• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

PWCS - new vs used - update with result

robbo3

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've been looking at PWCs and noticing that there isn't much of a cost difference between a late model used vs a new one. I don't want one that's going to require constant work and has enough power to pull wake skating and single rider tubes. I'm curious what others have bought and what's the typical negotiation room on new vs used.

Also quotes that dealers have given on the trailer is $900, does this seem right?

Experiences, thoughts, model recommendations, all welcome.

Are you partially looking a Yamaha or Seadoo? This year Yamaha introduced a few long overdue upgrades, so a new model might be more advantageous.
Depending how old you intend to go on a pre owned should also be considered, I have a 2010 FZR and I'm aware of a weak area concerning the supercharger clutch, later, 12 onwards, have been modified.

I'm looking at both, particularly the Sea Doo Wake 155 and the Yamaha VX Deluxe or Cruiser. The Sea Doo seems to have all the bells and whistles (perfect pass equivalent, board storage, reverse/brake on handle, etc) where the Yamaha seems to be more basic (which is ok), and is about $1,500 less.

I've seen the 2015 Wake at the boat show and have heard it's the same as the 2014 model. For the Yamaha, I've only seen the 2014 models at the dealer. What are the new Yamaha features for '15?

I'd rather do the Yamaha as it keeps my maintenance simple and consistent, and I wouldn't need to worry about a super charger.

Trailer price sounds a little on the high side. I think mine was a $700 adder

I bought a 23 hour old dealer demo unit. vlx1100 deluxe (2010). In august of 2010 for $7800 (total w trailer). I was happy with the deal and she's run great since.

The dealer find was the result (like you state) that the new/used prices were too close and i didnt want to take the risk of used..i thiught this was an excellent midpoint option. I dont know how common this is or if I got lucky.

The vlx1100 has no shortfalls pulling anyone on anything. Even with a passenger.

I never looked at any other brand........then........shortly after buying the waverunner i learned yamaha made a ..a....a...boat too!!!! .

Big changes to the 2015 Yamaha lineup. Check out the RIDE technology on their site.
I personally love the color scheme on the SVHO but don't want a supercharger. Looked at buying a FX HO. Hope you find what you're looking for Robbo3.

I just went through this last year. Was looking for a 1-4 year old used ski that was in good condition but at a reasonable price. What I found was that was a difficult find. They where either beat to crap and only s few k less than new or people where asking very close to the new price and it was in good shape. Finally we decided to buy new. I bought probably the most under rated ski on the market but due to that great deals can be found on them new. We bought a 2013 left over new kawasaki ultra lx. More than enough power to do well low maitinance cost and very fuel eficient. We paid 8400 out the door brand new I think the retail was 11,000. We have since then bought a second ski a gti 2012 the ride is complete different and the cost of upkeep is much higher but we got a steal on it. On the ski market unless you find a steal I would say buy new it doesn't take much just one person to flip it over and not roll it back the correct way and you could deal with long term issues. I have avoided the supercharged ones due to issues but even they can be very reliable if properly maintained. Best advice is decide what ski you want based on what you plan to do with it and what conditions you ride in. All modern skis except spark will pull a skier fairly easily but if that's a primary objective I would look for something more in the 150+ hp range the vx will do it but not as well as a wake, gti 155, ultra lx, or vxs and vxr. Any of the supercharged models will do it but fuel and up keep will be more. If you ride a smooth lake any will work if you ride chop or ocean get the ultra the hull and added weight just cut through it. If you want a 60+ mph ski non super charged get the yamaha vxs or vxr. If you decide to go seadoo the wake only difference between a gtr or gti is the ski pole and it can be added to both of the others either get the gtr or save the money and get the gti. Oh and you get what you pay for in a trailer I found them in the 790 range but I paid 1000 for my first single trailer but the upgrade was worth it bigger tires for highway travel and it is so light I can pic it up with one hand and adjust it on the ramp if it's not lined up the way I like for reloading on the ramp.

The naturally aspirated 1.8 is really just in a sweet spot of fuel efficiency, power, and speed. Less maintenance as well as less to break is awesome.

I own two 2014 fx ho cruisers with 1800 non supercharged engines, I had a 2013 fx ho prior to those but someone wacked it on the interstate and totaled it.
Having owned all sorts of skies I can promise you the 1800 is the best available for reliability. The hull size and shape is great for all sorts of uses and I even pull a super Mable tube with 3 adults on it with ease, even using a 100 foot rope. I had a supercharged s h o also but I don't want any more supercharged skies . Research Kawasaki if you are using it in salt water as mine was a piece of crap and I hated it. I did not like all the problems I had with it nor the lack of coverage from Kawasaki warranty people.
The nose was very heavy and that gave you a real wet ride. It was not a good ski for jumping waves Plus it was a huge gas hog.
These skies don't really go faster than the non supercharged skies they just accelerate faster and use tons of fuel "PREMIUM" fuel that is.
The U S COAST GUARD has an unwritten rule about the top speed of p w c's from the factory.
I am told They don't like them going over 65mph out of the box because a person can have an arm or leg detached if they hit the water at those speeds. I have a thread on P W C weekly detailing MY personal experience with the new Kawasaki I owned. They really made a non believer out of me.
Plus I get contacted by people having similar issues with their Kawasaki skies from time to time. If you only use a a ski occasionally I would suggest something like the vx110 Yamaha, since low hours users are paying a lot factoring in depreciation and maintenance etc. for the small amount of time they are riding.
If you put a lot of hours on skies like I do, HUNDREDS of hours a year! Then reliability and longevity are important.

