• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Show Us Your Wake! (surfing mods comparo)

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
I’m still a little frustrated trying to surf... I knew it was going to be a little more of a challenge with my 2018 Ar190 and my list of “wants/needs” in mods to accommodate are a little (a lot) more than the wife wants me to do in one season. Ronix 800lb ballast on upper platform deck est filled to 700lb @ 11mph Friday and nice smooth water on liquid force rocket 5’4” and TVW is still sitting on the dining room table as i’m Just holding off install till Will gives the final go. My daughter in the pic is brand new to any Watersports. At 16years old I wouldn’t let her drive and take my picture as she has enough on her plate learning to manipulate the throttle to keep it at 11mph. I myself grew up surfing on the east coast of Florida, it’s been a few years but surfing skills are decent but I just can’t feel or get any push from the wake, haven’t been able to get any slack in the rope. Mods on the horizon L13/pump seal, ridesteady and ribbon delete . I want those before I put another bag in the boat (too much cavitation). Never wakesurfed but wakeboarded most of my life, so this season is a first, just wish I could find a way to ride a good wave to feel what I’m looking for in the push. I’m not giving up (milking the wife for more mods) lol!!
View attachment 97682
get a much better board. I had that board and it's big and slow with not very much volume..

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m still a little frustrated trying to surf... I knew it was going to be a little more of a challenge with my 2018 Ar190 and my list of “wants/needs” in mods to accommodate are a little (a lot) more than the wife wants me to do in one season. Ronix 800lb ballast on upper platform deck est filled to 700lb @ 11mph Friday and nice smooth water on liquid force rocket 5’4” and TVW is still sitting on the dining room table as i’m Just holding off install till Will gives the final go. My daughter in the pic is brand new to any Watersports. At 16years old I wouldn’t let her drive and take my picture as she has enough on her plate learning to manipulate the throttle to keep it at 11mph. I myself grew up surfing on the east coast of Florida, it’s been a few years but surfing skills are decent but I just can’t feel or get any push from the wake, haven’t been able to get any slack in the rope. Mods on the horizon L13/pump seal, ridesteady and ribbon delete . I want those before I put another bag in the boat (too much cavitation). Never wakesurfed but wakeboarded most of my life, so this season is a first, just wish I could find a way to ride a good wave to feel what I’m looking for in the push. I’m not giving up (milking the wife for more mods) lol!!
View attachment 97682
Not a bad looking wave in this picture!
I think you are probably pretty close to going ropeless. Once you dial it in, in the long run you will find cruise control like R-S a godsend.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Although I can't speak definitively about the setup on a 190, it sounds like your doing all you can the to make it work... I think it's a combination of rider position like @jcyamaharider said and speed. Move your front foot forward just a bit behind where you feel your going to dive the nose. Mess with the speed, and see if there's a point anywhere between 9 and 11 that you feel more push. Try a gradual turn surf side to list the boat more and see if that helps any. Pull your self forward and back on the wake looking for that sweet spot.
Like @Arcadyus was mentioning board type/size/volume might be a limiting factor. However, I'd think you should be able to at least feel a little slack in the rope at times if all else is good. I have a 5'0" Rocket that was my first board, it was not the fastest, but I still managed a few short ropeless runs even with a more modest wake. 5'4" is a big board and could be crowding the pocket pretty well. Let me know when you're ready to spend even more money and I'll help you out. ;)

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Although I can't speak definitively about the setup on a 190, it sounds like your doing all you can the to make it work... I think it's a combination of rider position like @jcyamaharider said and speed. Move your front foot forward just a bit behind where you feel your going to dive the nose. Mess with the speed, and see if there's a point anywhere between 9 and 11 that you feel more push. Try a gradual turn surf side to list the boat more and see if that helps any. Pull your self forward and back on the wake looking for that sweet spot.
Like @Arcadyus was mentioning board type/size/volume might be a limiting factor. However, I'd think you should be able to at least feel a little slack in the rope at times if all else is good. I have a 5'0" Rocket that was my first board, it was not the fastest, but I still managed a few short ropeless runs even with a more modest wake. 5'4" is a big board and could be crowding the pocket pretty well. Let me know when you're ready to spend even more money and I'll help you out. ;)
Damn, every time I read one of your very informative posts I feel like I rushed buying my boards at boat shows in the middle of a winter, lol.

Well, that will hopefully be rectified very soon :cool:
In my opinion having a board vendor dedicated to surfing behind Yamaha jetboats and sharing practical, first hand tips, is a tremendous asset to the community.

Just like what Gatlin does with the custom bag and the wedge, it changed everything for us.

Nauti-Nurse

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sure would have been nice if Yamaha had included the 190/195 when designing the wake booster.
I know my ultimate solution @J-RAD... that’s a foil from you!
@swatski we chatted after my first day out and you led me to the L13. Does it come with all the spacers you need or do you have to get them separate and what did you find the optimal spacer size/combo was?

