• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Red Tide

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The Crimson Tide is invading the waters of Alabama. Off subject but I am taking my almost 4 year old son to his first game this Saturday. He enjoyed a Braves game the other day, so going to take him to T- town!
Awesome! Y’all will get to see Tua play for maybe the first quarter with the way he is playing :D. Unreal stats he is racking up and still hasn’t had to play a full game lol. Hopefully the weather forecast improves for y’all as right now it still shows 60% rain with scattered storms.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sorry, but I have difficulty seeing how a boater would find the subject of this thread even remotely amusing...

P.s. ever heard of "turn a "Nelson's eye"?

As an active member of a boating community, with interest in FL boating, I would think this actually calls for some action.

--

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Coming to Tampa next week. Wedding along beach in oldsemar and I think reception straight west in clearwater(if I remember map correctly)

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
So as it is algae, what eats it? Will some species have a feast?
What stops it from growing?
It certainly isn't due to me fertilizing my yard, although I wish I had once..

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Or red tide are awesome!
Oh yeah, I get that! We used to go to PR every year and would hit Laguna Grande in Fajardo, just amazing and beautiful. But that is bio-luminescence.

Not to be confused with the shit clogged thick green smoothie runoff - of the Lake O. Which, BTW, used to flow into Everglades not engineered to flow into estuaries that lead out to the sea...

The first example is God-given. The second one is not.

--

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
There is a lot of info on the internet about this red tide outbreak . I read that it is fed by many factors heat and sewage runoff as well as fertilizer runoff and people are blaming the Mississippi river run off into the GULF also.
Who really knows but I am just now starting to get some energy back , I actually did a small amount of work today for the first time since I was on the water Saturday If my post saved a few people from allowing themselves to get sick It was worth it.
Just take this one serious. I read it can also cause liver issues and pneumonia . I know it kicked my butt and I was not in it more than an hour and a half. I had the chills and uncontrolled shivering stomach issues for days, serious thirst and a need to sleep all times of the day or night. I also had serious lack of concentration and a lack of motivation. Anyone who knows me personally knows you just don't get in my way when I have something to get done so that was really weird. I am just now getting back to joking around setting my girlfriends hair on fire while she watches TV and that sort of thing . Ok just kidding. I do still feel it in my lungs but I never had a fever I did have serious sweats for no reason. I would be shivering uncontrolably and sweating like crazy at the same time.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There is a lot of info on the internet about this red tide outbreak . I read that it is fed by many factors heat and sewage runoff as well as fertilizer runoff and people are blaming the Mississippi river run off into the GULF also.
Who really knows but I am just now starting to get some energy back , I actually did a small amount of work today for the first time since I was on the water Saturday If my post saved a few people from allowing themselves to get sick It was worth it.
Just take this one serious. I read it can also cause liver issues and pneumonia . I know it kicked my butt and I was not in it more than an hour and a half. I had the chills and uncontrolled shivering stomach issues for days, serious thirst and a need to sleep all times of the day or night. I also had serious lack of concentration and a lack of motivation. Anyone who knows me personally knows you just don't get in my way when I have something to get done so that was really weird. I am just now getting back to joking around setting my girlfriends hair on fire while she watches TV and that sort of thing . Ok just kidding. I do still feel it in my lungs but I never had a fever I did have serious sweats for no reason. I would be shivering uncontrolably and sweating like crazy at the same time.
Well, I know you live there, but my information is also from a first hand source who puts the current outbreak and its size squarely on the engineers. I share a dock slip with the guy. He has had a house and properties on Marco Island forever and in my conversations with him he has been pretty clear and pretty adamant about what is going on with the lake O and the runoff. Sure there may be other factors, but that is the major one. And it's a shame.
Oh, and the dude is about as liberal as Rush Limbaugh.

--

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We have similar issues on some of Cape Cod's ocean inlets. Not red tide but algae blooms that threaten to choke some of our inlets. Our problem, as I believe Florida's was traced to high levels of nitrogen from septic systems and lawn fertilizers.

When a house is rebuilt near the water they now have to put in a special system that treats the nitrogen prior to it going to the leaching field. Homeowners are also asked to use natural fertilizers.

When we have a heatwave the algae bloom doubles in size in just a few days. It has been better over the last couple of years due to some environmental efforts. The federal government has mandated central sewerage systems for all streets along waterways. They started just two years ago.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Getting sick from the Red Tide is no joke. The neurotoxins emitted into the air by the phytoplankton involved in Red Tides could cause serious acute and /or long term health problems. No one likes seeing doctors, but if it were me or my family I would have an appt with a pulmonologist lined up. Basing this on my Environmental Toxicology background.

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We have similar issues on some of Cape Cod's ocean inlets. Not red tide but algae blooms that threaten to choke some of our inlets. Our problem, as I believe Florida's was traced to high levels of nitrogen from septic systems and lawn fertilizers.

When a house is rebuilt near the water they now have to put in a special system that treats the nitrogen prior to it going to the leaching field. Homeowners are also asked to use natural fertilizers.

When we have a heatwave the algae bloom doubles in size in just a few days. It has been better over the last couple of years due to some environmental efforts. The federal government has mandated central sewerage systems for all streets along waterways. They started just two years ago.
Absolutely the right approach. I watched Boston Harbor getting cleaned up, took years but guess what? It worked. What used to be an appalling mess turned into (I believe National now?) Park - Boston Harbor Islands with seals and what not frolicking in clean water where shit used to be pushed out and flow by metric ton. Good deal - if you ask me. I saw it with my own eyes, it can be done.

--

DieselCamel

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
World Cat
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Well, I know you live there, but my information is also from a first hand source who puts the current outbreak and its size squarely on the engineers. I share a dock slip with the guy. He has had a house and properties on Marco Island forever and in my conversations with him he has been pretty clear and pretty adamant about what is going on with the lake O and the runoff. Sure there may be other factors, but that is the major one. And it's a shame.
Oh, and the dude is about as liberal as Rush Limbaugh.

--

The lake O discharges ( Algae)are a completely different issue than red tide (Karenia brevis). The areas south and around Cape Coral/ Fort Myers are getting hit by both at the same time making it a nightmare here on the water.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Absolutely the right approach. I watched Boston Harbor getting cleaned up, took years but guess what? It worked. What used to be an appalling mess turned into (I believe National now?) Park - Boston Harbor Islands with seals and what not frolicking in clean water where shit used to be pushed out and flow by metric ton. Good deal - if you ask me. I saw it with my own eyes, it can be done.

--
Sounds like you've got some history in beantown @swatski.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

(Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.)

A bloom of the Florida red tide organism, Karenia brevis, persists in Southwest Florida and extends along ~135 miles of coastline, from northern Pinellas to northern Collier counties, and extends offshore (10 miles or more). A patchy bloom of K. brevis continues in Northwest Florida. Additional details are provided below.

In Southwest Florida, K. brevis concentrations generally increased in Sarasota and Lee counties over the past week. Observations of >1,000,000 K. brevis cells per liter (“high” concentrations) occurred in Southwest Florida over the past week, in and/or offshore of Pinellas, Manatee, Sarasota, Charlotte, and Lee counties and >20 miles offshore of Collier County. In Northwest Florida, K. brevis concentrations generally decreased in Bay and Pasco counties and increased in Gulf County; “medium” concentrations were observed from eastern Bay through Gulf counties.

In Southwest Florida, reports of fish kills were received for multiple locations in and/or offshore of Pinellas, Manatee, Sarasota, Charlotte, Lee and Collier counties. In Northwest Florida, reports of fish kills were received for Walton, Bay and Gulf counties. Respiratory irritation was reported in Southwest Florida (in Pinellas, Manatee, Sarasota, Lee and Collier counties) and in Northwest Florida (in Gulf County).

Three-day forecasts by USF-FWC Collaboration for Prediction of Red Tides for Pinellas County predict variable currents with net southern movement of surface waters and southeastern transport of subsurface waters. Forecasts for Manatee to northern Monroe counties predict net southwestern movement of surface waters and southeastern transport of subsurface waters over the next three days. Forecasts for Northwest Florida predict net eastern transport of surface waters and northeastern movement of subsurface waters from Escambia to Gulf counties.

This information, including maps and reports with additional details, is also available on the FWRI Red Tide website. The website also provides links to additional information related to the topic of Florida red tide including satellite imagery, experimental red tide forecasts, shellfish harvesting areas, the FWC Fish Kill Hotline, the Florida Poison Information Center (to report human health effects related to exposure to red tide), and other wildlife related hotlines.

To learn more about various organisms that have been known to cause algal blooms in Florida waters, see the FWRI Red Tide Flickr page. Archived status maps can also be found on Flickr.

The FWRI HAB group in conjunction with Mote Marine Laboratory now have a Facebook page. Please like our page and learn interesting facts concerning red tide and other harmful algal blooms in Florida.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
And I have no doubt that this decision was a direct result of all the fish being killed by the red tide . There will be a bunch of pissed off fishermen in this area for sure.

Sept. 26, 2018

Media statement: FWC Commission expands fishery management measures in response to red tide

At its September meeting in Tallahassee, the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) directed staff to expand a recent catch-and-release only measure for snook and redfish to include Tampa Bay (including all of Manatee and Hillsborough counties) as well as all of Pinellas and Pasco counties starting Friday, Sept. 28.

The FWC also directed staff to extend these measures through May 10, 2019, in these and other areas previously made catch-and-release for redfish and snook.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
upload_2018-9-26_16-10-11.jpeg

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We were planning to visit Naples the last week of the year.

Would you recommend going elsewhere?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Well with that being on the southern edge I would keep an eye on the news reports and check the F W C reports to decide that. I know if the temperatures drop it will have a good effect on the red tide decreasing but this week out temps are all predicted to be in the low 90's as usual. So south of us is probably even hotter. I know I have not gone near the water since last Saturday and I still have a lot of problems with lung congestion.