• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Red Tide

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I just leave her alone for 4 days, fix the crap she want fixed and the red tide goes away. But it comes back in a month or so. Once it went away for 9 months but now I don’t have time to hang out with my friends and am running to soccer and little League games. And it came back anyway.

AJack

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was on the beach at Saratoga this weekend, no signs of Red Tide down there.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I checked yesterday at Tierra Verde and it is not as bad as it was but it's still there and the dead fish were still being collected.

justason

Jetboaters Admiral
SWAG Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
People here in Tampa bay area and Pinellas beaches Just a heads up.
I Have been going in the waters here since 1972 when I moved to Florida when I was 20 years old. I have seen many red tide outbreaks over those 46 years of boating so I never allowed the red tide to keep me from the water.
Last Saturday I went out around Fort Desoto and Tampa bay to do a test run on one of my skies that I had just completed numerous projects on. After approximately 1 hour I began to feel very sick, confused and tired. The red tide was very strong and the dead fish were everywhere. I had trouble breathing and could not focus on things . I packed up and drove home.
I never leave the water after only an hour or so even in heavy rain I will wait it out, but I just felt completely exhausted.
After washing everything I went to bed and slept for several hours In the middle of the day!!! Even today I am finding myself lethargic and tired, sleeping up to 12 hours a day. So I just wanted to warn you to be careful about exposure to this red tide. Especially with children being exposed to it.
I was told that there are about 60 different strains of red tide.
I have seen dead loggerhead turtles, huge remora washed up in the intercostal, They were so large I wondered what the hell were they attached to before they died.
Also dead manatees and small fish floating everywhere.
I also noticed sea gulls in large numbers diving on the dead bait fish, this was unusual since they never bother with red tide fish kills so now I suspect the sea gulls will also become sick. So just be careful if you are planning to go boating in this red tide as it may have an ill effect on you for several days as it did to me.

This is different than I expected ! i thought a red tide was a fish kill event combined with stay out of the water. What made you dizzy/lethargic? something airborne ?

I'm visiting longboat key Dec8....I believe intercoatal side.....what is it I don't know ?

Edit: I overlooked the thread was started sept 24.. hows things now ?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
It is improving but if you read the state reports they tell you it is a micro organism and the reported symptom from exposure to it , I posted several of those as I received them but so far they are not saying it is improving as they keep reporting heavy concentrations I am in Pinellas county fl so it is still here and they take water samples to get the results , I just look at the dead fish , turtles and manatees for my findings. well the smell is also a big indicator. I believe I also posted links where people can go and view the latest results as those are also on the state reports I posted.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Here is the latest report from the state ,

(Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.)

Current Conditions
Bloom concentrations of the red tide organism, Karenia brevis, persist on Florida’s Southwest and Northwest coasts. Patchiness was observed in both areas. On the East Coast, bloom concentrations of K. brevis are no longer present. Additional details are provided below.

In Southwest Florida, observations of >1,000,000 K. brevis cells per liter (“high” concentrations) occurred in and/or offshore of Pinellas, Sarasota, Charlotte, and Lee counties. “Medium” concentrations were observed in these same counties, and also in Manatee County and offshore of Monroe County. Relative to last week, K. brevis concentrations increased in parts of Pinellas, Manatee, Charlotte, and Lee counties. In Northwest Florida, “high” concentrations of K. brevis were observed in Bay County and “medium” concentrations were observed there as well as in Santa Rosa County.

• In Southwest Florida over the past week, K. brevis was observed at background to high concentrations in or offshore of Pinellas County, background to medium concentrations in Manatee County, background to high concentrations in Sarasota County, background to high concentrations in Charlotte County, background to high concentrations in or offshore of Lee County, very low to low concentrations in Collier County, and medium concentrations offshore of Monroe County.
  • In Northwest Florida over the past week, K. brevis was observed at low concentrations in Escambia County, low to medium concentrations in Santa Rosa County, low concentrations in Okaloosa County, and medium to high concentrations in Bay County.
  • Along the Florida East Coast over the past week, K. brevis was observed at background to low concentrations in or offshore of Palm Beach County, very low concentrations in and offshore of Broward County, and background concentrations in Miami-Dade County.
In Southwest Florida, fish kill reports were received for multiple locations in Pinellas, Manatee, and Sarasota counties, and in and offshore of Charlotte County. In Northwest Florida, fish kills were reported in Okaloosa and Bay counties. On the East Coast of Florida, a fish kill was reported in Palm Beach County. More detailed information is available at http://myfwc.com/fishkill.

Respiratory irritation was reported over the past week in Southwest Florida (in Pinellas, Manatee, Sarasota and Lee counties), Northwest Florida (in Okaloosa County), and on the East Coast (Palm Beach County).

Forecasts by the USF-FWC Collaboration for Prediction of Red Tides for Pinellas to northern Monroe counties predict net southwestern movement of surface waters and southeastern movement of subsurface waters in most areas over the next four days. Four-day forecasts for Escambia to western Gulf counties predict net southeastern movement of surface waters and net eastern transport of subsurface waters.

Due to the holiday next week, a complete status report will be issued on Wednesday, November 21st, rather than on Friday. Please check our new daily sampling map which can be accessed via the online status report on our Red Tide Current Status page.

This information, including maps and reports with additional details, is also available on the FWRI Red Tide website. The website also provides links to additional information related to the topic of Florida red tide including satellite imagery, experimental red tide forecasts, shellfish harvesting areas, the FWC Fish Kill Hotline, the Florida Poison Information Center (to report human health effects related to exposure to red tide), and other wildlife related hotlines.

To learn more about various organisms that have been known to cause algal blooms in Florida waters, see the FWRI Red Tide Flickr page. Archived status maps can also be found on Flickr.

The FWRI HAB group in conjunction with Mote Marine Laboratory now have a Facebook page. Please like our page and learn interesting facts concerning red tide and other harmful algal blooms in Florida.

Additional information regarding the current status of algal blooms in South Florida is being consolidated and posted on the Florida Department of Environmental Protection’s website: https://floridadep.gov/dear/algal-bloom.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Ok the latest report from the state pretty well duplicates the last few reports.

Current Conditions
Bloom concentrations of the red tide organism, Karenia brevis, persist on Florida’s Southwest and Northwest coasts. Patchiness occurred in both areas. On the East Coast, bloom concentrations of K. brevis were not observed. Additional details are provided below.

In Southwest Florida, observations of >1,000,000 K. brevis cells per liter (“high” concentrations) occurred in and/or offshore of Pinellas to Lee counties. Relative to last week, K. brevis concentrations decreased in parts of Pinellas County, increased in some parts of Sarasota County and decreased in others, and increased in parts of Charlotte County. In Northwest Florida, “medium” concentrations of K. brevis were observed in Santa Rosa, Bay and Gulf counties.

• In Southwest Florida over the past week, K. brevis was observed at background to high concentrations in or offshore of Pinellas, Manatee, Sarasota, and Lee counties and in Charlotte County. Very low concentrations were observed in Collier County.
  • In Northwest Florida over the past week, K. brevis was observed at low concentrations in Escambia County, low to medium concentrations in Santa Rosa County, very low to medium concentrations in Bay County, very low to medium concentrations in Gulf County, and background concentrations offshore of Pasco County.
  • Along the Florida East Coast over the past week, K. brevis was observed at background to very low concentrations in Palm Beach County and very low concentrations offshore of Broward County.
In Southwest Florida, fish kill reports were received for multiple locations in Pinellas, Manatee, Sarasota, and Charlotte counties. In Northwest Florida, a fish kill was reported in Bay County and on the East Coast, a fish kill was reported in Palm Beach County. More detailed information is available at http://myfwc.com/fishkill.

Respiratory irritation was reported over the past week in Southwest Florida (in Pinellas, Manatee, Sarasota and Lee counties), Northwest Florida (in Okaloosa County), and on the East Coast (Palm Beach County).

Forecasts by the USF-FWC Collaboration for Prediction of Red Tides for Pinellas to northern Monroe counties predict net southwestern movement of surface waters and southeastern movement of subsurface waters in most areas over the next four days. Four-day forecasts for Escambia to Gulf counties predict net southern movement of surface waters and net eastern transport of subsurface waters in most areas.

Please check our daily sampling map, which can be accessed via the online status report on our Red Tide Current Status page.

This information, including maps and reports with additional details, is also available on the FWRI Red Tide website. The website also provides links to additional information related to the topic of Florida red tide including satellite imagery, experimental red tide forecasts, shellfish harvesting areas, the FWC Fish Kill Hotline, the Florida Poison Information Center (to report human health effects related to exposure to red tide), and other wildlife related hotlines.

To learn more about various organisms that have been known to cause algal blooms in Florida waters, see the FWRI Red Tide Flickr page. Archived status maps can also be found on Flickr.

The FWRI HAB group in conjunction with Mote Marine Laboratory now have a Facebook page. Please like our page and learn interesting facts concerning red tide and other harmful algal blooms in Florida.

Additional information regarding the current status of algal blooms in South Florida is being consolidated and posted on the Florida Department of Environmental Protection’s website: https://floridadep.gov/dear/algal-bloom.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
A few pictures from Monday

Attachments

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Looks like it is traveling southward again. Todays report.

Current Conditions
Bloom concentrations of the Florida red tide organism, Karenia brevis, persist on Florida’s Southwest and Northwest coasts. Patchiness continues to occur in each region. Additional details are provided below.

• Over the past week in Southwest Florida, K. brevis was observed in samples from and/or offshore of Pinellas to Monroe counties. Observations of >1,000,000 K. brevis cells per liter (“high” concentrations) occurred in Manatee, Sarasota, and Charlotte counties. “Medium” K. brevis concentrations were detected in these same counties and in or offshore of Pinellas, Lee and Collier counties. Relative to last week, K. brevis concentrations generally decreased in Pinellas County, and areas of Manatee, Sarasota, Charlotte, and Lee counties. Cell concentrations increased in other parts of Sarasota, Charlotte and Lee counties as well as in Collier County.
  • In Northwest Florida over the past week, K. brevis was observed in Escambia, Santa Rosa, Okaloosa, Gulf, Franklin, and Wakulla counties. Bloom concentrations (“high” levels) were observed at only one site in Santa Rosa County.
  • Along the Florida East Coast over the past week, K. brevis was observed at background concentrations in Brevard County only.
In Southwest Florida, fish kill reports were received for Manatee, Sarasota, Collier and Lee counties. In Northwest Florida, fish kills were reported in Escambia and Gulf counties. Fish kills were not reported for the East Coast of Florida. More detailed information is available at http://myfwc.com/fishkill.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Looks like the cold weather is slowing it down a little.
Todays report from the state.

Current Conditions
Bloom concentrations of the red tide organism, Karenia brevis, persist in Southwest Florida but were not observed in Northwest Florida or on the Florida East Coast this past week. Additional details are provided below.

In Southwest Florida, observations of >1,000,000 K. brevis cells per liter (“high” concentrations) were patchy and occurred in Pinellas, Sarasota, Charlotte and Lee counties. “Medium” K. brevis concentrations were detected in and/or offshore of these same counties and in Manatee and Collier counties. Relative to last week, K. brevis concentrations generally decreased in Pinellas, Manatee, and Charlotte counties, and some areas of Sarasota, Lee and Collier counties. Cell concentrations increased in other parts of Sarasota, Lee and Collier counties. K. brevis was present in seven Northwest Florida counties and two East Coast counties, but not at bloom concentrations (>100,000 cells per liter).

• In Southwest Florida over the past week, K. brevis was observed at background to high concentrations in Pinellas County, background to medium concentrations in Manatee County, low to high concentrations in Sarasota County, background to high concentrations in Charlotte County, very low to high concentrations in or offshore of Lee County, very low to medium concentrations in Collier County, and background to very low concentrations in or offshore of Monroe County.
  • In Northwest Florida over the past week, K. brevis was observed at background to low concentrations in Escambia County, low concentrations in Santa Rosa County, background to very low concentrations in Okaloosa County, very low concentrations in Bay County, background to low concentrations in Gulf County, background to low concentrations in Franklin County, and background concentrations in Wakulla County.
  • Along the Florida East Coast over the past week, K. brevis was observed at background concentrations in Palm Beach and Miami-Dade counties.
In Southwest Florida, fish kill reports were received for Manatee, Sarasota, Lee and Collier counties. In Northwest Florida, fish kills were reported in Escambia and Gulf counties. Fish kills were not reported for the East Coast of Florida. More detailed information is available at http://myfwc.com/fishkill.

Respiratory irritation was reported over the past week in Southwest Florida (in Pinellas, Manatee, Sarasota, Lee, and Collier counties) and Northwest Florida (in Escambia and Okaloosa counties). Respiratory irritation was not reported on the East Coast of Florida.