I have to agree the Fx ho is probably the best all around non supercharged ski. I wanted to buy one when looking for my second ski but couldn't justify the thousands of dollars more they where than most other non supercharged skis. @Cobra Jet Steering LLC which kawasaki ski did you have that sucks you had issues. Of the three other people I know with ultras they have had no issues but the one guy I know with a stx15 he had had some troubles. All of our toys stay in salt water and we have had no issues with any which I do find strange as I always see on various forums of people having issues with it. Even all of our trailers are in good shape.

@Cobra Jet Steering LLC I have heard similar stories about the 250. I almost bought one when shopping for a second ski but was warned by another person to run from them so I did. Mine is the non super charged model it is pretty good on fuel but does have that same nose drag at idle speed.

like I said I was happy to loose my ass selling it just to be rid of it and since getting rid of it and only owning Yamaha skies. My spare trailer for bringing skies to the dealer for repairs now has flat tires and weeds growing up around it, LOL. I don't need premium fuel either. Just an added bonus. The Yamaha engine and pump system seems to be the best for reliability and they do not appear to have all the electrical issues other skies have. As a precaution I always have ZINC on the ride plates and pumps for salt water use and I rinse the engines with soap and water, usually car wash soap with a liquid wax to protect the aluminum. Same as I did with the Kawasaki.

In any event with the crappy service from the new dealer here, the arrogant attitude of the factory rep and the crappy ski I will never buy or recommend a KAWASAKI again. Well maybe I would if it was someone I really, really, really, didn't like.
I do believe that the individual dealership and their service dept. Is a big part of your overall experience and satisfaction with how you get treated. The original St Pete dealership did handle the first few issues quite satisfactorily. They sold out to another one and from that point on it went to hell in a hurry.
The good thing about Yamaha is you will probably never know how well or poorly their service dept. handles warranty issues because you will probably never have a reason to find out. REALLY!

Update - I found a 2011 Sea Doo GTI 130 that was lightly used, not a scratch, with 2 years remaining warranty , cruise, iBR, VTS(trim), cover, and trailer for just under $7k.

Thanks for the feedback and education on the smaller watercraft. I was close to pulling the trigger on a new 2014 unit, but saved some cash for us to see how we like it. Now the extra cash can go for a lift for it.

This will save countless hours running the boat for a single rider tube, or teaching kids how to wakeboard, ski, and wake skate.

image.jpg

@robbo3 I think you guys will enjoy that ski. We have a 2012 model that was purchased as our second ski and I just took it out last Saturday which is the first time I rode it I always drive our Kawasaki. It lacks a little in the low end due to the smaller engine but if you stay in the power band it is a fun ski. The only thing I warn you of is take some time to get used to the ibr and reverse system I almost hit another trailer at the ramp pulling it off my trailer as the reverse pulls the opposite direction than a normal ski does but once I figured it out it is awesome I didnt think the ibr system would make a big difference but it does slow speed maneuvering and reverse are drastically improved with this over a ski with out it having a neutral is great as well

Update - I found a 2011 Sea Doo GTI 130 that was lightly used, not a scratch, with 2 years remaining warranty , cruise, iBR, VTS(trim), cover, and trailer for just under $7k.

Thanks for the feedback and education on the smaller watercraft. I was close to pulling the trigger on a new 2014 unit, but saved some cash for us to see how we like it. Now the extra cash can go for a lift for it.

This will save countless hours running the boat for a single rider tube, or teaching kids how to wakeboard, ski, and wake skate.

View attachment 16803

Are you thinking about dropping a lift in Nag?

I have a 2013 Yamaha FZS Thing is a BEAST !!!!! Stick with a Yamaha, not a Sea-Don't

The 2011 SeaDoo GTI is a STEAL @ $7k !
Once you've ridden and used an IBR ski, you'll never go back !

It is totally amazing in what it can do, and even now that Yamaha has FINALLY added some electronic/software features to their offerings, they remain stil behind the capabilities of an IBR ski.

The GTI is a FULL SIZED ski, and does not come with any of the negatives of the SeaDoo "Spark."
I would not be afraid to buy this - not at all !

Are you thinking about dropping a lift in Nag?

Not quite. After much family discussion, we've acquired a lake house in the central part of the state. While not as convenient as Nag on a daily basis, much more cost effective than buying in Lake Country(even with 2 houses) and gives me somewhere to keep our gear and a place to get away to.

I'll still likely bring the boat down if we're not going up, but for the most part I'll be leaving it up there.

Hey @robbo3 - BIG Congrats on the new Lake home !
I remember when you we purchased our first - What a fantastic feeling !
Enjoy - Enjoy !

Last edited:
Hey @GTBRMC - BIG Congrats on the new Lake home !
I remember when you we purchased our first - What a fantastic feeling !
Enjoy - Enjoy !

Thank you for the kind thoughts, @MikeyL but I believe you intended to congratulate @robbo3 not me.

Oh, congrats, @robbo3 - sounds like a solid move. Agree lake property locally in this area is ludicrous.

Back