• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Show Us Your Wake! (surfing mods comparo)

DavisAR195

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Holy ballast bags Batman!!

Are those all 800’s? (Except the transom, isn’t that 500+?)
The transom is 490lbs, ski locker 370lbs, and the other 2 bags are 225lbs each.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Holy ballast bags Batman!!

Are those all 800’s? (Except the transom, isn’t that 500+?)
I swear mine is going to look the same when done. I cannot get enough bodies in my boat with the patience to tune the wake. Ballast bags were made for folks like me with no friends. But boy, once that wave is setup, then they will come around, and I tune all over again.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Taking the back fins off the neo was the ticket. Had the go pro mounted up on the back of the bimini and am sure it was getting some great footage. Problem is it also likely got some footage of getting snapped off the bimini by the surf rope while pulling some aggressive stuff, flying through the air, splashing into the lake and sinking in 40 to 60 ft of water. Guess I will have to buy a new one. My wife did get a few still shots on her phone of my son practicing some moves with with the rope.

Surfer is 15 years old, 72.5 inches tall, and 167lbs (wrestler so he tracks this daily). Me and my wife on the boat with two dogs. Wife on the port side bow seat. 800lbs in locker, 400 lbs under port seat, 850lb custom gatlin bag on port side swim deck, 80 percent fuel, 2016 242ls boat, ridesteady set at 10.4 mph, and my own custom undisclosed surf device.

I am calling this move hanging butt. Not sure how he hung on and rode it out even with the rope but sure would be nice to be in his shape again. These shots do a good job of showing off the wave I am sticking with for the rest of the season. Sorry about not having the rope-less video this time but if someone really wants it they will need some diving gear. The last photo is in case there are any water-sports modeling scouts out there offering scholarships ;) @J-RAD any of your suppliers looking for one?

7FA0D698-5DE6-43A9-8FF3-515EFFE890F8.jpeg7ADB07F5-0A74-4473-A0FB-E2E83966D8A8.jpeg
F49A7059-0214-4641-855A-FC7EBF0FB350.jpeg

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Mainah, I'll look into that for you... 😂

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm starting to build SwatskiSurfBallast 2.0, lol. It will use three reversible pumps blowing up one (or two) transom bag(s).
While keeping the voltage running at 14+ volts, one bag should fill quick enough? lol

Distinct from that:
As far as surf side changes, has anyone considered two Gatlin transom bags and something like this?
I'm thinking of plumbing that a bit different for faster transfer (two of three pumps), but even this would be pretty fast already, given zero gravity.
I would think this would beat wrestling the walrus, AKA as moving the Gatlin transom bag to the other side of the swim platform.
Thoughts?

--

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We set out with the 4'8" Cobra Cat XR and the 4'8" Butter Bar Friday evening. We started off with just the transom bag and the ski locker bag full. We had about 75% fuel and 2 runt kids on board. The wind seemed to be picking up, so I knew our surf time was limited.

After a couple runs we I just didn't feel like I had it...
20190719_190209_1_1.gif
I only had time for a few runs on the Cobra Cat before the weather turned on us.

We went back out again Saturday. This time 50% fuel and my mother-in-law and 2 year old took the place of my 11 year old. We started off the similar to Friday, but quickly found the push wasn't quite right... I'd been on both of these boards before and the ride was awesome! And effortless. So we decided to change the setup.

Kept the transom bag full. 3/4 full on the ski locker and 2/3 ballast in the port under seat. Tried it again at 10.4mph and BOOM!

20190720_183648_1_1.gif
Getting barreled in the Butter Bar... (kind of)

20190720_182329_1_1.gif
The Cobra Cat strike!

20190720_190423_1_1.gif
From the back field...

20190720_184718_1_1.gif
Spreading the butter.

Moral of the story. The wake brings out all the potential in these boards. When the combination is right, everything feels right with the world. Between the wife and I, we rode for over an hour.

