• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Show Us Your Wake! (surfing mods comparo)

scot71

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I discovered something last night. Trying to surf without ballast or the wedge attached SUCKS!! I took my daughter out last night just to try learning to get up on the board. We weren't worried about actually surfing, so I didn't set the boat up to do so. Once she got tired, I decided to play around a little. HOLY CRAP did that suck.

Stevenpigsooie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Before I buy more ballast ... anyone tried the transom bag centered on the platform? Half my family (and regular crew) surfs goofy, and I don't want to spend all day dealing with the 800lb gorilla. We are getting a *decent* wave with the factory locker bag 50%-75%, surf side rear bag 100%, other side empty, plus wake booster. I'm considering adding 2 of the 155lb cubes to the surf side platform and transom seat. I'm thinking this 300lbs in combination with the factory under the rear seat should be enough weight in the surf corner? At least it gives me some options depending on crew size.
I discussed this somewhere earlier in the thread I think. We can get ropeless with the wakebooster and custom bag centered on the swim deck but the wave is not as good and it definitely takes more effort on my part to be ropeless. Putting the bag on the surfside has given the best wave and in fact when I added additional weight on the surf side it made the wave to tall and the pocket too short. Therefore our current best set up is custom bag on swim deck surf side and center storage locker bag full + wakebooster.

grywlfbg

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I've been thinking about this as I am goofy and my wife regular. Not sure about the kids yet. My plan is to just call a "steel beach" swim session while I transfer and hope to just do it once per outing. I think I may end up getting 2 transom bags and just move water between them to save time instead of drain/move bag/fill but may have to let my wallet recover after the boat purchase.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've been thinking about this as I am goofy and my wife regular. Not sure about the kids yet. My plan is to just call a "steel beach" swim session while I transfer and hope to just do it once per outing. I think I may end up getting 2 transom bags and just move water between them to save time instead of drain/move bag/fill but may have to let my wallet recover after the boat purchase.
Not to beat my own drum... but this setup is truly an "under 5min" deal:
(notwithstanding the need to a second Wake Wedge in my case, or other device)

--

RiverRatSx210

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is any one in the this thread running an sx boat WITHOUT tower? Trying to figure out what the hell to do with boards. When we are sitting I throw it on top of the Bimini, but I am too worried about strapping it to the Bimini and hitting chop and waves and my top breaking.

I’ve searched and searched and the guys the made and sold rusty racks are out of business. Guessing I’m going to have to make my own cleat rack.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
View attachment 102365

--
You've got so many great mods you need to update your signature with links to them, I'm really interested in the transom bag pumps but now have to go search for the thread

if you add hyperlinks to the words in your signature a person could just click on them like Julian did in his signature,

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You've got so many great mods you need to update your signature with links to them, I'm really interested in the transom bag pumps but now have to go search for the thread

if you add hyperlinks to the words in your signature a person could just click on them like Julian did in his signature,

Yes, I've been meaning to do that... Thanks for the reminder!

--

jcyamahariders wife

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
View attachment 102365

--
We use 2 pumps and filling the bag in 5 mins also. We also use a pump on the top to speed up the emptying process as well. Make sure you don't have those ropes aren't pulling too tight on those handles. They will rip right off. They are not meant to hold the weight of the bag but merely a guide for securing the rope if anyone was curious. I will send a picture if nobody believes me ! 😂

20190809_173102.jpg
20190809_173041.jpg

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We use 2 pumps and filling the bag in 5 mins also. We also use a pump on the top to speed up the emptying process as well. Make sure you don't have those ropes aren't pulling too tight on those handles. They will rip right off. They are not meant to hold the weight of the bag but merely a guide for securing the rope if anyone was curious. I will send a picture if nobody believes me ! 😂

View attachment 102415
View attachment 102416
Thank you for the tip! I did not know that...
Well, since it is a transom bag that hangs off of a swim deck, perhaps version 2.0 could incorporate a more robust tethering system.
Oh, and larger ID ports...?
:cool:

--

jcyamahariders wife

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thank you for the tip! I did not know that...
Well, since it is a transom bag that hangs off of a swim deck, perhaps version 2.0 could incorporate a more robust tethering system.
Oh, and larger ID ports...?
:cool:

--
Yeah your bag is hanging on the edge so I understand how you have yours tied !

CNofo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
800 lbs on surf side seat, 800 lbs on swim deck. DIY wedge. Usually add an additional 500 lb unless boat full of people. We were light on this vid. Son didn't want to give up drink. He is our only goofy foot but surfs on our side.
What’s your boat 21 or 24? Also I made a DIY wakebooster wedge and I’m curious about your DIY wedge?

Attachments

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
"Accidentally" filled the port under-seat bag 100% in Aaron to the transom and most of the ski locker. Wife said the boat was a sluggish to maneuver and was topped out... But the wave was great! I realized afterwards that I didn't have the Wake Wedge adjusted down at all, otherwise it may have been better.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What’s your boat 21 or 24? Also I made a DIY wakebooster wedge and I’m curious about your DIY wedge?
2008 AR230 Don't have any pictures handy but it's more like a wedge product. I haven't gotten around to building the design you have but it's on my radar. Yours looks very good!

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Who said you need ballast, wedge, all that stuff to surf, when few good friends will do!
Surfing a Yamaha sans mods (just add human ballast, lol):

--

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Well today we got out to play once again.

Today’s setup had the 850lb transom bag, as well as 400lb in the locker. We recruited a light driver so that three of us “Big” adults could sit port side rear. It worked well.

I know we are going to get the second 400lb bag surf side, so that we get additional list. The wave smoothed out accasionally. But was fairly dirty on top.

My 160lb surfer could go ropeless all day long. I personally got ropeless for a bit, but had more fun with the rope. Enjoy!

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Went out on @iamcalled '18 AR240.

put 500lbs on the Port side rear seat and one person sitting on the port side swim deck and was able to go ropeless.
we were going between 10-11 mph.
no wedge or deflector
Full Tank of Gas
Driver and 35lb kid in boat.

Here is the Video jump to 1:10 for the ropeless part.
Excuse my theatrics, I always think I am funnier in the moment.

https://youtu.be/FyUrOh6Lz0I

MGoMike

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Curious people’s thought on upgrade order... I’ve got a 2019 212x with built-in ballast. I’m thinking I’ll want to get swim deck ballast, gps speed control, and a wake shaping device (wakebooster or wake wedge). What’s the most beneficial to get first? Second? Third?

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Curious people’s thought on upgrade order... I’ve got a 2019 212x with built-in ballast. I’m thinking I’ll want to get swim deck ballast, gps speed control, and a wake shaping device (wakebooster or wake wedge). What’s the most beneficial to get first? Second? Third?
My opinion
  1. Transom ballast bag
  2. Shaper device
  3. Ridesteady
You can create a surfable wake with enough ballast. There's just no replacement for displacement.

But my real advice, bite the bullet and don't waste a season on a mediocre wave. Get what you need get'er done. It cost, but you forget the money after the fist surf. The true reality is you saved tens of thousands of dollars on a wake boat. It's so much more liberating and enjoyable to just hop on the board and play. No more struggling just to go ropeless.