thanks

I store the boat at the river, about a four hour drive. I always bring the batteries home. The heat out there in the summer can be well over 110 degrees for many, many days. A real battery killer.

The way my storage yard works is I drive through the gate and drop it. Steve - who runs the yard - will come along at some point and put her away. So solar doesn't work for me since the boat could be put inside any one of a number of buildings.
It's become reflex now so it's no big deal. I've been able to maximize the life of my batteries compared to my friends who also store their boats there. One of them has gone through numerous batteries over the same time for various reasons. Neglect is the most obvious.

I always check the battery with a hydrometer and a load tester about a week or so before we go out just in case age has reared it's ugly head and I need to buy a new one.

Between the boat, the toyhauler (two banks, 4 batteries) 5 cars and trucks, 4 motorcycles w/batteries and the RZR, I have a lot of batteries to look after.

I did forget to bring the battery out once (maybe twice) and Steve just gives me one. So I'm always covered.

So, if you plan on leaving your battery in the boat, make sure you take the time to charge it fully before you put it away. You might consider adding a Priority Start disconnect switch:
http://www.batterystuff.com/battery-products/PS12VMarine.html so you don't get caught with a dead battery and no way to get the boat started.

ON/Off switches only work when you remember to use them. On/Off/All or multi-position switches should be avoided in my opinion. We call them idiot switches because you end up calling yourself that for forgetting which battery you drained or you drained all instead of one, etc. I prefer On/Off for each bank or battery.

Ideally you want it on a smart charger that will recharge it and go to a float stage and maintain it. If going solar, use a controller as David mentioned.

If you are going to add a bitchin' stereo and amps and lights and other cool stuff then you will need a bigger battery and perhaps a second, third, etc. depending on your set-up. Don't throw good money after bad by leaving a good charger out of the equation.

*all the above is just this guys opinion. What I do works for me. What you do hits your wallet, not mine. :cool:

Any even better spot would be if you have VeVe guides and mount the solar charger on one of the guides. Think I might have to try this.

To use a priority battery start wouldn't the boat have to be moored?

To use a priority battery start wouldn't the boat have to be moored?
No, it works off the battery alone. From their site:

"It monitors the battery's voltage and automatically disconnects any undesired drain on your battery when engine is off. The disconnect threshold is factory set at 11.7 Volts."

No, it works off the battery alone. From their site:

"It monitors the battery's voltage and automatically disconnects any undesired drain on your battery when engine is off. The disconnect threshold is factory set at 11.7 Volts."

Okay, I see. Purely a disconnect.

The first thought that popped into my head was the Clifford Avant Guard that would start the vehicle and charge the battery when the voltage dropped.
Might be a thought for a moored boat, no shore power and an active bilge pump.

The first thought that popped into my head was the Clifford Avant Guard that would start the vehicle and charge the battery when the voltage dropped.
Might be a thought for a moored boat, no shore power and an active bilge pump.

Now THAT is cool. Haven't seen that before, but then, I don't get out much!

Back