• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need your advice on how to handle a neighbor

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
This has been a helpful post for me as we are having a issue with our neighbors dogs barking for sometimes hours at a time. Our houses are on 1 acre lots so it’s not like our houses are that close to each other.

They have a sheltie and a recently acquired dachshund that like to bark at any and everything that moves. We contacted the neighbor one night after the sheltie had been barking for 3 hours and nicely asked if the dog was ok. Turns out nobody was home, he had the dachshund with him and he stated that the dog was fine since they have a doggie door into garage and can come and as it pleased. He knew what I was referring to though because he said he was sorry it had ruined our evening on our lanai kind of sarcastically.

From what I have researched our County doesn’t have any laws pertaining to nuisance dogs and only has noise ordinances pertaining to dB levels so I don’t think there is anything they will do about it.
In Florida it appears to be done by County. If Alva is in Lee County there is an ordinance, but I did not download the PDF. I just gugld it.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Not sure why you're mad @Julian.

Neighbor gave you a heads up, sounds like the kid didn't solve the issue but just drove a little bit slower.

Neighbor may have done your daughter and you a favor. I know nothing about the kid, but often these types of cars are targeted (as well as the driver) and things go south very quickly. The kid was breaking the law, and has an easy out (fix the problems). Hopefully he takes it as a life lesson. If he doesn't hopefully your daughter finds a new BF.

I probably would have done the same as the neighbor. Send a text if I don't see you around (I won't try to spend my time locating you in person). If the issue is still bothering me weeks later, call the cops. I don't need to directly confront a kid who might be underage and will probably end up ignoring me or in a heated exchange. Never know how south this can go (kid swings, I defend myself). I see no reason to give you a heads up at this point.

What I do know is that your family brought in an obnoxious POS car into the neighborhood and didn't resolve the issue when given the chance. Now you want to bash the guy on FaceBook and call him a pussy. I don't know about him, but if my neighbors did this to me... it would be on. I wouldn't stop until you moved. Plenty of legal and grey areas to make life hell for a long time..... Basically - drink a beer and let it go.

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
In Florida it appears to be done by County. If Alva is in Lee County there is an ordinance, but I did not download the PDF. I just gugld it.
We are in Lee County, I will have to check again.

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Julian You stated that you were out of town for a couple of weeks. I wonder if the noisy car became a big issue since you were not there to make sure he kept it quiet?

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Had a long discussion with the neighbor. He apologized for not calling me before engaging with the police. It was a good discussion, and he was clearly feeling very defensive, as he realized that in his zealousness to "solve the problem" he failed to think about how a friend should act. He was aggravated, other neighbors were too, and they lit their torches and got caught up in the "chase". He says that He didn't personally call the police, but knew they were being called. He also CLAIMS that it was pure coincidence that he was there when they were pulled over. That he'd stopped to chat with the trooper when the car went by. He said he was on his way home from work. I asked him if he was in the habit of stopping and talking to State Troopers and he became evasive. This is where his story crumbled. I would have had much more respect for him if he'd said...."I saw the trooper and pulled over to talk to him about the car". I think he was embarrassed when he realized how much of an active role he played in his interactions with the police without talking, calling, texting, me to let me know.

Trust is earned. I'll be totally cordial with this guy from now on. If he keeps raising (the absurd stance) that it was pure coincidence that he was there with the Trooper its just going to diminish my trust (as the only reason to do this is if he still feels guilty).

The boyfriend is getting a new car....and I've told him - "If you fuck with the exhaust on this car - I'LL be the one calling the cops" - his reply "No way I'm messing with it - I promise". Two other neighbors have chatted with me about it and said it was a dick move. They are "car guys" and said teens will be teens and he made an obvious effort to quieten the car down after I talked to him. As far as they were concerned, it wasn't a problem worth calling the cops over.....but grumpy old men....will be grumpy old men.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
As a car guy, someone with a muffler delete on a Honda should be in jail. Muffler delete on a Hemi, we will be friends lol.

