• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Ribbon delete info

Dwrat

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I finally tested out my ribbon delete on my SX190.
I can't believe the difference in hole shot, mid-range, and even top speed.
It is night and day better for the holeshot and mid-range and I picked up 1-2 mph while hitting 7,750 rpm.
I am shocked at the improvement.
One downside, it's even louder then it was before.

Next project, soundproofing of some sort, I have no idea what works and what doesn't.
Time to do some soundproof reading

Last edited:

chrisinslc

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I finally tested out my ribbon delete on my SX190.
I can't believe the difference in hole shot, mid-range, and even top speed.
It is night and day better for the holeshot and mid-range and I picked up 1-2 mph while hitting 7,750 rpm.
I am shocked at the improvement.
One downside, it's even louder then it was before.

Next project, soundproofing of some sort, I have no idea what works and what doesn't.
Time to do some soundproof reading
Did you replace with a sleeve and new air filter or just take it out and put back together?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did you replace with a sleeve and new air filter or just take it out and put back together?
Keep in mind in most (all?) states by law you do not need flame arrestor air filters with ribbon removed unless you have a carburetor fuel motor.

-

Dwrat

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I used a sleeve, did nothing at all to the filter or air box.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Keep in mind in most (all?) states by law you do not need flame arrestor air filters with ribbon removed unless you have a carburetor fuel motor.

-
Federal regulations supersede state laws, no? Granted inland areas are likely only going to be inspected by state authorities, I've got 50/50 odds of being stopped by either state police or USCG.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Law or not how would they know you removed your ribbon.
" ok sir i need to see your life vests, emergency signals, throwable, sound device, and your flame arrestor"
Could make for a long stop. Lol

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Law or not how would they know you removed your ribbon.
" ok sir i need to see your life vests, emergency signals, throwable, sound device, and your flame arrestor"
Could make for a long stop. Lol
They might ask for you to do a hole shot. They can tell...

REM835

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I was stopped for the first time in 20yrs for asafety inspection before I put in last week. He asked if I had a flame arrestor. Told him he had to take apart intake to get to it so he said never mind.

E278CC8A-95F9-402F-B4C4-D0021A388AEB.jpeg

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I was stopped for the first time in 20yrs for asafety inspection before I put in last week. He asked if I had a flame arrestor. Told him he had to take apart intake to get to it so he said never mind.

View attachment 97033
Would have asked him "What's that?"

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Most boating education courses/books simply state that per coast guard flame arrestors are required on each carburetor.
Something like that:

Backfire Flame Arrestors
Backfire flame arrestors are designed to prevent the ignition of gasoline vapors in case the engine backfires.
All powerboats (except outboards) that are fueled with gasoline must have an approved backfire flame arrestor on each carburetor.
Backfire flame arrestors must be:
  • In good and serviceable condition and…
  • USCG–approved (must comply with SAE J-1928 or UL 1111 standards).
Periodically clean the flame arrestor(s) and check for damage.

Yamaha air filter box is actually an overbuilt arrestor w/crankcase oil vent connected to it, albeit may or may not meet the ancient specifications (which in fuel injected engines are kind of a moot point anyway).

Typically, the rules read like this (see "J"):

dzeppos

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
You made a comment above that its louder after the ribbon delete. Anyone have any experience on engine noise on a 2015 or newer 240/242?
I have a mechanic doing it for me (who really knows Yamaha) - and we're going to take the ribbon off and put on a high performance air filter. He's done a several dozen of these jobs over the years, but wanted to get your take on whether it created any more noise?

Dwrat

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It sounds more throaty, like in the old days when we had 4 barrel carbs and you opened up the secondaries.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was ramp checked about 6 years ago. they made me show them the flame arresters on only 1 engine. They were spot checking so it was a rare event. For 1 or 2 mph I don't see it. Do you tell your perspective passengers and their kids so they can decide whether or not to ride with you or do you make that decision for them? Something to think about before something happens. Boating safety devices are just like car safety devices. They are usually mandated after so many deaths occur. Have a safe holiday.

Dwrat

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you tell your perspective passengers and their kids so they can decide whether or not to ride with you or do you make that decision for them?
Whenever I have a liberal like yourself on board, I always make the decisions for them.
LOL, sorry Snowflake

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Liberals let people make decisions for them. I don't. Having flight instructed for years and flown commercially in charter and passenger scheduled service I take my safety and the safety of my passengers seriously. If that's a snowflake in your book I'll take that as a compliment.

Dwrat

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Liberals let people make decisions for them. I don't. Having flight instructed for years and flown commercially in charter and passenger scheduled service I take my safety and the safety of my passengers seriously. If that's a snowflake in your book I'll take that as a compliment.
Just messing with you.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I pulled my ribbons, didn’t make a huge difference in power but if my passengers have a problem with it they can stay on the dock. If I honestly thought there was a .001% that not having flame arresters was putting my family in danger I wouldn’t do it. Same reason I don’t have a “flame arrester” on my stove or furnace at home, and they have a MUCH better chance of causing a fire than my fuel injected boat.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I replace my air filters with the riva filters that are CG flame arrestor compliant anyway. Not that i ever expect a backfire but feel safer that way

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I most states ribbons or flame arrestors are mandated only in carburated engines. The whole idea is silly in most fuel injected modern engines that have intakes built like the 1.8 yamaha engines.

I would NOT remove ribbons in an MR-1, the intake manifold is totally different, very much open, there are 4 ribbons per engine and you can get to those by removing the filter on top...
Besides, those engines do not benefit from ribbon removal per any number of reports including from Group K, so that becomes a totally moot point.

There is no way in hell anyone would be able to casually check for the ribbon in the 1.8 manifold at the ramp, not possible without soem serious wrenching, and there is only one per engine, burried in the intake, and in the SC SHO/SVHO it is downright impossible without taking the entire manifold off of the block.

If asked, ever, I would politely point to the massive air filter boxes with clamps and snorkels and integrated filters and the manifold and advise an inspector to have at it.

--