• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Show Us Your Wake! (surfing mods comparo)

JasonSchoenrock

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
We tried the transom bag centered for easier switches from regular to goofy and found similar results. Too much weight in the rear and not enough list created a tall, steep wave with not much pocket. We had to empty some ballast in the transom when we moved to regular and it made a big difference as we were maxed out at 9.8mph. Just a little less ballast was huge! Setup was transom bag full (dropped to maybe 80%) under seat bags full (~600#). Center locker 50% (~500#).

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Our (pretty insane) wave:
W/the wedge, plus transom and center bag only - this’s been our simplified (under 10min) setup. 10.7mph at 6,100 RPM, w/RideSteady engine sync (of course).
F17E5063-C63E-4084-BAAE-15EAA754EB8A.jpeg
75D65B3D-BE45-4B94-BE6B-493A64B5E719.jpeg

Last edited:

Damsroy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Newbie here so be gentle ;-)
Had the boat for a week so everything is pretty new to me.
Second time wake surfing.
Set up based on feedback from this forum: wakebooster package, custom transom ballast bag 2/3 full, locker ballst bag 750lbs full, three people on board.
I'm 180lbs and was able to go rope less. Based on this first experience I'm confident the wave is better than the surfer so there is plenty of room for improvement :)

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Newbie here so be gentle ;-)
Had the boat for a week so everything is pretty new to me.
Second time wake surfing.
Set up based on feedback from this forum: wakebooster package, custom transom ballast bag 2/3 full, locker ballst bag 750lbs full, three people on board.
I'm 180lbs and was able to go rope less. Based on this first experience I'm confident the wave is better than the surfer so there is plenty of room for improvement :)
Nothing to be ashamed of there. You're getting the right equipment from the start and you'll be giving us all lessons by the end of the season. 🤙

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think that's a great wave. You may have hit the nail on this head. Ballast balance is probably as important as the weight itself. We had a better wave with the transom bag not totally full, as we could not get enough bow weight. And when we did, we didn't have enough weight to list the boat.

Nice work! It's a clean wave for sure!

Damsroy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think that's a great wave. You may have hit the nail on this head. Ballast balance is probably as important as the weight itself. We had a better wave with the transom bag not totally full, as we could not get enough bow weight. And when we did, we didn't have enough weight to list the boat.

Nice work! It's a clean wave for sure!
Thank you guys. I'm really only replicating what I learned on this board.
The funny thing is that this last run was not supposed to happen. The day was over and we had opened the caps from the transom bag to empty the water out. It was one third empty when one of my buddy convinced me to do a last run. Put the cap back on but didn't to take the pump and fill the bag again so bag was only two third filled. Ski locker bag was still completely full. And this is when the magic happened....best wave we had all day!!!!!

Last edited:

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@BigAbe75

What’s the setup in these videos?
These are full transom bag on port side, full ski locker, wake wedge, 350lb driver and 2 (regular size) bodies on port side (1 in rear corner and 1 in admiral’s chair)

Using Yamaha slingshot coaster (I think that’s what it’s called) board (but not wake booster)

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The wave is just insane, transom bag, center locker, and WW only, it's like we keep marveling at it.
There is so much push going ropeless is very easy, to the point one forgets... I caught Kate today taking her vest off, briefly, to scratch her back...

She can go back I don;t know, 20-30ft? And then recover no problem. It's insane:

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Today we had no other ballast (than transom and center) w/ just the two of us for a while, the transom bag was full but we did not even drag the platform corner under water...

When we come back from the lake I will re-rig the intakes and use two pumps to blow that transom bag, I fill the center ski locker bag in under 5min but the transom takes a bit longer so it will be nice to cut it in half.

--

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I should mention, I tend to fill using no wake 2 or 3 (high idle), keeps the voltage up above 13V which makes a big difference in fill/empty speeds.

--

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
These are full transom bag on port side, full ski locker, wake wedge, 350lb driver and 2 (regular size) bodies on port side (1 in rear corner and 1 in admiral’s chair)

Using Yamaha slingshot coaster (I think that’s what it’s called) board (but not wake booster)

Nice, looks good!

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Looks great guys. Now if Yamaha would just figure out some way to incorporate more ballast in to the stern sides of the boat, and a motorized wedge system to clean the wake they could produce a real Yamaha jet surf boat out of the box. Just press a few buttons on Connext, and go!

jcyamahariders wife

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Looks great guys. Now if Yamaha would just figure out some way to incorporate more ballast in to the stern sides of the boat, and a motorized wedge system to clean the wake they could produce a real Yamaha jet surf boat out of the box. Just press a few buttons on Connext, and go!
Jerry has tons of ideas . . . I think Yamaha needs to hire @jcyamaharider as a surfing consultant hint hint ! @Yamaha #Yamaha

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Jerry has tons of ideas . . . I think Yamaha needs to hire @jcyamaharider as a surfing consultant hint hint ! @Yamaha #Yamaha
Yep! Actually they should of done this yesterday. They are behind the curve on this one. Their headquarters is about 20 minutes away from me so I can swing by and vouch for him lol!

jcyamahariders wife

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yep! Actually they should of done this yesterday. They are behind the curve on this one. Their headquarters is about 20 minutes away from me so I can swing by and vouch for him lol!
We will send you his resume to hand deliver ! Lol

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The wave is just insane, transom bag, center locker, and WW only, it's like we keep marveling at it.
There is so much push going ropeless is very easy, to the point one forgets... I caught Kate today taking her vest off, briefly, to scratch her back...
View attachment 99488

She can go back I don;t know, 20-30ft? And then recover no problem. It's insane:
View attachment 99489

View attachment 99490

--
These pics are great. Nice long clean pocket. I currently have either a thigh high wave with a short pocket or long pocket with knee high wave depending on speed and ballast setup. The issue with the high wave and short pocket is that we are running our surf style board into the back of the boat and I just had to complete my second epoxy repair on that board (eps core board). Damage has been minimal to the board in just chipping the way the finish on the nose corners but I still felt sealing them back up was the right thing to do. We have always fallen backwards and to the side so far when this happens and the bag actually adds some protection for the surfer but we can't continue that way. We don't have that problem with our long board (H/L Landlocked) on the tall wave with short pocket but still have a bit of an issue with the surf style even with the long pocket and shorter wave. My thinking is that I need to remove or change a couple of fins on the surf style (Doomswell Neo) as it is way too fast when we step on the gas with knees over toes or if standing a bit too tall it tracks causing us to pearl it heel side and we go for a swim. Someone posted a link to some great info on fins but I can't seem to find it searching as all of the boat fin steering stuff pops up instead. Can someone repost that link?

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length