• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Show Us Your Wake! (surfing mods comparo)

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Heres a little clip of that same run from my homie. He's a legit 6'2" 255lb cat who shreds like he's 155lbs. The El Jefe as you can see handles his weight very well. Remember when we were kids and wanted to get better at sports. What did we do? Played with kids who were better and eventually we got better. It's the same with surfing. Go surf with dudes and chicks who are much better than you. You will progress so fast it's eerie.

http://instagr.am/p/B1eNv5rBI_P/

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
What I'm also learning is the change in color in the wave can really show you how much push your wave will have and how it's structured. I may annoy my friends but I ask a lot of why questions when they say something relative to the wave or how to pick up a rider. I learned with a wakeboat the best way to get your rider quickly is once their down to throw the boat in reverse until the last wave passes the boat. Then whip around and get your rider. I can do it now in like 15 seconds or so. Little tips like these make a huge difference in things like safety on a busy lake. Another good tip is to stand the board straight up while waiting so other boats can see you easier.

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What I'm also learning is the change in color in the wave can really show you how much push your wave will have and how it's structured. I may annoy my friends but I ask a lot of why questions when they say something relative to the wave or how to pick up a rider. I learned with a wakeboat the best way to get your rider quickly is once their down to throw the boat in reverse until the last wave passes the boat. Then whip around and get your rider. I can do it now in like 15 seconds or so. Little tips like these make a huge difference in things like safety on a busy lake. Another good tip is to stand the board straight up while waiting so other boats can see you easier.
I started doing this recently as well, it’s much better than jumping the wave when turning around.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I started doing this recently as well, it’s much better than jumping the wave when turning around.
Well, if you are making good size wake you probably don't want to take it in the back, in our Yammies.
(at least you won't get swamped hitting it head on, unlike many wake boats :p)

I tend to just slow down and then turn around quickly. :cigar:

--

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, if you are making good size wake you probably don't want to take it in the back, in our Yammies.

--
Haha True, i usually don’t go in reverse just slow down and turn as the wave is passing and it’s very minimal if any jolting. Usually the water does comes over the Second level on the swim deck.

I also have fishing rod holders on the swim deck cup holders, the drain hose didn’t work so it dumps in the bilge, so usually have to run that after a couple hard stops.

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length

--
yeah waiting or slowing down and turning around just swaps the bow. Even with our massive freeboard. Those waves are massive lol. Reverse is a 1000 times easier and faster. But that's the key getting your rider as fast as possible. Especially at our lake lol.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I spent some time today playing with the ballast, the wedge, ballast timers, trim tabs, various list and speed conditions etc. Fun times.
Want to share some observations
(Gantlin transom bag and center locker bag, both full, no other ballast, one person [me] in the boat, half a tank of fuel).
--
Swatski, how much is full in your center locker? 750, 1100?

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Swatski, how much is full in your center locker? 750, 1100?
The bag is 800 lbs, it’s a long bag, not sure how much constrained it is by the sides of the locker, it fills it up.

Newmaniak

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I use the same technique on both Axis and Yamaha. When the rider goes down, turn sharp to the surf side and then go to neutral. The wave will gently turn the boat back thru the wave to the direction of the surfer. This technique will prevent swamping the front or the back deck. Not only is this the smoothest way to turn around but also the most fuel efficient! Just my 2 cents

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
That doesn't work with the Makai. The waves it creates are massive and you take water in the bow and all over the windshield if you try that. I used that same idea with my yamaha. When I did it with the Makai it simply didn't work well. Had my buddy out who has a Pavati and another with a Max and they showed me the reverse method. But hey if it's working for you don't change a thing.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Agree it is up to us to be respectful to property and shorelines. It pisses me off when I see someone surfing when there are docks close by. Then again some lakes are small and often crowded with homes sprinkled all along the shoreline so what can they really do at that point besides go to another lake which is not ideal so there needs to be a balance. The biggest issues on the lakes we boat on aren't really wake boats. It's the pontoons and bass boats I seem to have the most issue with. I've seen more idiots driving a pontoon completely oblivious to their surroundings and just meander around like nobody else is on the water or around them. They will cut you off with no warning. They'll ride your ass because you break the waters ahead of them. They are usually filled with drunk people and about 3 Yeti coolers full to the brim. The bass boat owners also are often a pain in my ass. They fly around the lake doing well over 70 mph while cutting corners around blind bends like they're trying to find an apex on a race track. God forbid you just happen to want to use a piece of nice calm water for watersports yet they are tucked near the bank and they literally think they own the water. Jet skis also follow us like a fly on a horses ass. When they get close and keep jumping my wake I will just stop and give them a look. Most times they leave but sometimes they keep coming back and will circle around the boat as we are going down the lake. Just stupid behavior. Seen plenty of wake boats doing stupid shit too like surfing way too close to the shore or my personal pet peeve, surfing in the cove everyone is hanging out in. Everyone needs to do their part to try and be respectful to others in the water, especially those that live on the lakes.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Testing the new Slingshot Coaster, it's awesome

--

B0at1n

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Went out for some surfing today.

18 AR240, Wake booster, 500lbs on the Deck, 500lbs on the Surf Side seat.

we were set up goofy at first so decided to try the "Backwards" way and was able to do it.

Then messing around Regular

For those of you the like good wipe outs. had to circle back into our wake.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Arcadyus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
This was 7 people on board and 600 lbs of lead. That curl was outrageous. It was really barreling. This was her first time ever surfing. My sister who has lived in Australia last 5 years. F29E1D4D-B008-4856-AE56-3EE49093533E.jpeg