• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Should I attempt removal of plugs?

Funtacular

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
ok one thing to remember IF for some reason you do not have the internal locking parts working The EZ lock will keep the plug in place by itself. Just so you know
Good to know! As long as the dogs operate and the ez lock is in place the dogs cannot release right? Maybe I won't need to replace the top after all.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Good to know! As long as the dogs operate and the ez lock is in place the dogs cannot release right? Maybe I won't need to replace the top after all.
Over the years several people have had defective inner parts and just used the ez lock to hold the plug in the locked position some added a second one so they had 2 on the broken plug just for added protection but others just used one and had no issues , you just have to press down the T handle when you want it to let go of the ez lock ends.

Funtacular

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Over the years several people have had defective inner parts and just used the ez lock to hold the plug in the locked position some added a second one so they had 2 on the broken plug just for added protection but others just used one and had no issues , you just have to press down the T handle when you want it to let go of the ez lock ends.
Very cool. Worth the investment I think! Now to get these suckers out! Haha

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I would make sure that you have replacement bottoms before pulling the plugs.

My perspective is that locking devices are not needed with plugs that fit well which you should have after replacing the lower portion.

Funtacular

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would make sure that you have replacement bottoms before pulling the plugs.

My perspective is that locking devices are not needed with plugs that fit well which you should have after replacing the lower portion.
That is fair. I guess "on order" does not equal "in hand"! I would generally agree with your statement. However, I have heard of plugs blowing out, vibration, etc. I am ok sinking an additional $50 into the EZ locks for the "just in case". I really don't what I will ever do with myself if I actually get the plugs refurbished/functioning again. I have been so terrified the last couple of years of sucking in a rope or something and not being able to get it cleaned out.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Funtacular, your plugs look to have a lot of material on top of them that likely has somewhat cemented them in. One plug is missing the release button which has been difficult to source in the past.

@JetBoatPilot, did you have release buttons? Do you have any now?

I have replaced the lower portions of the plugs on two boats. The easiest method that I found to remove the plugs was to park the boat under my elevated deck and run a 1" 600 pound ratchet strap between the plug handle and the deck. I would make sure the dogs are unlocked and add dish soap and water to the hole before attempting to pull the plug. Then slowly increase pressure until the plug pops out. If the back of the boat lifts off of the trailer I would just let it hang. Let the force slowly pull the plug out.

Once the plugs were out I used a drill brush, soap and water to clean the insides of the holes that the plugs snap into. After cleaning and replacing the bottoms my you kids could easily install the plugs. I let a set of locks sit on my workbench for close to a decade. Finally sold them, at a discount, a few weeks ago.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
That is fair. I guess "on order" does not equal "in hand"! I would generally agree with your statement. However, I have heard of plugs blowing out, vibration, etc. I am ok sinking an additional $50 into the EZ locks for the "just in case". I really don't what I will ever do with myself if I actually get the plugs refurbished/functioning again. I have been so terrified the last couple of years of sucking in a rope or something and not being able to get it cleaned out.
https://jetboaters.net/search/485205/?q=clean+out+plug+blew+out&o=relevance not using a lock on the plug is a fools errand but it's your boat so do what you feel is time tested and proven. and if you search on the other forums you find the same info this is nothing new. AS for the clean out plugs they are good to have but bad to have when they fail.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Also I agree that the plugs may have been epoxied in place, I have seen this several times when people had issues with the plgs and the lock release may have been broken off the plug when and if it blew out at one time.

Funtacular

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I got a little more into this today. Removed the upper and lower clamp for the port side cleanout hose and removed the hose itself. Now starting to get very nervous as things look really hack in here. Is this what it is supposed to look like? Should I proceed with trying to pull plug with the comealong?

Attachments

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
what looks "hack" ?? that gray adhesive below the plug mount ??

I can't recall at the moment what mine looked like, I do know as you found out that cleanout "tube" is held on by a lot of adhesive,

I think I would take an very small flat head screw drive or such and try to knock a layer off around the edges of the plug first,

Funtacular

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
what looks "hack" ?? that gray adhesive below the plug mount ??

I can't recall at the moment what mine looked like, I do know as you found out that cleanout "tube" is held on by a lot of adhesive,

I think I would take an very small flat head screw drive or such and try to knock a layer off around the edges of the plug first,
Lol yes. That is the best word I could come up with. In my experience, if it can be wrong, it will be wrong. Just seems like something is missing here. Almost like the plugs are supposed to be inserted in something that is not there. I will work on the outside/adhesive and see if I can't get a better idea of what I am dealing with. I guess I am struggling to see what the dogs "engage" in/on.

Funtacular

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Think I just realized my mistake in mindset. I was thinking that the lip that goes around the cleanout plug was part of the plug. I see now that the plug inserts into that! I am learning rapidly here! LOL

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I guess I am struggling to see what the dogs "engage" in/on.
I'm currently looking for a better picture of how the dogs engage and hold in that tube, stand by

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Last edited:

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
HA HA !!! reading through that post I just linked I saw you commented on it back in 2019 !! (post 75)

I would have bet money the two holes the dogs lock into go all the way through the metal but your's don't seem to look like it, very few members have pulled that big black cleanout tube so we rarely see it,

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would have won MONEY !! on post #165 you can see the holes the dogs go into are all the way through the metal, I'd make sure you have the holes before you do anything else, thanks @kuwona for the picture

1652468883721.png
View attachment 177769

Last edited:

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
1652469562578.png

this is a jdonalds 2006 boat, I found it in a scupper valve post, you can see his had that gray material at the bottom of the cleanout also,

I'm still a little nervous about yours though because it was definitely overkill for some reason ???

Funtacular

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
HA HA !!! reading through that post I just linked I saw you commented on it back in 2019 !! (post 75)

I would have bet money the two holes the dogs lock into go all the way through the metal but your's don't seem to look like it, very few members have pulled that big black cleanout tube so we rarely see it,
Glad I could help clarify that LOL

Funtacular

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
this is a jdonalds 2006 boat, I found it in a scupper valve post, you can see his had that gray material at the bottom of the cleanout also,

I'm still a little nervous about yours though because it was definitely overkill for some reason ???
I am thinking they took it apart at some point and decided to load it up with caulk/material maybe? At any rate, I scraped the "stuff" off the area, lubed it up, and started pulling. Top came right out. Now wondering if I should re-insert the top /w screws and try to pull the bottom also? Or just drill it out?

Attachments