• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Reminder of the Thrust Vector and Lateral Thruster group buy through JetBoatPilot.....you only have Until AUGUST 31st. to get in on this group buy.
    With a Maximum discount of 35% this is the highest discount you can get on these, so don't miss out!
    So if you are looking to improve your steering-either forwards or in reverse.....this sale may be for you!  

Thank you Will @jetboatpilot for offering this exclusively to JETBOATERS.net members!

(You can click the X to the right to dismiss this notice)

SOLVED: 2021 AR250 - pulling to the right - please help!

MUNIK FL

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
2021 AR250

The boat experiences a constant pull to the right, requiring a constant steering unplug to the left (firm pressure to at least 90 degrees to get it to go straight. Alternatively, I can reduce power on the port side (mismatch RPMs) to match the amount of thrust between them. This is not a waves/current/wind issue. (Video here: July 16, 2022).

I’ve squared up the nozzles and rudder. Buckets/gates work correctly. Inspection ports are clear, shafts look the same.

There appears to be a slight vibration/metal ringing sound out of the starboard jet. (Video here:
)

To me, this means the starboard jet is not functioning properly.

I’ve scoped both nozzles, impellers, and impeller housings and could not find damage to anything.

Is there anything else a mechanically inclined person can do, or is it time to get a professional involved to diagnose and repair?

This is interesting. You've already done what I can think of. I didn't notice the metal ringing sound any different than mine but a vibration could certainly be something. Hopefully someone can help.

I took the thrustvectors off and it seemed to help, but it was only a quick ride after the sun went down. I’ll try again tomorrow.

As we have discussed on a Facebook page If you want a steering system with the most features and benefits available, also with the patented second tie rod that can be set to keep your boat tracking straight get with me. No plastic parts & 20 years of experience even maintain control with no thrust or when turning and rapidly decelerating and faster hole shot a smoother ride in chop and adjustments so you set it to your preference, and more!

Last edited:
How many hours do you have on it ?
Did it just start doing this or was it after any changes on the boat?

Did you disconnect the tie rod, and steering cables from each side and try manually turning the buckets in either direction? If you have something binding that "should" let you feel it.
The starboard does sound different so hopefully it isnt something with the shafts or bearings on that side.

The boat has almost 60 hours on it. The dealership installed the thrust vectors prior to delivery.

I thought the port motor was the one that sounded bad! ?

buckets are smooth and clear the nozzle.With the steering cables disconnected, everything is smooth.

SOLVED!

Pretty much everyone I asked said the motors sound fine. Plus I scoped the impellers and their housings and everything looked fine.

So I decided to take the dealer installed thrust vectors off to take that out of the equation.

Of course the OEM bucket hinge hardware is long gone so I made a trip to ACE hardware to find M8x1.25 replacements!

Test drive went great with a slight right pull bias. I turned the port impeller in about 2 full turns on the turnbuckle (that also put the rudder a little to the left of center) and now it’s very close.

With the thrust vectors off I gained 4 mph top speed and the thing handles like a dream.

I’m not sure if one or both were damaged or installed improperly, but for now, I’m not going back.

Thank you all for your help!

Last edited:
SOLVED!

Pretty much everyone I asked said the motors sound fine. Plus I scoped the impellers and their housings and everything looked fine.

So I decided to take the dealer installed thrust vectors off to take that out of the equation.

Of course the OEM bucket hinge hardware is long gone so I made a trip to ACE hardware to find M8x1.25 replacements!

Test drive went great with a slight right pull bias. I tuned the port impeller in about 2 full turns on the turnbuckle (that also put the rudder a little to the left of center) and now it’s very close.

With the thrust vectors off I gained 4 mph top speed and the thing handles like a dream.

I’m not sure if one or both were damaged or installed improperly, but for now, I’m not going back.

Thank you all for your help!

Good to hear its handling good now. Im curious, what do you mean you "..tuned the port impeller in about 2 full turns.."
Its unfortunate but it sounds like the dealer installed them incorrectly if you are now straighter and gained speed. The TV's were one of the first things I did on my boat and I have not felt any negative effects. On the contrary, prior to the TV/LT's on my boat my wife was intimidated with driving the boat at slow speeds. After the install , she has no issues at all.

Both products offer a great feature but can turn into negative experiences if not installed correctly.

You will also need to reinstall the stainless collars that the reverse buckets pivot on the part number is 90387-08m30-00 there are usually 2 in a package and you will need one package for each reverse bucket. F Y I my steering does not have that issue. I bet the water spray is also reduced behind the boat and probably the high speed resistance in the helm is also reduced. 1658091804132.jpeg

Good to hear its handling good now. Im curious, what do you mean you "..tuned the port impeller in about 2 full turns.."
Its unfortunate but it sounds like the dealer installed them incorrectly if you are now straighter and gained speed. The TV's were one of the first things I did on my boat and I have not felt any negative effects. On the contrary, prior to the TV/LT's on my boat my wife was intimidated with driving the boat at slow speeds. After the install , she has no issues at all.

Both products offer a great feature but can turn into negative experiences if not installed correctly.

I meant “turned”. I fixed it in the post.

basically I gave it a slight bias to the left.

You will also need to reinstall the stainless collars that the reverse buckets pivot on the part number is 90387-08m30-00 there are usually 2 in a package and you will need one package for each reverse bucket. F Y I my steering does not have that issue. I bet the water spray is also reduced behind the boat and probably the high speed resistance in the helm is also reduced. View attachment 182922
You are not wrong! I actually cut down the TV spacers to match OEM spec so now I have bolts with spacers and a fender washer instead of the nice OEM bolt stack.

Water spray is reduced with the TV removed.

How does the CobraJet work with ballast bags?

Works just fine totally different setup than what you had but really you need those collars if you go bitch out the dealer that put those on your boat they will usually give you the collars at no charge.

Works just fine totally different setup than what you had but really you need those collars if you go bitch out the dealer that put those on your boat they will usually give you the collars at no charge.
Lol! I will do that Monday! I just wanted a proof of concept first!

Haa I Understand , works good with wake making devices like wake wedge and the like as well as both at the same time.

Back