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
View attachment 97682
I would suggest lowering to about 9.5-9.7 mph. That made the difference for me I was trying to do 10.5 originally.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sure would have been nice if Yamaha had included the 190/195 when designing the wake booster.
I know my ultimate solution @J-RAD... that’s a foil from you!
@swatski we chatted after my first day out and you led me to the L13. Does it come with all the spacers you need or do you have to get them separate and what did you find the optimal spacer size/combo was?
Yes, the l13 comes with three spacers and that’s about what it can fit (without sticking out of the Venturi).

I would second the speed comment, tiny differences can make a wave 🌊 pop. May want to use an app with GPS speed, if the factory Speedo does not show decimals (of it is a paddle Speedo).

Most of us find the hull pitch/attitude (with stern pushed down) and roll/list to the surf side is critical in throwing a wake you can surf.
That’s where a bag that you can position further out gives more leverage.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Damn, every time I read one of your very informative posts I feel like I rushed buying my boards at boat shows in the middle of a winter, lol.

Well, that will hopefully be rectified very soon :cool:
In my opinion having a board vendor dedicated to surfing behind Yamaha jetboats and sharing practical, first hand tips, is a tremendous asset to the community.

Just like what Gatlin does with the custom bag and the wedge, it changed everything for us.

I'm still learning myself. This season, with the addition of the transom bag and all of these boards to try out, had been very informative. Having tried a plethora of boards now and managed to successfully surf each one of them. I think the real answer is everyone needs to but a 240/242... lol!

Stevenpigsooie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here’s pictures of the wakebooster fitting with trim tabs. I’m sure there is some deflection happening as the water passes across the actuator but nonetheless I was able to go ropeless with just the wakebooster and custom transom bag.
4C9E85D7-DA74-4A35-BAF2-0519E1112DC6.jpegBCE31F5E-33BA-4DB7-8D49-082ED6444958.jpeg8C40DFE4-BECB-45C7-96DC-B1AA4A616D05.jpegB670CB5E-3353-486E-8E56-9C6DEF5486A7.jpeg

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Stevenpigsooie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My wife filmed this while driving, not great camera work, but it proves I was ropeless. The wave doesn’t look the same from the camera angle as it did riding it, in other words it looked better from behind the boat. Wish I had a go pro to film with.

Specs:
200 lb rider on Yamaha slingshot board
10.5 mph with Ridesteady gps control
Custom transom bag centered on swim deck
Wakebooster

My wife surfs goofy so I put the bag centered. Next I’m going to try adding an additional 650 lb bag on surf side, and maybe some in center locker too.

Last edited:

Nauti-Nurse

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That’s interesting, I looked at it from my history of surfing when I was getting a board. Smaller wave, I thought along the lines of long board. I saw it as having good volume length width and thickness. Bzzzzzz wrong answer I guess lol. I can see where it’s oversized for the pocket. Yes I’m using an app on my phone for gps speed till I nab a ridesteady. I understand bag position, I tried the upper deck with more water in the bag this past session. The lower deck is a wee bit skinny so that was just an experiment on my part. However I was paying attention to list and port side rub rail was running at or even slightly below the water line. I’ll move the bag back down next time.
As a trauma nurse I just want a fix and I want it NOW LOL!

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Got to try out the new slingshot Coaster yesterday from @J-RAD. LOVE THIS BOARD. It's really fast. Surfing the wave is effortless. Got really close with a 360 yesterday. I need to stay a little lower through the spin, and start the spin a little more in the flat. I really think I'll get it before the summer is over.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Got to try out the new slingshot Coaster yesterday from @J-RAD. LOVE THIS BOARD. It's really fast. Surfing the wave is effortless. Got really close with a 360 yesterday. I need to stay a little lower through the spin, and start the spin a little more in the flat. I really think I'll get it before the summer is over.
View attachment 98091
That's awesome @Scottie! I think you just might get there before the seasons thru. Thanks for sharing. Were you running the fins?

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yes, all 3 fins yesterday. It was such a great feel, I wasn't ready to mess with it yet. Next time I think I'll try just the rear fin and see what it feels like. With all 3 fins in, you definitely track toward the middle when the spin starts. More of a "spin in place" would be better, which I'm assuming will be easier with less fins, if I can stay on. :) I really can't overstate how perfect the board is for my setup. I've tried quite a few, and have a couple of really nice ones, and this one just nails it.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think you're on the right track. I'm glad to hear the board it what you hoped it would be. It's a fun one!

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes, all 3 fins yesterday. It was such a great feel, I wasn't ready to mess with it yet. Next time I think I'll try just the rear fin and see what it feels like. With all 3 fins in, you definitely track toward the middle when the spin starts. More of a "spin in place" would be better, which I'm assuming will be easier with less fins, if I can stay on. :) I really can't overstate how perfect the board is for my setup. I've tried quite a few, and have a couple of really nice ones, and this one just nails it.
You guys are getting ADVANCED!!!
Is this the long Yamaha slingshot board they sell with the Booster?

I have a feeling my “come to Jared moment” is fast approaching.
:cool:

Scottie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Ha. yes. This is the same board, minus the yamaha branding. I got the 5'3" version.
coaster front.jpgcoaster back.jpg