• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Scarab 255

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Saw this at the Houston boat show today. Hadn't read about it beforehand and thought surely the 255 was some kind of marketing ploy. Had I known it was a new model, would've taken a few more pics.

This was my first time seeing any of the 2015s in person. To my eyes, the Scarab was hands down nicer than the Yamaha and Chaparral 24 footers also on site. The fit, finish, and just general curb (dock?) appeal really stood out. The seamless glass is awesome.

For some reason when I was looking at it I was under the impression it was in the $60s and thought it was a good value...it was nice--just maybe not $80k nice.

Had I not bought the 2014 Yamaha 242 at a steep discount, the Scarab would definitely be my new favorite.
Not going to lie. . . . had I too not bought the 2014 at such a steep discount this would be a top contender against the 2015 Yamaha's. Styling and interior appear to be WAY nicer than the Yamaha fit and finish, which merely gets the job done.

Brendon

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Other
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Other
Definitely nice but not for 80k, thats just getting excessive

chadweiser

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just priced a new one 255 with twin 200 up graded everything else. $66,000. plus tax here in Ohio. talked with Scarab today the 255 will be at Chicago, and then Detroit boat shows. I'm trying to decide between the 243 vrx chaparral, and the 255 Scarab. replacing my challenger 230 se

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Just leaving Chicago, actually using the hotel computer. The 255 is a BIG boat. Pretty long it seemed. I liked both boats though, you won't be sorry you got them!
The twin 250 hp will give you more hole shot, but not more speed really, perhaps 2-3 mph is what we are seeing. Although, if you repitched or got new impellers, you will probably see more like 5-7, but I don't think it's worth it over the 200's.
The Chapp is their own hull and boat with the powerplants in it. The 255 scarab is a modified Sea Doo hull with a new top side. I prefered the Chapp. overall more and my wife would agree. As far as handling etc, I would assume the same thing over the scarab, unless the extra boat is something you're looking for, which then the 255 is really a big boat!

chadweiser

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for the info, we are leaning more for the Chaparral, just for the fact that the have been building really nice boats for a long time. I use to have a celebrity 220 boat then the quit building them, then we bought the Sea-doo 230 guess what they quit building them. So that makes me look into a manufacture that is in it for the long haul. Not saying that Chaparral will always build a jet boat but at least they will still have boat dealers around for the after sale support.

Joseph Baxter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
I have spoken with the dealer I bought the Scarab from and they are having a difficult time selling the 215 they have on the lot because Scarab will not let them discount it. The dealer mentioned to him that he cannot move a product when the competition (Yamaha) is allowing big discounts. Not sure what the stubbornness is about but if it does not change the Scarab may not last long. I love our 195 and being our first boat I am pleased.

Brendon

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Other
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Other
Great info. Really good to know.

I'm now up between a 215HO or the chap 243vrx but not sure if I really want to put down the extra cash the 243 costs.
I've also never bought a new boat before so not sure how much is be able to negotiate down

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
215 with 250 hp engines would be my choice. I would then look into getting the newer SeaDoo pumps (160mm) installed into it and see what tuning I can do with the impellers to push the engines to their limit and still be on the limiter. SHOULD top over 60 mph with light load if you do. Anyways, my real choice would be a Wellcraft Scarab with twin ecoboost V6's tied to twin Hamilton Jets. They don't make that, but I hope to someday.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The dealer mentioned to him that he cannot move a product when the competition (Yamaha) is allowing big discounts.
That is funny because I have never heard of a Yamaha dealer offering more than $500 off MSRP for a current model boat. They do offer significant discounts on boats that are leftover from last year.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
@ScarabMike That's exactly it! Just like what Yamaha has done with the new waverunner svho's. This 160mm pump is necessary and the ski doods know it! That pump will allow for more water flow. The pump is significantly limited at the 200 hp mark and that will free it up again. Just remember, that's a $1300 piece times TWO so $2600 and that's without impellers to match it yet! Figure at least $3000 by the time you actually have parts. I would do it though.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ill be looking at my single setup. If its compaticble, Im going to call them, and order the pump and impeller. Maybe I can get to 50+? LOL

@ScarabMike That's exactly it! Just like what Yamaha has done with the new waverunner svho's. This 160mm pump is necessary and the ski doods know it! That pump will allow for more water flow. The pump is significantly limited at the 200 hp mark and that will free it up again. Just remember, that's a $1300 piece times TWO so $2600 and that's without impellers to match it yet! Figure at least $3000 by the time you actually have parts. I would do it though.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
How much hp do you have, what is your current top speed, and at what speed do you come on plane?

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Interesting. Single engine boats deviate from the formula i am deriving. Your boat a 8' 6" beam or less?
I am taking an educared guess here that the pump alone would net you 46-48mph due to the vein design and pump size. You would be good up to about 265hp before you need to jump again but like i said, my calculations don't work perfect for single engines. Fyi, as far as top speed is concerned the single engine more efficient than duals for same horsepower, or so it would seem at first glance. So if my boat had 320hp in a single jet (about 12" impeller) i could have more speed but less towing/hole shot. As far as helping install, i would need a place for 5 to stay!

caval12000

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I just priced a new one 255 with twin 200 up graded everything else. $66,000. plus tax here in Ohio. talked with Scarab today the 255 will be at Chicago, and then Detroit boat shows. I'm trying to decide between the 243 vrx chaparral, and the 255 Scarab. replacing my challenger 230 se
@chadweiser I am in the process of buying a scarab 255 and wanted to know more details about your deal. Willing to share? Thanks.

Last edited:

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@caval12000 glad to have you on board, if you use the @ feature it will notify a member and may help them see the post faster @chadweiser

also, take a minute to update your profile with your location and it will automatically add you to the member map,
good luck with your search,

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hey @caval12000 - Glad you've joined. Good to have you with us !
Pull up a chair and enjoy yourself !
Best Wishes, Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA