• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need your advice on how to handle a neighbor

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would like to have had this and other discussions without vendor participation. But that is impossible on this forum. According to the rules:
Forum Content must not:
-Do not post the SAME content to multiple forums/sub forums. Only post your content ONCE. Violations of this will result in your duplicate posts being deleted and your posting rights may be suspended (temporarily while we contact you about the SPAM problem).
-Resellers are asked not to spam the board with their links and sales pitches. Resellers who do will be handled like any other member breaking the rules.

Just sayin'
Blunt feedback......Did you use the report feature on the post you thought objectionable? Mods may or may not read all posts, so if you see something out of place, help them out.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@BIk

actually the thought had crossed my mind, in that it’s got over 100k miles on its original turbo and may not have been maintained properly to begin with. I would “loan” my son my wife’s and my spare car if he needed it on the condition that he either sells or fixes his within 6 months, if he didn’t it goes on Craigslist or face book market place as a mechanics special/dirt cheap.
I'm not a big speed3 guy, but I think the majority of the catastrophic issues they had were from the direct I jection system going bad, either causing a lean condition and blowing it up or just dying outright and not working. Well, that and being tuned by a dude with a vape pen and a Cobb access port for all the boost.

They used the same motor in the speed6, and the cx7 with a little fewer reliability issues. Still not a great motor, I think at the time they were just figuring out the whole direct injected turbo 4 banger thing. Now that's what every smaller car has in it.

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Blunt feedback......Did you use the report feature on the post you thought objectionable? Mods may or may not read all posts, so if you see something out of place, help them out.
Sorry, typed this in the wrong thread. I will delete.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm not a big speed3 guy, but I think the majority of the catastrophic issues they had were from the direct I jection system going bad, either causing a lean condition and blowing it up or just dying outright and not working. Well, that and being tuned by a dude with a vape pen and a Cobb access port for all the boost.

They used the same motor in the speed6, and the cx7 with a little fewer reliability issues. Still not a great motor, I think at the time they were just figuring out the whole direct injected turbo 4 banger thing. Now that's what every smaller car has in it.
I looked deep into the speed6 market a few years back. General rule of thumb for reliability was to stay out of boost below like 4k rpm or something like that. Had weak connecting rods, and once bent from low rpm/high load use like that they would start causing issues elsewhere. Guessing it was the same thing on the speed3.

Mazda has ALWAYS done shady shit with turbo's though. Had a second gen RX7 Turbo II back when I was into working on cars. Boost control on that car was TERRIBLE, because the Mazda engineers assumed stock restrictions in front of the turbo. Once you put a decent cold side intake on it, or a new intercooler, you would have all kinds of really bad boost spikes, and all the problems that come with that. Take a Saturday, pull the turbo and port the wastegate opening and actuator puck, then replumb the control lines to read from the manifold instead of the intercooler and you would get rock solid boost.

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Honestly @Julian I wonder if your neighbor doesn't have a thread about you on a forum somewhere? Kind of surprised by some of your posts.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Oh wow. I just read this whole thread in one sitting. I don't know... SO much to unpack.

As a father of three (3) teenage ladies your story certainly struck a cord...

I will say though, you are giving a whole new meaning to "Keeping Up With the Joneses", aren't you?

This is more like "Keeping Up with the Kardashians", lol.

--

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Oh wow. I just read this whole thread in one sitting. I don't know... SO much to unpack.

As a father of three (3) teenage ladies your story certainly struck a cord...

I will say though, you are giving a whole new meaning to "Keeping Up With the Joneses", aren't you?

This is more like "Keeping Up with the Kardashians", lol.

--
Yeah....she could start her own show....(not sure what it would be called). Strange part is this latest boyfriend is actually a nice guy....all the prior ones have been assholes...he just likes loud pipes and tinted windows (like many teens).
The neighbor...not worth my time. Was cathartic posting my thoughts though, and talking to him brought closure...I'll be civil (and not much more) with him from now on.

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
His favorite song is probably "loud pipes" by Lil Wayne🤣

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I raised 2 daughters, one is almost 23 the other is 22 this May, let me just say the "nice guy" is the one you have to watch out for the most.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I can't say too much about the kid. I did a boat load of BS shenanigans when I was that age.

Was once arrested twice within two weeks for speeding. Yes. Taken to jail, in handcuffs, for speeding.......What's even more fun, is at the time I owned the SLOWEST vehicle of my friend group. '00 S10 with a 4cyl. It was loud and obnoxious, and had "that look", so I got picked on. Buddy had a Lincoln Mark 8 that would run in the low 11's, but it looked like a grandpa car so he never got a second look.

Still managed to land my smokin hot wife with this POS-Mobile though.......I'm certain though, as much as I thought it was at the time, the truck was NOT helping my case!
1642797948716.png

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I can't say too much about the kid. I did a boat load of BS shenanigans when I was that age.

Was once arrested twice within two weeks for speeding. Yes. Taken to jail, in handcuffs, for speeding.......What's even more fun, is at the time I owned the SLOWEST vehicle of my friend group. '00 S10 with a 4cyl. It was loud and obnoxious, and had "that look", so I got picked on. Buddy had a Lincoln Mark 8 that would run in the low 11's, but it looked like a grandpa car so he never got a second look.

Still managed to land my smokin hot wife with this POS-Mobile though.......I'm certain though, as much as I thought it was at the time, the truck was NOT helping my case!
View attachment 169982
I dig that truck. Was it a stick shift? Those little s10 xtreme were great, stupid reliable, just enough space, just enough sport, just enough truck. Would never work today because they werent crew cabs.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I raised 2 daughters, one is almost 23 the other is 22 this May, let me just say the "nice guy" is the one you have to watch out for the most.
This is probably the truth lol. I was always very nice but stupid (still am to a degree). My wife's dad bailed me out of jail when we were a year into dating. Not sure how he let me stick around, but now she gets annoyed because he tells me he is proud of me all the time lol.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I dig that truck. Was it a stick shift? Those little s10 xtreme were great, stupid reliable, just enough space, just enough sport, just enough truck. Would never work today because they werent crew cabs.
Yeap. 2.2L of 99whp 5 speed shifted FURY!!!!! Would do a burnout for DAYS after I put a Torsen limited slip takeout from a Firebird. Once I put the 275's all around and the 3/5 drop it handled exceptionally well. Had TONS of grip and only weighed about 2,900lba with the stepside bed (plastic from the body line down). Moved the front suspension to GBody UCAs, tall ball joints, and 2g Blazer spindles. Gave me a better camber curve and sealed bearings. Machines a custom bracket to get C5 rotors and calipers on there. Had WAY WAY more brakes than power in that thing.

You could beat the ever loving crap out of this truck and it would just take it. Everything was so wildly overbuilt it just didn't care, combined with the super low power output it just wouldn't break. Side step the clutch at 4500rpm and you would get some wheel spin then take off.

I bought that thing Brand New the day after Thanksgiving in '99 as a sport suspension fleetside. Had the bed hit in '02 and moved to the stepside, and threw the ground effects on it. Lots and lots of suspension work. Ran airbags over the axle to maintain ride height with load. Have a picture somewhere with 2 ricks of wood on the back at that height. Looks absurd but worked.

Put a shade over 200k miles on that truck. Loved through many important life events. Learned a lot from a variety of places with that truck taking me there and back. Won't lie, kinda miss the simplicity from time to time.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

View attachment 169982
Agree, many of us pushed the limits growing up. I installed many performance mods available in the mid 80's. Some were known owner hacks like installing an knock sensor ignition/distributor from an 86 GTI in a 1983 solid lifter 1.9l 4cyl with a 10.5:1 CR. Porting and polishing, I too did cat deletes but left aftermarket exhaust muffler intact to pass State inspection. The suspension was not left untouched either. Old pic. from 1985 before I put larger rims and a low profile Yokahama A-008 tire package on.

I used a Passport radar detector at the time, you can see it on the dash and still was handed 3 speeding tickets in 6 months, 9pts...10pts= lose license. I slowed down some after that and managed to hold on to my license since.

20220123_090915.jpg

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I had a 90’s Mazda 323 and a 90’s s10. Both 4 cylinder manuals.

No nostalgia here.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I would like to have had this and other discussions without vendor participation. But that is impossible on this forum. According to the rules:
Forum Content must not:
-Do not post the SAME content to multiple forums/sub forums. Only post your content ONCE. Violations of this will result in your duplicate posts being deleted and your posting rights may be suspended (temporarily while we contact you about the SPAM problem).
-Resellers are asked not to spam the board with their links and sales pitches. Resellers who do will be handled like any other member breaking the rules.

Just sayin'
I woulda called the cops on all of you guys, what with your loud cars and your rock and roll...what do you wanna do with your life?

View attachment 170048
we want(Ed) to rock!

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other