• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Our son learned to kneeboard on his 6th birthday

Volffas

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Our son decided that he wanted to try kneeboarding on his birthday this past Sunday 7/15. When he got up, he was the happiest kid in the world, and I was the proudest dad in the universe. There is nothing like seeing one of your kids do something for the first time and loving it.

My boy is almost 6. he finally got the courage to try the Zup board. He hasnt pulled the rope out of the hook yet, but it was great to see him finally try getting pulled by the boat. His biggest fear was when he falls off and hes in the middle of the lake by himself with the boat speeding away. It helped a ton having a bunch of older kids having a blast on the zup that day.

20180713_214823.jpg

My boy is almost 6. he finally got the courage to try the Zup board. He hasnt pulled the rope out of the hook yet, but it was great to see him finally try getting pulled by the boat. His biggest fear was when he falls off and hes in the middle of the lake by himself with the boat speeding away. It helped a ton having a bunch of older kids having a blast on the zup that day.

View attachment 79243

That's awesome! He'll get it soon enough. Our son started out by holding the sides of the board too. That only lasted 6 or 8 trips out, then on his birthday he worked up the nerve to grab the handle. The first time he tried to grab the handle I was going about 10mph and he couldn't get it out, so the 2nd time I kept the boat at 6mph until he had the rope out, that little bit of speed difference seemed to help.

The first time he fell off the board, my wife was driving the boat and as she came back to get him he started screaming bloody murder. He was convinced she didn't see him and was going to run over him. I've never seen him so terrified. I can imagine that a 23' boat sitting 4 feet out of the water coming at you when you aren't even 6 yet could be pretty intimidating! Once we had him in the boat and talked him through the process and assured him that we will never run over him, he was all good.

I wish I could get my 7yr old out there. He's scared of it for some reason, but just shuts down when we press him on it. SO we let it slide, as we want the boat to be a place to relax, not to be nervous.

He's tried it a few times with me on the wakeskate with him, but doesn't like the water in his face. He got a new mask/snorkel the other day, and I think I've got him convinced to wear that and give it a try the next time we're out. Getting a couple other kids on the board would be a huge help for him. He tends to sit back and watch what happens, then decide if it's right for him or not.

Anywho, congrats to the OP for the milestone!

I wish I could get my 7yr old out there. He's scared of it for some reason, but just shuts down when we press him on it. SO we let it slide, as we want the boat to be a place to relax, not to be nervous.

He's tried it a few times with me on the wakeskate with him, but doesn't like the water in his face. He got a new mask/snorkel the other day, and I think I've got him convinced to wear that and give it a try the next time we're out. Getting a couple other kids on the board would be a huge help for him. He tends to sit back and watch what happens, then decide if it's right for him or not.

Anywho, congrats to the OP for the milestone!

Thanks, I really think he just got bored of watching all of the other kids kneeboard all day and finally decided he wanted to give it a try. I'm sure he wouldn't have done it if he wasn't watching everyone else have fun. I'm sure your son will wake up one day and decide he's ready.

Thanks, I really think he just got bored of watching all of the other kids kneeboard all day and finally decided he wanted to give it a try. I'm sure he wouldn't have done it if he wasn't watching everyone else have fun. I'm sure your son will wake up one day and decide he's ready.

Sure hope thats the case. I've been riding boards on the water since I was about 8yrs old. Over 3 decades of it now with rarely a summer that I didn't end up on a board at least once or twice. In my older youth I even did some slightly sketching riding. 36in Diameter Lazy Susan once. Upside down picnic table once. I tell my buddies I can ride anything that goes in the water, and some things that can't. I sure hope the little picks it up here soon, mom has a much easier time justifying "toys" for him as compared to dad. I could get RideSteady in a few days time if he asks for it. I'm on month 9 of asking for it :D

Back