• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Show Us Your Wake! (surfing mods comparo)

rkim808

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
8AE8F33E-2381-42CF-B9A6-26E530836BE1.jpegAloha Gang, so my ohana(family) and I have been trying to figure this surf wake thing out. Right now I have

400lb bags tucked in the side compartments
700lb bag in ski locker
550lb bag on the deck on top fuel tank compartment
WakeWedge

I have used all the bags as of yet, I’ve been noticing when I add more weight the wake get super sloppy. I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong but the nicest wake I been able to make is with my ski locker bag on the transom on the port side. I wanted to try and see how it would be with a transom bag, so made my own lol. Here’s a pic of the wake, at 10mph. Please lmk what I’m doing wrong?🤙🏽

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You’re definitely right on, more weight does not equal better wake!
Its mostly about the distribution, for most of us some serious weight on the transom - listing the boat, counterbalanced with weight in the center locker and/ or the bow does the trick.

rkim808

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You’re definitely right on, more weight does not equal better wake!
Its mostly about the distribution, for most of us some serious weight on the transom - listing the boat, counterbalanced with weight in the center locker and/ or the bow does the trick.

So I’m going to need a dedicated transom bag and put the ski locker back where it belongs to counter balance the weight? My girls also been telling me they can’t see the WakeWedge underway, like in most of the videos we’ve been watching on YouTube. Maybe my angle is wrong?

Stevenpigsooie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I’m going to need a dedicated transom bag and put the ski locker back where it belongs to counter balance the weight? My girls also been telling me they can’t see the WakeWedge underway, like in most of the videos we’ve been watching on YouTube. Maybe my angle is wrong?
It doesn’t take much angle on the wedge, very little in fact.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you get the surfside corner of the swim deck underwater while sitting then you're on the right track with ballast. The custom transom bag makes it easy.

As for the angle of the wedge. Maybe 5 degrees is all. You should be able to see the wedge, it should skim the water and not plow.

rkim808

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’ll try adjust the WakeWedge cause my girls say they can’t see it underway. Hopefully it’s a easy fix like that, and the wake will be beautiful.🤙🏽

scot71

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So, I finally got a chance to get some video of my surf setup. this was with 800# bag as far back on the port corner as I can get it and my homemade wakewedge (I'll try to get a picture of it tomorrow). Wife and I were the only ones onboard. I think some weight in the ski locker would make it even better, but doesn't look to bad.

jcyamahariders wife

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So, I finally got a chance to get some video of my surf setup. this was with 800# bag as far back on the port corner as I can get it and my homemade wakewedge (I'll try to get a picture of it tomorrow). Wife and I were the only ones onboard. I think some weight in the ski locker would make it even better, but doesn't look to bad.

Good job Scott can't wait to see you out surfing at the gathering !

Renod

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
This is the wake with the Wakebooster installed, the port side bag @ 100% while going 11 mph.

nate kennedy

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Here was last weekend. 2015 212X 400# fat sacs under port and starboard seats and the custom swim deck bag. Crew was 3 passengers 1 driver 1 surfer. 1 person in the bow non surf side other 2 surf side cockpit. Video shot with iPhone across from the driver. We didn’t fill any of the ski locker bag. That would Have lengthened our wave, but the push was awesome and boat didn’t seam to struggle too much! Bonus points awesome to finally have our stereo in while surfing that defiantly adds another level of fun!

Edit: perfect pass set at 10.5 mph

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Repost
Grabbed a pic of both the wake and screen before I got in the board.
View attachment 99922

View attachment 99921

You can see my RPM offset, speed, water depth and fuel. Also performing a gradual turn surf side.
Behold the power of the Coaster!

Here's a sneak preview of an experiment we started. To discover the true surfing and coasting potential of the Slingshot Coaster.

Boat - 2016 AR240
Board - 2019 Coaster 5'0" (not the 5'3")
Ballast - Integrated aftermarke Equivalent to stock 242x. 500 lb rear surfside under seat ballast 100% folded. NO OTHER BALLAST.
Human ballast - Wife/driver and ~30lb 5 year old
Shaper - Wake Wedge. Installed, but left at fully raised during riding
GPS Speed Control - Hydrophase Ridesteady, system was taken off engine sync so throttles could be offset.
Speed - 9.8 MPH

Full video will post tomorrow.
View attachment 99892
I could even mess around for a bit too.
View attachment 99893

Edit: I failed to mention this was on 1/3 tank of fuel.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hyperlite Landlock 5'9", Ridesteady @ 10.5 MPH, Cobra Super Ultimate Fins and Mega Fangs, Gantlin Wake Wedge, Fatsac 750lb stern wake side 3/4 filled, Fatsac center locker 3/4 filled, 4 adults, 300lb steel shot divided between port and starboard under rear seats. (no factory ballast utilized).
Learned real fast fully fill transom Fatsac...too much water movement with 3/4 filled...snapped a holding strap I'm going to continue moving the weight around and maybe some bow weight and factory ballast.
You can do it..it only took me 3 years...Thanks Jetboaters.net!
Happy Surfing!

Last edited:

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hyperlite Landlock 5'9", Ridesteady @ 10.5 MPH, Cobra Super Ultimate Fins and Mega Fangs, Gantlin Wake Wedge, Fatsac 750lb stern wake side 3/4 filled, Fatsac center locker 3/4 filled, 4 adults, 300lb steel shot divided between port and starboard under rear seats. (no factory ballast utilized).
Learned real fast fully fill transom Fatsac...too much water movement with 3/4 filled...snapped a holding strap I'm going to continue moving the weight around and maybe some bow weight and factory ballast.
Happy Surfing!

Video unavailable!

--

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Happy Surfing!

Unavaliable.......

*EDIT* swatski beat me too it

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My AR195 ballast set up. Went rope less and oh what a feeling of joy!B56826F7-DF7A-4338-8A8C-E9166B619695.jpeg7FC4F12E-825A-4FE0-9377-AF0C11DEC580.jpeg4A0FF7B6-4F78-41DF-A7AB-5AE08442D595.jpeg4BD56012-F5E5-4ED8-AA1E-88F8808595F5.jpeg

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length