• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Please Help Point Me in the right direction NMEA 2000 to Yamaha Bus info...

amanphoto

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Please Help Point Me in the right direction. I have a 2013 Yamaha AP240 jet boat. It has information on the digital portion of the gauges for depth, time, ect. I would like to get that information from the Yamaha bus system to the NMEA 2000 network so I can be displayed on the larger screen of my Chart Plotter. Is there a preexisting cable that will tap into boats info and transfer it to NMEA?

Lowrance Makes a Engine interface cable to NMEA, but I don't know if that will work for this boat?

Thanks for your help.

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
There are many threads for people wanting to do this on this fourm but no one has gottent it to work from what I have seen.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
There was ONE person I've found on the forums/FB groups that claimed to have this figured out. He had to convert the signal and was only able to do basic things like speed.

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
There was ONE person I've found on the forums/FB groups that claimed to have this figured out. He had to convert the signal and was only able to do basic things like speed.
I think water temp too but no engine data

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I researched on this before It's $150 for the conversion and most of it look homemade. I want to convert my VHF radio signal via wire to NMEA so that if someone is in distress it will show up in my Garmin. Maybe one day.

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I researched on this before It's $150 for the conversion and most of it look homemade. I want to convert my VHF radio signal via wire to NMEA so that if someone is in distress it will show up in my Garmin. Maybe one day.
You should be able to add your VHF and Garmin to NMEA with out having the engine data. I did my Standard Horizon VHF to my Go9 this year. I just needed the Backbone starter kit.

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
You should be able to add your VHF and Garmin to NMEA with out having the engine data. I did my Standard Horizon VHF to my Go9 this year. I just needed the Backbone starter kit.
Can you tell me which one you purchased (backbone starter kit) and how do you like it?

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Can you tell me which one you purchased (backbone starter kit) and how do you like it?
I got this one on Amazon, Amazon.com : Ancor Marine Grade Products NMEA 2000 Dual Device Starter Kit, Medium : Sports & Outdoors Install was super easy, just screw the connectors to together and connecto to power source. I have had about 6 months now, I have had no issues with it. It took about an hour to research the settings on the VHF and ChartPlotter to get them commiunicating.

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I got this one on Amazon, Amazon.com : Ancor Marine Grade Products NMEA 2000 Dual Device Starter Kit, Medium : Sports & Outdoors Install was super easy, just screw the connectors to together and connecto to power source. I have had about 6 months now, I have had no issues with it. It took about an hour to research the settings on the VHF and ChartPlotter to get them commiunicating.
I think we have different standard horizon radio mine have different signal that I need to convert to NMEA 2000 but I will check when I get home. Thanks

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@Mainah has spent some serious time delving into the proprietary yamaha canbus data....I'm don't recall what he ended up deciding, but if memory serves me correctly, he decided it as a PITA and left it alone.

lazergeek

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I think we have different standard horizon radio mine have different signal that I need to convert to NMEA 2000 but I will check when I get home. Thanks
Mine had the NMEA 2000, and NMEA 0183 built in, just had to connect the NMEA 2000 cable to it and configure, You may only have the NMEA 0183. If so your Garmin may also have NMEA 0183, otherwise you will need a NMEA 0183 to NMEA 2000 converter.

amanphoto

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thanks for the help. I'm looking more for the depth information off the gauges to help with the chart information. It should be fairly straight forward, buy Yamaha doesn't want us to have the info.