• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Oil change extractor idea

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just puttering around the interwebs today, and found this. Not sure what type of container to use for the amount needed for our engines, but at the very least, it's a cheap and easy way if you don't want to throw money at an extractor. I get the oil for my boat in gallon jugs, and the jug has a handle, so my thought was to simply run the vacuum line into the top, and run the oil extraction line into the top and feed it down the handle to get separation between the two. Not sure if it'll hold enough, as I don't have a jug handy to me at the moment, but the jugs have a clear strip molded into them so you can see the amount you're pulling from the engine. If anyone has other ideas for a container, by all means, chime in. Hope this helps someone, and thanks to Chris for the idea

Easy to do, cheap, and looks like it would work fine. A gallon jug should be perfect...I never get even 4 quarts out of my engines.

Just puttering around the interwebs today, and found this. Not sure what type of container to use for the amount needed for our engines, but at the very least, it's a cheap and easy way if you don't want to throw money at an extractor. I get the oil for my boat in gallon jugs, and the jug has a handle, so my thought was to simply run the vacuum line into the top, and run the oil extraction line into the top and feed it down the handle to get separation between the two. Not sure if it'll hold enough, as I don't have a jug handy to me at the moment, but the jugs have a clear strip molded into them so you can see the amount you're pulling from the engine. If anyone has other ideas for a container, by all means, chime in. Hope this helps someone, and thanks to Chris for the idea

That looks like something that is used in a DIY meth lab

That looks like something that is used in a DIY meth lab

If television has taught me anything, if the end product comes out different than all the rest, you will need to deal with the local chicken restaurant owner, so best have a plan of attack. Also, car wash businesses are just a front, and your wife might be fooling around on you while you are teaching the leaders of tomorrow.

You see a pile of crap, but for a few dollars, I'm going to show you how to shine that pile till it glistens! ??

Here's another idea...And you can swap ALL the oil. It can be messy. I'm using fuel line so I don't trust it to leave it on all the time, but if you move the valve you could.

Attachments

• Oil Sensor Modified.jpg
    Oil Sensor Modified.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 21
This is what I use.
If you do a quick oil extractor pump in automotive on Amazon, there is plenty to choose from.
517CEFB5-ABE5-4619-99A6-4D56C14D4563.jpeg

I use an evacuation pump that I bought on amazon for $22. I pump it directly into the jug as @drewkaree described. The capacity of the 1.8l is listed as 3.5 quarts, so a gallon jug is fine. But you have to make sure you don't hard-couple the oil line to the jug with no place for air to escape. I saw a youtube video giving "advice" on how to set this up and then talking about how long it took to pump out. With an air escape route, mine pumps out in less than 10 minutes.

I appreciate the creativity, but I don’t think it is saving much. +1 on the $20 pump from Amazon, and milk jugs.

I appreciate the creativity, but I don’t think it is saving much. +1 on the $20 pump from Amazon, and milk jugs.

For someone wondering whether they want to hassle with this in the first place, this is a cheap and simple way to find out

For someone wanting a breakdown of what is involved, I have a different thread for that, for the TR-1 engines.

For the milk jug use, I definitely recommend getting rid of the oil sooner, rather than later. Milk jugs tend to end up leaching out after a bit. Ask me how I know ?‍♂️ Original oil containers, or at least more-robust plastic, can save your garage floor

Should there be any concern about sucking oil fumes through the vacuum motor and possible explosion?

For the milk jug use, I definitely recommend getting rid of the oil sooner, rather than later. Milk jugs tend to end up leaching out after a bit. Ask me how I know ?‍♂️ Original oil containers, or at least more-robust plastic, can save your garage floor
Agreed, been there, done that too! ?

For the milk jug use
I didn't mean to imply milk jugs. I use a motor oil jug. I seem to always have an empty one hanging around from a previous oil change. They hold the old oil for years. I wish I was better about getting rid of it sooner so I didn't know that.

Should there be any concern about sucking oil fumes through the vacuum motor and possible explosion?
These pumps are intended for pumping oil out of engines, so I wouldn't expect any such concern.

I dunno that oil vapor is flammable like gas would be. Once oil is burning, it seems to stay lit with more difficulty than fuel, hence all the black smoke. I also don't think you're atomizing it, but I have no empirical evidence that it's impossible ?‍♂️

I do a/c and refrigeration work So I use my vacuum pump. Welded a 1” pipe to a Freon drum with threaded cap. Have a nipple soldered in for the pick up hose. Pull a vacuum on the drum and it pulls the oil in. When done remove cap and pour out.

Back