Last edited:

Osric

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thoughts?
Well you've got a lot more experience than I do and so what do I know? But I'd keep it simple and just get a second transom bag and a second hose for the tsunami pump. The Tsunami is already fully capable of moving the water from one transom bag to the other, just hook it up, run it. You'd lose a bit of water, pump it in from the lake and you're on the other side.

It'd definitely make the changeover quicker, though I estimate that even someone unfamiliar with the setup can drain the bag, move it, fill it, and be on their way in 30m, and with practice I think all that can be done in just under 20m while everyone on the boat takes a swim.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well you've got a lot more experience than I do and so what do I know? But I'd keep it simple and just get a second transom bag and a second hose for the tsunami pump. The Tsunami is already fully capable of moving the water from one transom bag to the other, just hook it up, run it. You'd lose a bit of water, pump it in from the lake and you're on the other side.

It'd definitely make the changeover quicker, though I estimate that even someone unfamiliar with the setup can drain the bag, move it, fill it, and be on their way in 30m, and with practice I think all that can be done in just under 20m while everyone on the boat takes a swim.
That is an interesting idea! I did not consider aerator-style as I would need two (non-reversibles). Unless I have a quick connectors and can swap the orientation. Also, the best aerator style pumps are actually much faster than reversible (when not fighting gravity, which is the situation here), and are way cheaper. So, that has potential!

I do want a system though that is (partially) hidden from view, with the bags on the platform but plumbing and pumps built inside the stern; just two (or three) hoses per bag coming out of wet compartments, the bags and hoses being stored there, too, when not in use.

--

Osric

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I do want a system though that is (partially) hidden from view, with the bags on the platform but plumbing and pumps built inside the stern; just two (or three) hoses per bag coming out of wet compartments, the bags and hoses being stored there, too, when not in use.
My approach definitely doesn't meet your criteria. I was thinking one full transom bag on the transom, one in under-seat storage along with the tsunami pump with an extra hose for the intake with quick disconnects for the bags on it. Then, to swap, pull out the second transom bag, wire up the pump between the bags, plug in and pump. Then disconnect the pump and take it and the original transom bag and stow underseat, tie on the new transom bag using the same ropes that were originally holding the bag that was just emptied, and off you go. So at any given time I'm imagining surfing with one side set up and the other side stowed, and only using the pump and extra bag for the changeover. If the Tsunami pump performs to its specifications, the pump from one side to the other should take 3.5 minutes ... you'll spend more time getting out the bag, hooking it up, and tying it down in my solution than you will futzing with the pump, and it's all stowed and out of view the rest of the time.

Brad460

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
This is what I have for this weekend to test on our ‘19 AR210:

2 ~600lbs bags (1 for transom and 1 for ski locker)
Yamaha Wakebooster

Obviously have the Yamaha slingshot board, but also have a much shorter Hyperlite surf board. This shorter board is very quick and seems to work well on smaller waves.

Looking forward to the results!

