• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Should I attempt removal of plugs?

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Does it look all glued in now that you are there? Why not try it? Now you know the dogs are dissengaged, you can use a 4x2 as lever to try it out.

Funtacular

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It doesn't look glued. Just very very dirty/corroded. Going to give it a try.

Funtacular

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would have won MONEY !! on post #165 you can see the holes the dogs go into are all the way through the metal, I'd make sure you have the holes before you do anything else, thanks @kuwona for the picture

View attachment 177769
Yes you would have! LOL I do have holes for the dogs and they do go all the way through. They were just VERY corroded and built up with sand and god knows what else. Both plugs are now out and soaking in a solution of penetrating oil and water. The holes that they go in need some work as they are both severely corroded. I worked on the port side for a bit and got it shining nicely but the starboard was much worse (believe it or not). I want to say thank you again to all who have responded and helped me through this. I have seen post after post with folks having this very same issue and been petrified of breaking something. Now that I have them out (I think) I am in the clear. I will rebuild the bottoms, clean out the holes good, reseal the tubes, and with any luck have an amazing boating season free of having to worry about whether I can clean out or not.

Attachments

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Steel wool does wonders to get the worst of it, just be gentle so you don't eat through the whole thing. Congrats!!! You got it out!!!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yes you would have! LOL I do have holes for the dogs and they do go all the way through. They were just VERY corroded and built up with sand and god knows what else. Both plugs are now out and soaking in a solution of penetrating oil and water. The holes that they go in need some work as they are both severely corroded. I worked on the port side for a bit and got it shining nicely but the starboard was much worse (believe it or not). I want to say thank you again to all who have responded and helped me through this. I have seen post after post with folks having this very same issue and been petrified of breaking something. Now that I have them out (I think) I am in the clear. I will rebuild the bottoms, clean out the holes good, reseal the tubes, and with any luck have an amazing boating season free of having to worry about whether I can clean out or not.
So did you drill out the bottom half or pull it out?

Funtacular

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So did you drill out the bottom half or pull it out?
Pulled it out. Originally I thought I was going to have to drill it out so I removed the screws and was able to yank the top. Once I realized how much force was needed I thought the bottom might come along as well. I returned the top to the bottom and screwed it all back in. Then pulled again and the whole port side came out. Rinse and repeat on the starboard; though it took way more force.

Funtacular

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So during the process of pulling the starboard apart, the spring took to the air in a direction I did not catch. I cannot find the bastard anywhere. Does anyone have any suggestions for where to source a replacement for it. I am thinking one of the little spring kits from Lowes/Home Depot might have a close enough relative? Something like this: Home Depot Everbilt spring kit

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
ACE hardware near me has a bunch of springs in stock also. Look for a smaller hardware store near you, they may have loose springs available for purchase.

Funtacular

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
ACE hardware near me has a bunch of springs in stock also. Look for a smaller hardware store near you, they may have loose springs available for purchase.
Good call! Have a True Value right down the street. Will check it out. Thanks again :thumbsup:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So during the process of pulling the starboard apart, the spring took to the air in a direction I did not catch. I cannot find the bastard anywhere. Does anyone have any suggestions for where to source a replacement for it. I am thinking one of the little spring kits from Lowes/Home Depot might have a close enough relative? Something like this: Home Depot Everbilt spring kit
@Cobra Jet Steering LLC spent some time looking at the springs in the plugs....if I recall, he recommended putting in springs with more force - that are stiffer than the stock ones. I think his point was that a stiffer spring would possible reduce plug blow outs more. Now he'll likely say - just buy the cobra locks.

No matter what...remember to pull the plugs after every use, or you'll be back to square one.

Funtacular

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Cobra Jet Steering LLC spent some time looking at the springs in the plugs....if I recall, he recommended putting in springs with more force - that are stiffer than the stock ones. I think his point was that a stiffer spring would possible reduce plug blow outs more. Now he'll likely say - just buy the cobra locks.

No matter what...remember to pull the plugs after every use, or you'll be back to square one.
For sure. I did buy the locks so it is mostly a non-issue. I just want to restore as much functionality to the original plug so will follow-through with a spring of some sort haha

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I can attest to the effectiveness of the EZ Locks. Blowout was no fun, and I was aware of the possibility and janked pretty hard when I inserted the plug to make sure it was well seated. Blowout anyway. Never again after installing the EZ Lock. Money well spent.