• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

oil leak + mystery part- 1.8l 2017 242x

nclacrosse

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So we have had this boat for just about 1 year. Since new, I would occasionally see a really small amount of oil in the bilge area. I asked the dealer to check it out at end of season last year and they said they did not find any cause / leak. Recently the amount of oil I am seeing has increased (especially if we have been running hard pulling a big tube etc) and I now notice it in the bilge water. I did a little exploring today and the only oily surface I could find was under the starboard engine. Is this most likely an oil pan that isn't snugged down tight? Pretty sure the oil pump and cooler were not leaking.

MYSTERY PART - Also there is a cylindrical "port?" of some sort under the starboard engine toward the outer side that is not on the port engine? I thought the engines would be identical? I wasn't able to see under there but I drew a diagram based on what I could feel. It is smaller in diameter than the oil filter and almost feels like a sleeve with a cap pressed into it. Kinda like a 2 piece filter wrench or plumbing clean out port? Can anyone tell me what this is and why it only appear on 1 engine?

2017-242x-oil-leak.jpg
mystery-part.jpg

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So we have had this boat for just about 1 year. Since new, I would occasionally see a really small amount of oil in the bilge area. I asked the dealer to check it out at end of season last year and they said they did not find any cause / leak. Recently the amount of oil I am seeing has increased (especially if we have been running hard pulling a big tube etc) and I now notice it in the bilge water. I did a little exploring today and the only oily surface I could find was under the starboard engine. Is this most likely an oil pan that isn't snugged down tight? Pretty sure the oil pump and cooler were not leaking.

MYSTERY PART - Also there is a cylindrical "port?" of some sort under the starboard engine toward the outer side that is not on the port engine? I thought the engines would be identical? I wasn't able to see under there but I drew a diagram based on what I could feel. It is smaller in diameter than the oil filter and almost feels like a sleeve with a cap pressed into it. Kinda like a 2 piece filter wrench or plumbing clean out port? Can anyone tell me what this is and why it only appear on 1 engine?

View attachment 81097
View attachment 81098
There is nothing like that in parts... Very curious.
https://www.babbittsonline.com/oemparts/c/yamaha_sport_boat_2017/parts

EDIT: Also do not see anything in that spot in the service manual, although I have a manual for AR/SX/L/LS, not X (same engines though).

Could that be an anode? (oddly placed)

--

Last edited:

nclacrosse

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Got a pic today and it's a plug ... Doesn't appear in any of the engine diagrams I have seen though.
It's also smashed up against the compartment floor, so I'm not sure how possible it will be to tighten it.

2017-242x-plug.jpg

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Got a pic today and it's a plug ... Doesn't appear in any of the engine diagrams I have seen though.
It's also smashed up against the compartment floor, so I'm not sure how possible it will be to tighten it.

View attachment 81186
Gee, thats odd...

@Neutron have you seen this in any newer skis? That is super odd, I think.

I think I would contact Yamaha if the dealer has no answers. Forward the pic to the dealer, too, as they can forward to Yamaha. I've never found a way to email directly, but they generally respond to calls.

--

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Never noticed one of those on my engines, if you un bolt the motor mounts on one side of the engine you may be able to lift up that side enough to tighten it , but that is all I can come up with.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
okay I am going to say it...
did you try to move that mystery part ? It kind looks to me that it got stuck between the floor and the engine. I know crazy, but I had 2 plastic parts on my boat that NO ONE has been able to id. That included the entire service department at my local dealer.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
veteran please correct me if I am wrong. But would that bilge pump deactivate once it detects oil inside of it ?
If that is true, he might need a back up bilge pump installed real quick

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree with @Betik
get a coat hanger and use it to pull the cap out of there. Looks like someone dropped a cap and it ended up getting lodged under the motor.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Also check your oil filter for leaks ,I just had a bad experience with a split filter case.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think @Betik is right! This is an odd part that does not belong. I bet it is trapped there!!!

--

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think @Betik is right! This is an odd part that does not belong. I bet it is trapped there!!!

--
I agree, not part of engine at all. Oil is coming from somewhere else.
Check oil cooler bolts where it bolts to engine.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I happened to find the exact same thing in my 2017 242x earlier this year. But instead of wedged under an engine it was rolling around in the bilge. I was told to put it back or the world would end.

https://jetboaters.net/threads/what-is-this.16742/

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
okay I am going to say it...
did you try to move that mystery part ? It kind looks to me that it got stuck between the floor and the engine.
WINNER!!!!

--

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Also, on a related note..... the part that I found has been at the dump since March and the world is still spinning, the oceans haven't drained and no demon from hell has set my boat on fire yet.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Also, on a related note..... the part that I found has been at the dump since March and the world is still spinning, the oceans haven't drained and no demon from hell has set my boat on fire yet.

--

nclacrosse

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Update: looks like oil is coming from oil tube / union (banjo) bolt feeding the chain tensioner assembly. Was able to tighten one of the bolts a little. Everything else was tight, but I am still getting some leakage after running for a few hours. My guess is one of the gaskets is shot or has some grit on it keeping it from sealing correctly? Opinion - is this significant enough to take it in to dealer now or just keep an eye on it and wait until the end of the season? Oil levels are still fine and I assume if it was bad enough to be causing damage, I would see oil sprayed all over the engine compartment.
upload_2018-8-27_14-52-1.png

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
As long as you can keep the oil level fine during the outing you should be good. I would make sure you are topping off and monitoring carefully but... I would not lose a weekend over this...

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Judging by this and the other threads, I'm going with the mystery part being something for testing the engine prior to install. As for the oil leak, just keep an eye on the level. if you think you have fixed the problem by tightening the bolt, I'd spray the area down with some brakekleen (this will piss someone off I'm sure) and make sure its not residual oil leaking down from before. You could also try to replace the (what I'm assuming are) copper washers that seal it for about a dollar if its still leaking from there after its all cleaned up.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@nclacrosse what was the outcome on this? Did the leak stop? Did the dealer ever do anything?

Merlion

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length