• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Scarab 255

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not sure that I like the looks and the UK prices are scary but the size certainly is appealing!

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I like it, but not for $80k. I like the layout, but why don't they change up the styling between models? They are all the freaking same.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I think it's great and i hope to see one on a bahamas trip someday because with the bigger size it is really gearing towards that type of thing.
I really do wish they implemented all this with a cuddy go fast design but perhaps there is a reason not to? Or a cruiser even?

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I like it but am a little disappointed that it the extra HP over the Yamaha 240s didnt equate to much of a performance difference. It has a slightly higher top speed but not as much as i thought the extra 100 to 120 hp over the 240s would bring.

Last edited:

Jrash

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I like it but am a little disappointe that it the extra HP over the Yamaha 240s didnt equate to much of a performance difference. It has a slighly higher top speed but not as much as i thought the extra 100 to 120 hp over the 240s would bring.
On a sidenote, the gas mileage sucks, and the decibels is much higher. So not worth it.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
On a sidenote, the gas mileage sucks, and the decibels is much higher. So not worth it.
@Jrash did you have an opportunity to test drive one of these prior to getting your 2015 AR?

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
@GiddYupJoe these are not available in the US or at least not yet.

Who on here would even consider these at their price point? With how much people complain about the Yamaha 240 price, how could you anyone justify these at their price.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I hadn't considered that but would expect as much because of the hp difference.

I've always read that Yamaha is the only boat mfg that doesn't negotiate much off of msrp and assumed that the new scarab could be purchased for roughly the same price ,after negotiations, as a new 242ls. If this isn't correct such that I couldn't get the scarab for less than $10k more than I could a 242ls I wouldn't even consider it. Actually, I'm not in the market so I'm not considering it but if I was in the market the scarab would be on my list of boats to consider/go see/test drive.

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Little do you guys know that deep inside this Scarab is a mini Yamaha outboard engine. See you guys thought you had it all planned out.... But in the end Scarab wins due to their ninja skills.

Did i mention the hidden dwarf ninja with skills so good, that it chops the chop as your speeding down the water at crazy speeds providing a silky smooth ride.

Im telling you guys, you can go wrong here.

Happy New Year folks!

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
They need more pump for the motors. Simple as that. 160-165mm for the 255 hp twins. Then the speed will come back. Also, I am sure they kept the pitch on the props down so that the engines both go to max and avoid the prop loading from having two pumps. This looks and feels nice and allows for the single throttle control but limits the top speed.
So, make sure the pumps are the newer sea doo pumps (160mm), increase the pitch until you max it out (get impros to help here most likely), and allow the rpms to be slightly different at max throttle, and the boat will certainly do more. However, are you doing sports or looking for top speed?

SCSTWG

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I like the overall size and the looks of having a cabinet in the head. Nice looking boats.

rlora

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Can't wait to see this one; just having a full head will convince my wife:)!

Pointblank

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Saw this at the Houston boat show today. Hadn't read about it beforehand and thought surely the 255 was some kind of marketing ploy. Had I known it was a new model, would've taken a few more pics.

This was my first time seeing any of the 2015s in person. To my eyes, the Scarab was hands down nicer than the Yamaha and Chaparral 24 footers also on site. The fit, finish, and just general curb (dock?) appeal really stood out. The seamless glass is awesome.

For some reason when I was looking at it I was under the impression it was in the $60s and thought it was a good value...it was nice--just maybe not $80k nice.

Had I not bought the 2014 Yamaha 242 at a steep discount, the Scarab would definitely be my new favorite.

Attachments

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Headed to Chicago boat show this weekend, hope to see stuff like this around there.

Joseph Baxter

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
HO Impulse
Boat Length
Massive....but I love our 195...gives me an excuse to not have to take a ton of people.