• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Polished Stainless Boat Registration Numbers - Coast Guard ok with them?

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I never took a picture of ours there, it is likely to have the number somewhere in the cabin or cockpit on the hull. The number is painted in block numbers/letters on the inner hull. The HIN is a different animal all together. Mine is engraved starboard side outer hull aft near the engine cooling water outlet.

Last edited:

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have used the chrome numbers for 2 seasons on my boat and have not had issues. It all depends on the angles and lighting conditions. Just a small amount of angle can change the whole look of the lettering. Sometimes my numbers blend right in and sometimes they have a nice stark contrast against the hull. I think as others said a lot of it depends on your own lake and how you behave driving or on the water that may determined if you get stopped or not.

That being said I did the chrome lettering for that purpose, to blend in and change the look depending on angles or lighting. Eventually I’m going to upgrade to a 3D letter and have white inside with chrome outer bevel as I think it will have an overall more finished appearance than just my flat chrome letters. Overall I like them for my intended use and haven’t had any issues with LEO’s on the waters.

CAF0FB63-A826-4812-9B7A-2F1F779AE63D.jpegC4364820-CF3A-4A51-A5BE-1FF0BEC29783.jpegF03F835B-9810-4DA5-928D-4DFE3FFF71E0.jpeg537249C3-2DCA-404A-AD20-87409605FFF2.jpeg

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
For full disclosure...I was wrong in my post above about the USCG official # being the same number on my sails. I don't know what I was looking at, thinking, but they are not the same numbers. My appology for incorrect info.

Edit: I looked up our boat, the official #, 6 numbers, is not even close to the sail number, 5 numbers. I erased part of the USCG official and HIN #'s.

20210318_171420.jpg

Last edited:

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
That's interesting. All of my work yachts/boats (108' down to 33') that were registered through the years have never had this displayed inside. The HIN has always been displayed on the hull somewhere but never the Doc #.

Learn something new every day
Yep same here. I can only think of maybe twice in 25 years where i have seen some #’s down in the lazarette. I am all through the boats too and never seen any. Must be something that owners dont or captains dont even care about or the coast guard doesn't care about or chk.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Actually they are. Well the name is not regulated but the hailing port is because the name and hailing port replaces the #’s. On a boat with a hailing port you dont jave registration #’s on the hull. Hailing port is supposed to be 4” in height. In a nutshell Your name and port are registered and this takes the place of hull #’s.
Same in Canada 10cm/4in high letters/numbers for name and port. But that only applies when your boat is registered. In Canada, you only need to register if you have a marine mortgage with your pleasure craft. If not, you only need to license with the province and display # on the forward hull. Commercial and government vessels all need to be registered over 15 tons displaced. If your boat is a pleasure craft licensed in the province, you can display your name and/or port any way you wish as it's not part of the licensing requirements.

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length
@swatski what kind/brand of trailer jack is that?

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

kgower

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SE
Boat Length

MGrande305

Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
@MGrande305, If you don’t do anything stupid or illegal they shouldn’t need to bother you or stop you. They are not just going to stop you just for registration unless it clearly violates regulations. In this case, polished SS finish is silver in color and on blue boat is considered contrasting as required by regulation. This would be a situation no different IMO than dark tinted windows on a car, generally you don’t get pulled over just for that, but if you get pulled over for something else and have darker than legal windows, you will get a ticket. Ask me how I know?
I’ve had silver raised lettering on white background for 10 years (212 SS below), no issues. I’ve had polished raised lettering on my current boat since 2019, no issues. Only sharing my thoughts and experience here. Get the polished ones but obey the law on the water and you should be fine. If they hassle you, plastidip, paint, or your favorite color tape and a razor blade will take care of the issue 😁

Happy boating!

View attachment 144588
View attachment 144589
That Chrome over the blue looks awesome! Where did u get those? And what font is it? Thanks!

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

tkeru408

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What is that orange thing she is holding up?
To be sure she was holding that creeper for me! - to hop on and do my Rejex magic on the bottom of the hull.
One of these days I'm going to splurge on a set of those nifty boat lifters that elevate a boat off a trailer for easier access.

--

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Chatt_Jetsetter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I just put my registration numbers on today. Purchased from 3D Lettering on Amazon as well. Seemed a bit high for some stickers, but they came very nicely packaged, and they come pre-arranged so you can install them easily and spaced perfectly. I'm really happy with them, as long as they hold on! If it bothers you that the TN registration sticker isn't perfectly aligned top to bottom with the numbers, just know it bothers me too :p

20210409_133647.jpg
20210409_133721.jpg

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yatch are registered by name not numbers, at least in fl
If USCG registered, you have a name and hailing port that is to be applied to the exterior of the hull, usually on the transom. With that name you choose, the USCG also gives you a 6 or 7 digit number, our sailboat has a 6 digit number from when it was registered with them in the 90's. That number must be permanetly fixed via painting or epoxying a plackard to the inside of the hull, out of sight, for theft reasons. In one of my posts above, I show some of that information from 1997. When I looked up our number it was then named Indulgence, out of Stamford, Conn.

If you register with the State of Florida, you will have a FL #### ## number/letters to put on either side of the exterior bow via stickers.

Last edited: