• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

REMEMBER - We're not the only ones enjoying the warm weather!!

Scuba_ref

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I play basketball at lunch time with a couple of snakes!

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
:D:D:D @bobbie

In all fairness though it was a bad place to anchor in. Grass beds on both sides of a little narrow cove was just asking to be in snake territory that time of year...

We all swam there for a little while then us guys left to go surf. Girls were swimming and they said it came in between the boats I think. We come back and the wives were out of the water, one on each boat :eek::D...

Anywhere in the south snakes and all sorts of critters you will learn to live with :thumbsup:.

Last edited:

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
yikes!!!

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Added image. I don't usually swim in areas that tight as snakes like to cross and love the grassy banks. But we had a good time anyways. It was a funny story hearing the girls tells us when we returned. The good thing about snakes is most swim on top of the water so a little easier to spot than in the woods!

Last edited:

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I wouldn't really call one snake an "issue" @bobbie. ;)

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yup. It's all in where you anchor or float. If you go to areas like that the chances of seeing a snake will be higher than in wider, more open coves. Snakes generally don't like to use a lot of their energy until they have to. They are smart about conserving it, so you don't usually see them crossing in open areas.

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Well great....morgan opened my ipad to see this thread. I think her words were "hell no" or something to that effect. :nailbiting:

btbowden

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I've killed lots of Copperheads around our house....just part of living in the woods....I have a heavy duty ice chopper like this one that is excellent for removing and dicing the F#$% out of them from a SAFE distance! Mine has a HEAVY steel blade head...

I know what you mean about the cooper heads Julian. I live in Cary, just down the road from you, and I've probably killed 7 over the past two years. I've become so paranoid walking outside in the summer i look like a crack addict analyzing the ground before each step. I love the summer, but it turns me into a nervous wreck with all the snakes looming around here.

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Maybe putting up with a rainy winter isn't so bad after all! No critters in the pnw...at least in the Willamette Valley!

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Just don't go taking a piss under the front of a tank in the desert at night with the heater on. :bag:
Perhaps I was too subtle before. Let me set it up better but I warn you that you may never take a piss outdoors same again.

Imagine being a young guy from Maine waking up in the desert for the first time at the National Training Center in Fort Irwin California. You were told to drink water all day because it was hot as heck that day but now you have to take a leak. You climb out and over the 60 class tank chassis and dismount at the front. You unzip whip it out, point underneath the tank, let fly, then hear ratttttttle. Yes thats right, there I was half asleep legs spread hanging free and letting fly when I realized I was pissing on a rattle snake in the dark !$&$@! He ended up darting out right between my legs. Needless to say I will NEVER forget that moment.

Point being ... be careful to see where you are pissing because you never know what you might be pissing on or where it could decide to bite you while you have it hanging out .... yikes.

Last edited:

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
:nailbiting:Thanks for the word picture.

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Already killed one black widow and a brown recluse spider tearing up a ratty old abandoned dog house this year. Not ready for snakes...

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
PSA - remember you will feel the black widow spider bite, mostly likely will not feel the brown recluse bite.

But if you get a mark looking like a mosquito bite that (may) have a white ring around it and a dark (almost black) center... pay close attention to it and get it checked out.

Last edited:

DGap

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
When I was stationed at Keesler AFB in MS, the first thing that they told us when in-processing was to stay out of the wet areas/swamps because Cotton Mouths and Water Moccasins would drop out of the trees and make a mess of your day.

I vowed then and there that the South was not for me. I'm good in Seattle, thanks. :)

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
No poisonous critters for me thank you. I'll shovel a lot of white stuff before I live someplace with those.

My Dad - a man whom I never saw display fear in his life - was afraid of snakes. But he had a good reason:

In 1951 my Dad was a fresh draftee into the army. He was going through basic training at Fr. Leonard Wood MO. They were out on field maneuvers and the call came out to hit the deck. Dad hit the deck all right: Right on top of a cottonmouth. He said the thing was wiggling around underneath him slapping him in the face with its tail. He didn't particularly want to get bit in the junk, so he rolled off as fast as he could. It slithered about 10 feet away and then decided to teach this insolent recruit a lesson. It struck and bit him on his side right above his hip. He says he remembers yelling for a medic and then it felt like a big band was tightening around his chest. The next thing he knew he was waking up 2 days later in the infirmary.

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tige
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

YES. Absolutely, as long as there is no poison to be concerned about. What is the problem feeding the creature? You feed your dog, don't you?