• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Red Tide

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for the response.

The problem is that, within a fairly short time-frame, we need to decide whether to book the house or not.

If it were you, would you commit a bunch of cash to rent a house in Naples the last week of the year?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
The weather should have cooled off by then I would check with members who live in that area I know I need my time on the water or I will be bouncing off the walls. I use it to escape from reality and cruise aimlessly with no phone or computer all the time I am out there. Any way I understand your dilemma and if it were me I would just say go for it, a lot of things can change in the Gulf by then and hopefully everything will be just beautiful. besides maybe the red tide will kill some of those damn Rock Pythons , Tegu lizards and lion fish that have invaded out state.

Floyd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Impulse
Boat Length
Recent research suggests that red tide is exacerbated by dust floating across the Atlantic ocean from Africa. This would explain why it has been around for centuries, and why it is different each year(Atlantic storms catching it en route). The blue-green algae blooms around lake Okeechobee are a different organism.
https://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2001/ast30aug_1/

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
So not gonna be gone next weekend and I will be at a beach side wedding. Awesome.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Latest report on the red tide from F W C

(Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.)

A bloom of the Florida red tide organism, Karenia brevis, persists in Southwest Florida and extends along ~130 miles of coastline, from northern Pinellas to southern Lee counties, and extends offshore (10 miles or more). A patchy bloom of K. brevis also continues in Northwest Florida. Additional details are provided below.

Over the past week in Southwest Florida, K. brevis concentrations generally decreased in areas of Pinellas, Manatee, Sarasota, Charlotte and Collier counties, creating patchier bloom conditions along the coast. Observations of >1,000,000 K. brevis cells per liter (“high” concentrations) occurred in Manatee, Sarasota, and Lee counties and >10 miles offshore of Hillsborough County, but at fewer sites relative to last week. In Northwest Florida, K. brevis was observed in or offshore of Walton, Bay, Gulf, and Pasco counties, with up to “medium” concentrations observed in Bay and Gulf counties. Relative to last week, cell counts increased in areas of Bay County and decreased in Okaloosa County.

In Southwest Florida over the past week, K. brevis was observed at background to medium concentrations in or offshore of Pinellas County, low to high concentrations offshore of Hillsborough County, background to high concentrations in Manatee County, background to high concentrations in or offshore of Sarasota County, background to medium concentrations in Charlotte County, background to high concentrations in or offshore of Lee County, and low concentrations in Collier County. In Northwest Florida over the past week, K. brevis was observed at very low concentrations offshore of Walton County, low to medium concentrations in Bay County, background to medium concentrations in Gulf County, and background to very low concentrations in or offshore of Pasco County.

We continue to receive reports of fish kills related to Florida red tide. In Southwest Florida, reports of fish kills were received for multiple locations in and/or offshore of Pinellas, Manatee, Sarasota, Charlotte, Lee and Collier counties. In Northwest Florida, reports of fish kills were received for Walton, Bay and Gulf counties. More detailed information is available at http://myfwc.com/fishkill. Respiratory irritation was reported in Southwest Florida (in Pinellas, Manatee, Sarasota, Lee, and Collier counties). Respiratory irritation was not reported in Northwest Florida over the past week.

Forecasts by the USF-FWC Collaboration for Prediction of Red Tides for Pinellas to northern Monroe counties predict net northwestern movement of surface waters and southeastern transport of subsurface waters for most areas over the next three days. Three-day forecasts for Northwest Florida predict net southeastern transport of surface waters and northeastern movement of subsurface waters from Escambia to western Gulf counties. Forecasts for Pasco County predict net northwestern transport at the surface and eastern movement of subsurface waters over the next 3 days.

This information, including maps and reports with additional details, is also available on the FWRI Red Tide website. The website also provides links to additional information related to the topic of Florida red tide including satellite imagery, experimental red tide forecasts, shellfish harvesting areas, the FWC Fish Kill Hotline, the Florida Poison Information Center (to report human health effects related to exposure to red tide), and other wildlife related hotlines.

To learn more about various organisms that have been known to cause algal blooms in Florida waters, see the FWRI Red Tide Flickr page. Archived status maps can also be found on Flickr.

The FWRI HAB group in conjunction with Mote Marine Laboratory now have a Facebook page. Please like our page and learn interesting facts concerning red tide and other harmful algal blooms in Florida.

Additional information regarding the current status of algal blooms in South Florida is being consolidated and posted on the Florida Department of Environmental Protection’s website: https://floridadep.gov/dear/algal-bloom.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
So I went out for a few hours today, first time since last Saturday actually.
The red tide conditions were improved from last week in some places, and in others it was the darkest red I have ever seen.
Along the skyway causeway on the east side " wind was coming from the East" I noticed serious thick concentrations of dark red water along the shore, not like the rust color of the sand that I usually see with red tide but this war bright red and in many places not just one or two.
I noticed the gulf had a smell to it that was not as strong as last week but still very noticeable.
I did not walk in the mangroves along the causeway or on any islands due to all the rotting dead fish, just one sail cat and you are in big trouble if a barb gets in your foot so I stayed away from any dead fish or weeds that could hide them .
Now I will wait to see what effect the red tide has on my respiratory system as it is still bothering me from last week, keep in mind that I am positioned between Tampa bay and the gulf so either way the wind blows it carries the red tide irritants over Pinellas County.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Swam on gulf side of clearwater and looked nice
Little fish all over, dolphins swimming etc.
Wish i had the boat!
Staying at hyatt regency on clearwater and it really is beautiful.
Headed to wedding in oldsmar and reception in dunedin and probably cocktails on the beach!
Very jealous of you guys down here.
11th floor of hyatt sweet i can see most of the bay is full of boats again.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I went to check the water yesterday by Fort Desoto , and the SKYWAY, The water was the color of tea, lots of large mullet dead on the beach also. And you could smell the red tide out in the gulf near the skyway channel.

AJack

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’m going to Anclote tomorrow, hope it’s not there.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
If the water looks tan it is there, the red tide report says it is in north Pinellas county I am in south Pinellas and it is certainly here . So hopefully it won't be too strong but the gulf is where it is originating from so I would imagine it is at the end of Anclote.

AJack

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Water was clear, no red tide. I spoke with the FWC officials and they stated that the red tide hasn't made it to Anclote yet.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Interesting their the ones posting the report that it was in north Pinellas county and that is as far north as it gets ???
" from northern Pinellas to southern Lee counties, and extends offshore (10 miles or more). A patchy bloom of K. brevis also continues in Northwest Florida. Additional details are provided below." Any how it is sure in our end of the county maybe they don't know north from south

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Ok so I went out to do some test runs on my skies after doing work on them. And I can say for certain that the red tide it is still here on the south end of Pinellas County and very obvious at that. The wind was strong from the east so it kept the smell down somewhat but the water was obviously still contaminated and discolored with new dead fish floating about along with some things that I was unable to recognize as they were very large but decomposed, my guess is one was a dead manatee off in the flats pushed by the wind against a mangrove island.

AJack

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I might be going out into the Bay today, depending on the wave heights (which look bad). If I do, I'll post what I see.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
It was pretty windy yesterday and probably going to be worse today due to the storm. I'm hoping the storm moves all this crap out of here.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Today's red tide report even with the bands of hurricane winds in the gulf.

(Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Web page.)

Current Conditions Bloom concentrations of the Florida red tide organism, Karenia brevis, persist in Southwest, Northwest, and Southeast Florida, with patchiness observed in each region. Additional details are provided below.

• Over the past week in Southwest Florida, patchy concentrations of K. brevis were observed from Pinellas to Lee counties. Relative to last week, cell concentrations decreased in some areas of Manatee County, and most parts of Sarasota, Charlotte, Lee and Collier counties. Observations of >1,000,000 K. brevis cells per liter (“high” concentrations) occurred at only three Southwest Florida sites (in Pinellas and Manatee counties and offshore of Charlotte County). “Medium” concentrations occurred in and/or offshore of those same counties and in Sarasota County.
  • In Northwest Florida, K. brevis was observed in or offshore of Escambia, Santa Rosa, Walton, Bay, Gulf, and Pasco counties, with “medium” concentrations occurring only in Bay County.
  • On the East Coast, K. brevis was observed in or offshore of St. Lucie, Martin, Palm Beach, Broward, and Miami-Dade counties. “High” concentrations were observed at one site in Palm Beach County, and “medium” concentrations occurred in St. Lucie, Martin, Palm Beach counties and in and offshore of Miami-Dade County.
Fish Kills In Southwest Florida, reports of fish kills were received for locations in or offshore of Pinellas, Manatee, and Sarasota counties. In Northwest Florida, reports of fish kills were received for Okaloosa, Walton, Bay, and Gulf counties. Along the East Coast of Florida, reports of fish kills were received for Palm Beach, Broward, and Miami-Dade counties.

Respiratory Irritation Respiratory irritation was reported in Southwest Florida (in Pinellas, Manatee, Sarasota and Lee counties), in Northwest Florida (in Escambia and Okaloosa counties), and along the East Coast of Florida (in Broward County) over the past week.

Forecast Forecasts by the USF-FWC Collaboration for Prediction of Red Tides for Pasco to northern Monroe counties predict a reversal from northern to southern transport of surface waters and net southeastern movement of subsurface waters for most areas over the next three days. Three-day forecasts for Northwest Florida predict net western transport of surface waters and minimal net movement of subsurface waters from Escambia to western Gulf counties.

The next complete red tide status report will be posted on Friday, October 12th.

This information, including maps and reports with additional details, is also available on the FWRI Red Tide website. The website also provides links to additional information related to the topic of Florida red tide including satellite imagery, experimental red tide forecasts, shellfish harvesting areas, the FWC Fish Kill Hotline, the Florida Poison Information Center (to report human health effects related to exposure to red tide), and other wildlife related hotlines.

To learn more about various organisms that have been known to cause algal blooms in Florida waters, see the FWRI Red Tide Flickr page. Archived status maps can also be found on Flickr.

The FWRI HAB group in conjunction with Mote Marine Laboratory now have a Facebook page. Please like our page and learn interesting facts concerning red tide and other harmful algal blooms in Florida.

flyingnugget

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Anyone have any drone footage of what this mess looks like? Bright red, dark red, brown and tea colors of water are just crazy to imagine.

Maybe this massive hurricane will clean things up?? I don't know.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Anyone have any drone footage of what this mess looks like? Bright red, dark red, brown and tea colors of water are just crazy to imagine.

Maybe this massive hurricane will clean things up?? I don't know.
Or spead it out!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Based on wind direction and the fact that the main body of it is out in the gulf I am worried it pushed it closer to the shore here . That may have cleared it from the east coast though. The water in here looks like tea and red as blood in shallow areas where it collected . But the smell of dead fish id really the thing that runs you off quickly. I spoke with another person who said he was out the same weekend I experienced the strong effects of the red tide and he had a similar experience of rapid illness and had to go home also.