SwimBikeRunBoat

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm surprised no-one seems concerned that this BF is driving your daughter around without a valid driving license?
If he is okay doing that then it shows a complete lack of critical thinking on his part - what else does he think its okay to do, and dragging your daughter along too.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
As a car guy, someone with a muffler delete on a Honda should be in jail. Muffler delete on a Hemi, we will be friends lol.
I have a built mustang GT for my son when he turns of age next year. He talked me into long tube headers. I am driving the car, I also have my truck to drive. When I take it out of the shop and drive home. I literally idle through the neighborhood, so the volume is not deafening. Cold starts are the loudest of course. I always start it with the garage door down and then I open it. Is it louder than a straight piped honda, IDK.

@Julian I think the important part is it's not your daughter's car, it's her boyfriend's car.

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'm surprised no-one seems concerned that this BF is driving your daughter around without a valid driving license?
If he is okay doing that then it shows a complete lack of critical thinking on his part - what else does he think its okay to do, and dragging your daughter along too.
Oh trust me....I was FUCKING PISSED when I discovered the kid had no license. I knew he failed his written driving test by one question and that he was scheduled to retake it (today), but I had no idea that his permit was expired!!!! I also had a heart to heart with the boy about trust.....he should never have taken the car without checking that the plates were indeed valid. That said, this whole concept of trading cars, "buying" cars on installment with friends etc, is totally foreign to me, but something that is common with people in his socio economic status (I discussed this with the Trooper).

I've also talked to his Mom about this whole thing, and she is very embarrassed about the whole situation. We (my wife and I) are helping out with our knowledge and time to get the kid back on the right track (wife is taking him to his drivers test today. We've been helping him study, I took him out to do some driving practice etc - although the kid is a great driver, he needed pointers on what a test person will look for - BOTH hands on the wheel! Turn signals! etc. Although the kid can drift....so he could teach me some stuff too!!! Just hope/pray mom doesn't buy him a rear wheel drive new car!!!)

Last edited:

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I asked him if he was in the habit of stopping and talking to State Troopers and he became evasive.
Friends huh???? You hit me with this face to face and I'm gonna tell you to go eat a dick.

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Friends huh???? You hit me with this face to face and I'm gonna tell you to go eat a dick.
I believe hitting him with that face to face was julian telling the friend to eat a dick for calling the police over a non criminal nuisance issue.

This friendship is in trouble.

Last edited:

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You must have skipped my post.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
So much dick eating

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Okay, I'm confused. Can a teen with a permit drive a car in NC without a qualified driver?

Even in the kid just got his license, I would be wary of his driving skills at this point in his life. Probably still honing them for the first six months with a license.

Jim

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Okay, I'm confused. Can a teen with a permit drive a car in NC without a qualified driver?

Even in the kid just got his license, I would be wary of his driving skills at this point in his life. Probably still honing them for the first six months with a license.

Jim
To be fair - I think 80% of people are still honing in their driving skills, regardless of age. I have zero faith in humanity when it comes to motor vehicles/vessels lol.

DogDadDave

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
About 4 or so years ago my neighbor got re-married and sold his house for pennies to his new step son, who was 23 at the time. He moved in with his deleted F350 and brought in a few young roommates with various tuned cars, which of course meant their friends and siblings with what I'd call "shitboxes" coming to visit all the time. Our master bedroom was in the front of the house and my wife had to be out of the house at 6am every day to be in the OR. After a few nights of people showing up and revving their muffler-less vehicles between 11pm and 1am, I brought it up to my neighbor by simply asking who was visiting all the time at night with loud cars. It all stopped immediately, and was never a problem again for the next couple years until we moved.

That being said... it's really not your neighbor's fault that all this other stuff came up during the stop. He probably thought he'd get hit with a noise violation and have to put a muffler on. I doubt he knew anything about any title issues, expired permits, tire tread depth, etc.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My neighbor across the street had this old POS Ford F-350 dually that started leaking oil real bad. It would leak so much oil, that the oil was literally running down the gutter.
@Babin Farms @zipper @Betik
Just to clarify for the record, this was not my truck !!