• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Port engine not turning over

JetboatBrad

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hi all, I have a 18’ Yamaha 242 SE and my port engine is not starting now. The starter seems to be engaging but clicks or sometimes sounds like it’s thumping. Like “click, click, click, click, click. But not cranking. Starboard starts fine. I have a video of it but can’t figure out how to attach it. I turned the impeller maybe a rotation with some channel locks to be sure the impeller wasn’t stuck. Anyone know how I can turn the crank by hand? I know it’s in neutral until the engine starts so turning the impeller won’t turn the crank.
Thanks all for the help in advance

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Initially it sounds like a low voltage issue. But you may have something stuck in the impeller preventing the engine from turning over. These boats/engines are "direct drive" , there is no transmission or neutral in the drivetrain. If the impeller is stuck, by a piece of debris, the engine will not turn over. To crank by hand, pull the spark plugs and then you should be able to turn the driveshaft coupling if nothing is stuck in the impeller. I upload videos to Youtube first and share/post a link to it.
EDIT: You said here and on the other thread that you got the impeller to turn some so probably not stuck or stuck enough that the starter won't turn. Try the cleanout hatch switches. if they are not fully engaged by the hatch, engine will not crank. They are adjustable. Another no crank scenerio is when throttle(s) are not in neutral. If the engines cranked but did not fire up, first place to check is the lanyard.

Last edited:

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Does it start sometimes or just not at all now?

Slfmde

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It’s the kill switch under the clean out port hatch. Loosen the kill switch nut and move it up so it makes contact with the hatch when closed.

You can also place a penny or something on top of the switch and close the hatch. Temp fix so it makes contact with the hatch.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
It’s the kill switch under the clean out port hatch. Loosen the kill switch nut and move it up so it will LSW contact with the hatch when closed.

You can also place a penny or something on top of the switch and close the hatch. Temp fix so it makes contact with the hatch.
Pretty sure if this was the issue, it would do nothing at all, also I think this would affect both engines. It sounds like the issue is more like when the lanyard is disconnected.

Slfmde

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Pretty sure if this was the issue, it would do nothing at all, also I think this would affect both engines. It sounds like the issue is more like when the lanyard is disconnected.
No it’s happened to me. The other engine will start and the one that needs kill switch adjusted just clicks. Each engine has their own kill switch.

Could still be another issue but that’s how it acts when the kill switch needs to be adjusted.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
No it’s happened to me. The other engine will start and the one that needs kill switch adjusted just clicks. Each engine has their own kill switch.

Could still be another issue but that’s how it acts when the kill switch needs to be adjusted.
Weird, my 210 is not like that. There is only one switch under my hatch, and when it is open, if you go to start, it does nothing....just like if the throttles are in gear.

Slfmde

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Weird, my 210 is not like that. There is only one switch under my hatch, and when it is open, if you go to start, it does nothing....just like if the throttles are in gear.
I just assumed all twin engines had two kill switches because I have a 2017, 240. Mine clicked like the battery was dying.

mraz72

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
since one motor starts, this wouldn't seem to be the issue, but the click click click is how a car starter would sound when not getting enough voltage from the battery. I assume two starters and two sets of cables between the batteries and starters? All connections look solid/clean?
Maybe bad starter?

JetboatBrad

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Does it start sometimes or just not at all now?
Initially it sounds like a low voltage issue. But you may have something stuck in the impeller preventing the engine from turning over. These boats/engines are "direct drive" , there is no transmission or neutral in the drivetrain. If the impeller is stuck, by a piece of debris, the engine will not turn over. To crank by hand, pull the spark plugs and then you should be able to turn the driveshaft coupling if nothing is stuck in the impeller. I upload videos to Youtube first and share/post a link to it.
EDIT: You said here and on the other thread that you got the impeller to turn some so probably not stuck or stuck enough that the starter won't turn. Try the cleanout hatch switches. if they are not fully engaged by the hatch, engine will not crank. They are adjustable. Another no crank scenerio is when throttle(s) are not in neutral. If the engines cranked but did not fire up, first place to check is the lanyard.

JetboatBrad

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks guys, It sounds like it is cranking and the starboard engine fires up. I initially thought it was a neutral issue or possibly the cleanout safety switch but those have always been no engine/both engines kind of thing. It sounds like the starter is trying to run a start cycle. I did turn the impeller a little, like maybe half a turn or so. So that’s where my knowledge limit was reached. I’ll pull the plugs today and see if I can get her to crank

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
if you're getting a clicking from the starter then throttles and cleanout hatch are not the issue,

I might try to get a direct wire to the starter to jump it, otherwise get a multi meter to get some readings,

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm confused your first post said it was clicking and not cranking,
your last post says it's cranking,

If your cranking and it's not firing then it could be your safety lanyard, the older boats the safety lanyard had a connections underneath for each engine and we've seen a couple times one of those connections would go bad,

JetboatBrad

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
since one motor starts, this wouldn't seem to be the issue, but the click click click is how a car starter would sound when not getting enough voltage from the battery. I assume two starters and two sets of cables between the batteries and starters? All connections look solid/clean?
Maybe bad starter?
Yes there’s definitely only one cleanout safety switch. I looked pretty thoroughly. The one is pretty much centered in the middle. It has 2 sets of battery cables and a bridge valve to jump the 2. I’ve tried it all ways with the same outcome. Also the star engine fires right up. I’ll try and hook up some some jumper cables too today. I’ll try to figure out how to post that video on YouTube and send a link. Gimme a few and I’ll have it on here

JetboatBrad

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
if you're getting a clicking from the starter then throttles and cleanout hatch are not the issue,

I might try to get a direct wire to the starter to jump it, otherwise get a multi meter to get some readings,

Sorry @Scottintexas
It is not cranking or turning over. Just click click click click click like it’s running its cycle but no turn over. That would be nice I would look for spark problems at that point. Native Texan in Cal

JetboatBrad

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I think maybe I found the problem. Looks like a bad connection in the relay box. I’m gonna put a new connector on it and see if that does the trick

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Take a picture when you do it so we know for sure what you're talking about