• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Show Us Your Wake! (surfing mods comparo)

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
took the boat out last night for 2 hours with my daughter and 75lbs of poop machine

I tried to focus on just relaxing and seeing how far back I could go, foot position and balance are everything, I found a couple of times I was washing out the back and I'd actually move my front foot way forward and put most of my weight on the front quarter of the board and was able to save it,

board is a LF Fish 5'6"
started with
transmom bag
1100 lbs on cockpit floor
400 lbs under surf side seat
400 lbs on floor in bow
home made wedge
10.5 mph

Apologies for the sideways video,
Can't control/explain to kids
I'll have go pro going next time

then drained the 400 lbs under the seat
wave was of course longer

then reduced speed to 9.5mph
no video

then increased speed to 11 mph,
I thought the wave was cleaner, my daughter described it as "slippery"

20190812_191406.jpg20190812_184617.jpg20190812_182702.jpg

Last edited:

Onserve212X

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
My opinion
  1. Transom ballast bag
  2. Shaper device
  3. Ridesteady
You can create a surfable wake with enough ballast. There's just no replacement for displacement.

But my real advice, bite the bullet and don't waste a season on a mediocre wave. Get what you need get'er done. It cost, but you forget the money after the fist surf. The true reality is you saved tens of thousands of dollars on a wake boat. It's so much more liberating and enjoyable to just hop on the board and play. No more struggling just to go ropeless.
1. Wake shaper device
2. Transom or human ballast (free)
3. Ridesteady

The 212X already has stock ballast, then add a few friends, like Swatski’s post. Honestly, my recommendation is to get the shaper and bag at the same time. GPS is nice to have, but not a must.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I guess it mainly depends on the model as to which you place first in terms of shaper vs ballast. If you're trying to surf an AR240, then step 1 is ballast and more ballast. Followed by the shaper.

I will say that our wasn't until I added the transom ballast bag to the collection that the boat wave REALLY came alive. Prior was a bit meh... unless, I had a bunch of bodies on board. Maybe you'll manage to go ropeless for a bit, but is not much to play with.

Likewise, the Ridesteady only belongs 3rd on the list in relation to surfing. If surfing is only part of the equation and you're doing a fair amount of skiing and wakeboarding otherwise, then I would probably move it more to the top. Because it really is amazing!

Last edited:

JasonSchoenrock

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Curious people’s thought on upgrade order... I’ve got a 2019 212x with built-in ballast. I’m thinking I’ll want to get swim deck ballast, gps speed control, and a wake shaping device (wakebooster or wake wedge). What’s the most beneficial to get first? Second? Third?
I'd say since you've already got built-in ballast, go with a wedge/booster first. Agree that speed control is last on the list if primarily surfing.

rkim808

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

This is my daughter going ropeless, Wake was on the smaller side with only the 400# bags filled in side compartments and 4 adults and one child on board on our AR240. My son likes to jump on and off the transom, so didn’t fill a bag on it lol🤣. He says it’s in his way...

Last edited:

Stevenpigsooie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I agree with the order Ballast first, then wake shaper, then speed control. I will say, however that speed control will make the whole experience day and night better. I’m not sure I would want to surf anymore if I didn’t have it.

galonuscct

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Does anyone here have video/photo of a 2019 242x wakesurfing set up with stock ballast and wakebooster? No mods! About to pull the trigger on Friday and wife and I not too keen on spending all that money and still needing mods to surf.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Unless you weigh 100 pounds your going to need mods to surf. There isn't enough weight even with the factory ballast to displace the water.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Does anyone here have video/photo of a 2019 242x wakesurfing set up with stock ballast and wakebooster? No mods! About to pull the trigger on Friday and wife and I not too keen on spending all that money and still needing mods to surf.
I've seen video. You can do it. It's not great.

With the 242X with the WakeBooster, the one mod you'll need to be able to surf well is the custom transom ballast bag. @jcyamaharider can hook you up with. In which case you'll likely want to incorporate a better/faster method of filling it.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I've seen video. You can do it. It's not great.

With the 242X with the WakeBooster, the one mod you'll need to be able to surf well is the custom transom ballast bag. @jcyamaharider can hook you up with. In which case you'll likely want to incorporate a better/faster method of filling it.
Agree, it can be done....... I could probably do it........ but that doesn't mean I want to. Just spend a little bit more for an over the side pump and Transom bag and you will be set. Like @J-RAD said, I sell both items. www.gantlinproducts.com

galonuscct

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
Agree, it can be done....... I could probably do it........ but that doesn't mean I want to. Just spend a little bit more for an over the side pump and Transom bag and you will be set. Like @J-RAD said, I sell both items. www.gantlinproducts.com
How long does it take to fill up the 800 lb bag with the pump you sell? You think that will cut it with the stock boat ballast, thrust vector wake, and your transom bag?

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My setup is Ski locker full, Custom Transom bag and my Wake Wedge. This Combo produces the best Yamaha surf wake out there.

Bag fills in roughly 15 minutes with the one pump.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Same setup as above but on @BigAbe75 boat

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How long does it take to fill up the 800 lb bag with the pump you sell? You think that will cut it with the stock boat ballast, thrust vector wake, and your transom bag?
Regardless of the shaping device you will need additional ballast to actually displace the water needed for a larger surfable wake.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My setup is Ski locker full, Custom Transom bag and my Wake Wedge. This Combo produces the best Yamaha surf wake out there.

Bag fills in roughly 15 minutes with the one pump.
I use his bag on the transom with a Supa Tsunami pump, and he's right, about a beer. Draining it takes nothing.

Scrodee

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Here's a 2019 242X with port ballast full and center bag at 35%. Factory ballast only with the Yamaha wakebooster. Maybe 300 lbs of flesh ballast.

This is a video of the first time my wife has EVER tried to wakesurf, please be kind.

I have tried several times myself with various setups of ballast and speed. I feel like I can get a nice looking wave that's not crusty and whatnot but can't ever go ropeless.

Not sure how much it's me or how much it's the wave though; we are totally new to this. 🤷‍♂️

Have thought about the transom bag for next season once if I feel like I can confirm that I am doing things right and it's the wave that sucks.

Last edited:

Stevenpigsooie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It’s a learned skill to ride on a wave and feel the push. A few weeks ago I tried a different setup and had my buddy surfing but he couldn’t get ropeless. I kept asking, can you feel the push? I traded out with him and in 10 seconds motioned for him to stop and said this setup doesn’t work there’s no push. You can feel the sweet spot and almost draw a line where it fades out. The wave on our boats is determined by displacement (ballast), jet deflection, and speed. You could have the perfect setup yet mess up the wave by being .5 too fast or slow. But here’s the good news. Once it’s dialed in you can reproduce it quickly and consistently over and over.