• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Pull the Jet Pump?

JSchneider

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
222SD
Boat Length
Sucked something up in the right engine. I shut it down when it started to vibrate and got it on the dock with the left one. Checked the clean out port and it feels like broken plastic and foam peanuts wrapped around the impeller, but I can’t get it out so I am going to put it the back on the trailer tomorrow and pull the pump. Never done this before, any pointers? We have friends coming tomorrow and want to get it fixed before they get here. Do I need silicone and lock tight to put it back on? Guessing metric tools? It’s a 2023 222SD. First season with a jet boat. They actually handle well on one engine with the bucket open on the dead one.

Get a hawksbill knife, and use it to cut the plastic off. See if that's enough to allow the plastic removal.

Run your phone in there and see if there's anything else.

If you're not prepared for pulling the pump, manage everyone's expectations, and tell them ahead of time that you haven't done this before, so this will be stressful, and it may cut into "fun time", but rushing it could cause you more problems down the road, possibly on your excursion with the friends.

I would consider the Loctite to be non-negotiable, and the silicone (for where or what?) to be something that could be left off until you get the proper materials - count on redoing this after your outing, at a slower pace, to add a proper gasket material (another Loctite product, see a manual for the correct number.

The hawksbill knife is the easy possible solution, I would try that first, and pull the pump if that fails

They actually handle well on one engine with the bucket open on the dead one.

Did you go over 10mph with one engine? If so that’s a risky move if you didnt clamp the hose to stop the cooling water from back flowing. Even with the gate open the water can be forced in. As mentioned above using a knife lay down under the boat and reach up I have had good luck with a serrated steak knife, also a hanger bent with a hook can help pull junk out. If you do need to pull the jet drive be carful with the bolts back them in occasionally if they seem to bind up as they are coming out, I had one snap sheared the bolt head off. Drilling and tapping is a pain

also a hanger bent with a hook can help pull junk out

Now that you mention it, I completely forgot I keep such a tool onboard, as it saved me once from pulling the pump - had an aquatic plant’s thicker stem stuck in the pump. Worked like a charm!!

Thanks guys, I will try to get whatever is in there out before attempting to pull the pump off. If I get a pliers in there I might be able to get ahold of it and rip it out. It’s just jammed between the Impeller and housing or ring.

No, I didn’t go over 4 mph with the right side shut down so I am not really concerned about that.

Yes remove the intake grate under the boat and you can usually remove the trash in the impeller a lot easier

Got it out through the clean out port. It was a ground up turtle…not what I was expecting. But it’s fixed.

Drewkaree, you are just down the road from us, we are in the Sheboygan area. My parents always had boats on Winnebago when I was younger but haven’t been out there in probably 25 years.

Thanks again for the info!

Back