JasonSchoenrock

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Getting the wave dialed in now. Following @swatski advice and just using a full center locker (~800#) and the @jcyamaharider swim deck bag filled full. We had three guys in the boat and really noticed a difference just moving one guy from the swim platform to the bow of the boat. Having the guy on the bow really helped lengthen the wave. I'm guessing we could also adjust by either speeding up or emptying the swim deck bag a bit. Everyone surfed ropeless and found the pocket was nice and long. Having the 5'9" board is very nice for us old guys! No video of me, but here's my regular-footed friend riding on the goofy side. Video doesn't really do the wave justice - we had a nice curl most of the time - but the wind kicked up a bit here.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Getting the wave dialed in now. Following @swatski advice and just using a full center locker (~800#) and the @jcyamaharider swim deck bag filled full. We had three guys in the boat and really noticed a difference just moving one guy from the swim platform to the bow of the boat. Having the guy on the bow really helped lengthen the wave. I'm guessing we could also adjust by either speeding up or emptying the swim deck bag a bit. Everyone surfed ropeless and found the pocket was nice and long. Having the 5'9" board is very nice for us old guys! No video of me, but here's my regular-footed friend riding on the goofy side. Video doesn't really do the wave justice - we had a nice curl most of the time - but the wind kicked up a bit here.
That is a very good size wave for a yammie even considering on starboard. What surf device are you using? I have that exact board but it is mounted on a wall in the family/game room now. It is very prone to pearling/nose diving. Great for teaching someone to get up on or for rope with hardly any wave but once the wave is good enough like yours and you can go ropeless there are other boards you will be able to ride easier. I think you will find a skim stlye board like the slingshot coaster easier and more comfortable to ride ropeless. With a full 850lb custom swim deck bag we have learned that someone in the bow on the surf side plus the center locker full really helps. It is the positioning of that custom gatlin fatsac bag that makes a big difference in wave height and also enhances the impact of any surf devices. Getting the jets pointed at too great a down angle (bow too high) makes the boat struggle and the pocket too short in length.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I will echo @Mainah advise as far as the transom bag, I would always start with that one filled to capacity, and I mean HARD. Then adjust everything else. Speed is definitely a factor and an easy way to lengthen the pocket by bumping it to 11 or so.

For lighter and/or more skilled riders I can also make some fine-er adjustments with my trim tabs, work surprisingly well but generally take away from the depth of the pocket, shaping it somewhat longer and wider.

Kate (wife) is convinced that our wave (at it's usual best) is basically as good as that behind most dedicated wake boats we frequent, admittedly not the very high end, and for the most part slightly older. Where we lack is set up speed and convenience (SwatskiSurfBallast 2.0 coming soon, lol) but primarily the (in)ability to switch sides, which simply sucks. It's doable but just a PIA.
In this context, I love watching @JasonSchoenrock's friend reverse stance on that nice wave (regular, going on goofy side)!
I think my "goofy" family member and all goofy guests will need to watch your video clip, and act accordingly, lolol. (sorry Gosia!)

--

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I will echo @Mainah advise as far as the transom bag, I would always start with that one filled to capacity, and I mean HARD. Then adjust everything else. Speed is definitely a factor and an easy way to lengthen the pocket by bumping it to 11 or so.
--

JasonSchoenrock

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks for the advice @Mainah! Went back out for lunch and tried the Slingshot that came with the Wakebooster and had a great time. This time it was just my wife and I so no moving ballast around the boat, but with center locker full and transom bag full, it was a great wave and much more fun ride carving with the Slingshot!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
20190725_174059.jpg

my available ballast, I was just looking for an extra pump to speed fill times and found a local person selling a tsunami with the same set up I had so now I have an extra pump, 1100 and 2 400's for $100.

now I have to have the patience to try them,

Brad460

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
This is what I have for this weekend to test on our ‘19 AR210:

2 ~600lbs bags (1 for transom and 1 for ski locker)
Yamaha Wakebooster

Obviously have the Yamaha slingshot board, but also have a much shorter Hyperlite surf board. This shorter board is very quick and seems to work well on smaller waves.

Looking forward to the results!
We tested this set up a couple weeks in a row...600 in the ski locker and 600 on the rear transom. Also had a couple larger adults in the back corner. Plus the Wakebooster...

None of this was enough to surf and to be quiet honest the whole filling up the bags and mounting the Wakebooster is a real pain in the azz. We don’t surf enough to go through all this nonsense...Add this to the several other reasons we regret buying this boat.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We tested this set up a couple weeks in a row...600 in the ski locker and 600 on the rear transom. Also had a couple larger adults in the back corner. Plus the Wakebooster...

None of this was enough to surf and to be quiet honest the whole filling up the bags and mounting the Wakebooster is a real pain in the azz. We don’t surf enough to go through all this nonsense...Add this to the several other reasons we regret buying this boat.
My suggestion, try nothing in ther ski locker SMS fill the bag on the transom only. Then move both feet an inch or two closer to the front of the board. If you have video you can post it would give us a better idea as to the major hangups are.