• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Preferred Coolers - Soft or Hard Shell

Which type of cooler?

• Soft Coolers

Votes: 18 54.5%
  • Hard Coolers

Votes: 15 45.5%

• Total voters
I have just been revamping my cooler collection... trending away from a hap hazard collection to coolers that fit my boats and fit my use...

I have a couple of these: Milwaukee 16qt they hold Ice well and they can support one person for a day $100... these fit under my bucket seats without taking up much space...

and one of these I just got: Sportsman's Guide 60 Qt holds ice very well and made in USA $200... I use this for large outings and overnights... and it lives between the bow seats with a couple bungies to the o shit handles

Its important to note BBB (Blond Beach Barbie) has to have cold beer and snacks and rarely says no if the colors are patriotic LOL

RTIC is having a sale right now. 10-15% some hard coolers and most soft.

We switched to soft AO Coolers that slide under the seats out of the way thanks to another member here who mentioned them. They're still easy to access for drinks or food packs without having to pull them out - zippers open toward the stern. The best part is, they're out of the way of foot traffic and don't move or slide while boating:

View attachment 180983
Have you had any issue with the zippers or overall quality seem pretty good?

This. Depends on amount of people too. Often the Hard is for drinks and soft for PubSubs.

This is pretty much what we would do. Bigger hard cooler for drinks, smaller hard.cooler for food and snacks. Our smaller hard cooler fits under the Lounger on the sx230.

I bought 3 ao coolers and only one didn't leak after a year of use. Still like the duffel style for food with freezer packs, but we were really let down by ao.

We've had no issues with our coolers. We've read of older versions having leaks and rips but the newer models have a thicker liner so I think they've fixed those issues. This is season two with the coolers.

I removed the bench seat in my 192, and an RTIC 65 fits there nicely and acts as a great seat. I bought the RTIC seat pad for it, but it’s a little too thick so we just run without it.

Bought a couple soft rtic and then picked up a ozark trail 36 can welded. Comparing them all before I decide which to return. The rtic soft 30 can only weighs 4lbs empty. Its really nice but the stiff zipper is annoying. I lubed the seals and it's still tight.

On the other hand, the ozark has no zipper. It weighs 9lbs and also has a hard inner liner to make cleaning a breeze.

Decisions decisions. I wont do a hard on the boat for space reasons.

^^^^^^

I think I finally found my Goldilocks of coolers. I was about ready to spend a couple hundred bucks on a pair of RTIC soft coolers, when I saw these on slickdeals (still on sale). Its a soft outside with a molded plastic inside, and its coated in Microban to keep the cooler ick and smell from forming. They have a nice closing mechanism which is air and water tight, and easily hold ice for 1.5 days despite repeated openings. Can put a dozen of the big 16oz aluminum bottles, 6 bottles of water, big sandwich, and 10lbs of ice in each one with room to spare. The latch can be a little annoying, but its easier than the zipper models.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-36-Can-Welded-Hard-Sided-Cooler-Black/152188643

ED8C2B57-FECD-4BA9-BE52-6A9994BF3635.jpeg

Stickers are still on there while we were evaluating it, but they will be keepers. I just need to make a little filler pad for that compartment so they will sit even, but I'm a huge fan.

West Marine has YETI gear 20% off - ends today (7/18)

I bought 3 ao coolers and only one didn't leak after a year of use. Still like the duffel style for food with freezer packs, but we were really let down by ao.

FYI, if they are leaking, you can usually find a pinhole somewhere in the liner. Put a dab of aqua seal on it and that should take care of it.

We use the Yeti M30 and the Yeti BackFlip 24 the M30 is nice with the magnetic top. The BackFlip is nice when we are going on the islands you just use like a backpack.

Totally a soft cooler on my boat, even guests (unless pulling an over-niter) Mine is a round springing type like a Top Hat, crush it down flat, let it go and it pops back into shape. Came from the GoodWill bin. Almost past its service life but it fits so well under the accessory bow cushion that it's hard to let go. Doubles as an out of the way adult beverage empty can holder with a zipper on it to keep prying eyes away.

^^^^^^

I think I finally found my Goldilocks of coolers. I was about ready to spend a couple hundred bucks on a pair of RTIC soft coolers, when I saw these on slickdeals (still on sale). Its a soft outside with a molded plastic inside, and its coated in Microban to keep the cooler ick and smell from forming. They have a nice closing mechanism which is air and water tight, and easily hold ice for 1.5 days despite repeated openings. Can put a dozen of the big 16oz aluminum bottles, 6 bottles of water, big sandwich, and 10lbs of ice in each one with room to spare. The latch can be a little annoying, but its easier than the zipper models.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-36-Can-Welded-Hard-Sided-Cooler-Black/152188643

View attachment 182994

Stickers are still on there while we were evaluating it, but they will be keepers. I just need to make a little filler pad for that compartment so they will sit even, but I'm a huge fan.

Just bought the same thing and I think it's a winner. We dont even latch ours between uses. Just press the top down enough.

Thanks @Babin Farms After reading your post in another thread I picked up two of these.

Just got 2 AO Stow and n Go Coolers. Both fit perfect under the port side bench seat. Free's up so much needed room in the port storage from the hard cooler.

20220728_162136.jpg20220728_162150.jpg

SX195, I use the RTIC 45 behind the captions chair. Its mounted with straps to the floor pretty much and stays in the boat. I added a seaDek pad to use as a seat or ottoman. So far this setup has worked well for me.

Attachments

• 20220410_185334.jpg
    20220410_185334.jpg
    928.9 KB · Views: 26
SX195, I use the RTIC 45 behind the captions chair. Its mounted with straps to the floor pretty much and stays in the boat. I added a seaDek pad to use as a seat or ottoman. So far this setup has worked well for me.

Thats a nice cooler. I don't have the room unless I can one narrow and put it the Port Storage, which is what I was trying to free. up.

Bought two new soft coolers and test drive them this weekend. The RTIC is the 30 can size. The Mission is advertised as a 40 can size. They are the same height and width, the Mission is a few inches deeper. The height is perfect fit for under the rear starboard storage compartment. They are slightly wider than the inset for the cooler in this area, but fit at a slight angle. Both have a full inch of foam on all sides and float in the water, even when full. Everything stayed as cool throughout the day as in an expensive hard cooler.

The zippers for each are identical and come with a tube of lube. The RTIC is basic with the one external pocket on the front. The Mission has mesh pockets on the sides for drinks, a larger one on the back and one on the inside that could be a little bigger. It also has D hooks for tie downs on the bottom front and back and rubber grips on the bottom to prevent sliding.

The RTIC is a good value at $120, and I got it on sale for $80 which made it even better. While they have a lot of colors, I didn’t care for any of them. My wife picked this color which is close to the color of her Yetis, but isn’t a match. The Mission is pricey at $198, but is still much less than a Yeti. (A 40 can RTIC is $150.) I looked at prices of soft coolers with similar insulation at Bass Pro and Dick’s and these weren’t significantly more.
5CBAC7FA-864E-46FB-BC93-CB33413F8C18.jpeg
AC0CFCEA-5602-4779-ADE4-FA70C3C27834.jpeg

I thought the microban coating on the cooler I linked above was a gimmick, but it isn't. We accidentally left our cooler on th'm e boat for a week, normally the water inside and surfaces would be scummy as hell - they weren't. I'm impressed.

We bought the cooler because it fit the chocks on the boat perfectly. Igloo 94 qt, 140 can. It has snaps on the side of the lid to fasten a cushion for additional seating for two.

4C397511-D1D4-45C7-B799-1A8C1D7BD14C.jpeg

1995 Boston Whaler Outrage 18, project fishing boat.

Back