• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Seat Cushion and Seal

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was noticing that under each seat that is hinged that there there really is no seal or stripping. When I hose out the crevices around the seats water roles over. Also the seats, when shut hard, come right down on the gelcoat.

Since I am doing weather stripping on the window, and of course they don't sell a little bit, I have 20 + feet of it, what if I were to run some pieces around the bottom of the seat cushions for a bit of a water seal and protectant?

Has anyone done this? Would there be a reason not to?

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I've thought about sticking some to the seat bottom myself, just haven't done it. I don't get a lot of water under them when we hose the boat out though, just a few drips occasionally.

Evanfspencer

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I was noticing that under each seat that is hinged that there there really is no seal or stripping. When I hose out the crevices around the seats water roles over. Also the seats, when shut hard, come right down on the gelcoat.

Since I am doing weather stripping on the window, and of course they don't sell a little bit, I have 20 + feet of it, what if I were to run some pieces around the bottom of the seat cushions for a bit of a water seal and protectant?

Has anyone done this? Would there be a reason not to?
Did you ever try the weather strip under the seats? If so, did it keep water out of the storage compartments?

I'm having to dry out the storage areas after almost every time I take the boat out...

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
Pretty sure my seats came with the gasket under the seats. Its just that 3/16” thick, white multi rib type

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did you ever try the weather strip under the seats? If so, did it keep water out of the storage compartments?

I'm having to dry out the storage areas after almost every time I take the boat out...
I never did do this. I still have the thin gasket material and may revisit it later this week when I am installing the SeaDek

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
As we were doing our hose out this past weekend, my wife asked me about this exact same issue. I would consider adding the gasket to the gelcoat side, not the seats. The adhesive qualities of whatever that seat bottom material is doesn't seem to be as good as when you stick something to the gelcoat

Evanfspencer

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Pretty sure my seats came with the gasket under the seats. Its just that 3/16” thick, white multi rib type
Is this the same gasket that's under the wet storage lid?

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Reasons that come to my mind on why not to add a gasket.

1) Keeps water out, but also, keeps moisture in (if you forget to lift the seats when putting into storage).
2) Gasket material will attract dirt and sand.
3) Gasket could create enough of a gap that wind could blow the seat up/off if towing without a cover.

Evanfspencer

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Reasons that come to my mind on why not to add a gasket.

1) Keeps water out, but also, keeps moisture in (if you forget to lift the seats when putting into storage).
2) Gasket material will attract dirt and sand.
3) Gasket could create enough of a gap that wind could blow the seat up/off if towing without a cover.
All good points to consider. Fortunately, I store my boat in my garage, so I'm not too worried about forgetting to lift the seats up. I'd likely think of it the next day if I forgot.

I think the strongest point is #3, but I think it depends on what time of gasket material used. I plan to use something that compresses easily, so the seats shouldn't ride any higher than normal...

mrcleanr6

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
I stand corrected. Yamaha does not use the white stuff. Here is the underside of my seats. Yamaha uses the light “D” gasket for this spot. #1 above would certainly apply. i have not seen 2 or 3 happen, especially 3 and my bow seats open aft. you can see in the picture so those would be the ones most prone to catching any kind of air.

0CFB840C-5A55-4A7B-A3A3-EA4F58EDE1AB.jpeg

Last edited: