• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Problems with steering and throttle.

Denniss

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hello everyone,

So i just bought a Yamaha 230sx 2006, fantastic boat but after few hours reading on this forum i discovered that the steering and throttle cables is normal to fail? My boat is really really hard to steer and the throttle on one of the engines is like pushing 10kg. So i figured i just change all the wires before summer.
Since im in Sweden we got about really bad supply of Yamaha parts so its gonna be ebay, since shipping is like half the cost i dont want to buy the wrong parts.

Iv read the FAQ about cables but i dont understand if i need x2 of each cable?

What i figured is i need:
F0R-U1470-10-00 (steering) x2?
F1C-U7252-10-00 (throttle) is this the right one or do i need the one named F1C-U7252-12-00? x2?
F1C-U149C-01-00 (reverse) x2?

This will hopefully solve my steering and throttle problems, or do i need more cables?

Thanks

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Your cables probably are rusted inside, leading to the issues you're describing. You could try spraying and soaking with PB Blaster or some other kind of anti-rust spray and let them sit, but more than likely you'll have to replace.

Denniss

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Your cables probably are rusted inside, leading to the issues you're describing. You could try spraying and soaking with PB Blaster or some other kind of anti-rust spray and let them sit, but more than likely you'll have to replace.
Yes most probably, aint taking any chances so im just gonna switch everything. Just i dont want to spend more than i need :)

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Describe hard to steer? Is it harder to steer at lower speeds? Because that’s normal. Now at idle speed it’s easy to steer, but it can get stiff as you go above that until you’re on plane, then it gets easy again. As I slow down to idle speed I notice it being stiffer to steer as well.

Is it possibly the gate control cable and not the throttle cable? Is it stiff to move the throttles from forward and reverse detent before giving it any juice? I had the issue of just getting it into forward or reverse before any throttle was given was the issue. If so then this is your gate cable not the throttle cable.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Why don't you look up the posts on how to lube your cables and try that first before spending money to find out that it is not the cables I make a steering system that also has an upgrade for a power steering effect so you get excellent steering and on plane it helps turn your nozzles plus it has a lot of other features and benefits like steering control when rapidly decelerating in a turn and steering with NO THRUST get rid of the bow wander on plane , tack waves and spring loaded adjustable steering fins .
A bad cable is tough to turn all the time, and be sure the reverse buckets are both lifting up out of the way of the water exiting the nozzle grease the pivot points of the nozzles and the reverse buckets also.

Denniss

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Why don't you look up the posts on how to lube your cables and try that first before spending money to find out that it is not the cables I make a steering system that also has an upgrade for a power steering effect so you get excellent steering and on plane it helps turn your nozzles plus it has a lot of other features and benefits like steering control when rapidly decelerating in a turn and steering with NO THRUST get rid of the bow wander on plane , tack waves and spring loaded adjustable steering fins .
A bad cable is tough to turn all the time, and be sure the reverse buckets are both lifting up out of the way of the water exiting the nozzle grease the pivot points of the nozzles and the reverse buckets also.
The boat is already equipped with cobra jet steering :)

Denniss

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So does anyone know how many cables i need for each thing? :D

Describe hard to steer? Is it harder to steer at lower speeds? Because that’s normal. Now at idle speed it’s easy to steer, but it can get stiff as you go above that until you’re on plane, then it gets easy again. As I slow down to idle speed I notice it being stiffer to steer as well.

Is it possibly the gate control cable and not the throttle cable? Is it stiff to move the throttles from forward and reverse detent before giving it any juice? I had the issue of just getting it into forward or reverse before any throttle was given was the issue. If so then this is your gate cable not the throttle cable.
Like the cable is not running smoothly, you need to use force to steer.

Isnt the reverse cable the gate control cable?

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Acard7

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So does anyone know how many cables i need for each thing? :D

Like the cable is not running smoothly, you need to use force to steer.

Isnt the reverse cable the gate control cable?
So you have to remember these don’t have power steering as well, so it’s not going to be smooth like butter.. The gate control cables are what move the gates over the nozzles (reverse) and up and away from the nozzles (forward). Neutral detent is no true neutral due to the nozzles are still slightly uncovered, food for thought. So you have 2 cables that control the port/stbd buckets, 2 cables that control the port/stbd steering, and 2 cables that control your port/stbd throttle response.

Below is a picture of the control cable I just changed:

IMG_5223.jpegIMG_5222.jpeg

As you can see the wire is exposed from the sheath, usually due to water intrusion, age, wear/tear, etc.. This damage makes it hard to move the throttles in any detent (forward/reverse/neutral). You can check these by removing the clean out hatch tray. Both of mine looked like this beyond the through hull fitting, so you can’t tell by just looking at the back of the boat. Cable, Reverse = Control Cables, so you are correct, weird they label it like that..

Use Zipper’s link above to help you find the part numbers for the cables you need!

Last tidbit.. There is a flathead screw you can loosen/tighten when you take the throttles out that adjusts the tension. If you search YouTube, Jeff’s jet boat (he’s since renamed his YouTube channel but still should come up) made a video about fixing throttle drop, he goes over how to take the throttle assembly apart and fix/adjust for throttle drop and tension.

Last edited:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I would start at the beginning and rule things out. First disconnect the bolts that hold the cables to each nozzle. make sure the nozzles will turn freely to both sides.
Next go to the helm and turn the wheel to both sides and see if if moves easily or it has resistance , resistance probably points to the steering cables binding.
The helm your boat has only moves about 1/4 turn from center for a full turn to either side, so there is no gearing down like the newer helms that travel more than twice that distance for a full right or left. So any resistance will be obvious . Bad cables usually do it constantly not on and off.
Now the helm on your boat does not have any grease fittings , But it has bolts holding the halves together, sometimes those come loose over time and internal things do not line up properly inside. So see if the bolts are loose, and you can loosen them a bit to allow you to push grease inside and then tighten the bolts when you are finished.
Next there are quick releases on the reverse buckets that will allow you to unhook the cables easily. Once unhooked move the controls forward and reverse and see if they drag or if they are easy to operate. Also move the reverse buckets up and down see if those move freely.
While you are messing with all these moving parts be sure to lube them also.
When you reattach the cables make suer the nozzles are lined up properly and the reverse buckets are even in neutral and completely above the water exiting the nozzle They must not be in the way of the thrust in forward or you will get water spray and vibration.
I purchase my cables , pumps, and bearings at www.sbtontheweb.com I find their parts work just fine and their prices are low , I purchased several rebuilt engines from them with not verry good results but that was many years ago. They do carry some boat parts so I always check with them first .
Also use the search function of this web site it will assist you.

dgfreeze

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
In my signature are the two cables I used for my steering. Notice it's two different part numbers, one is an 18' and the other is a 19'. This is because they are routed down the starboard side of the boat, and come back toward the middle, meaning the port side is a little longer. I haven't done the throttle/reverse cables yet, so I'll stay out of that discussion.