• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Some water getting in Resolved

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There was another thread on here that discussed water getting in through the clean out hatch. My last outing I did have some get in. This morning I have some Marking dye, not stainable and I put water in different areas of the swim platform, cup holders, clean out tube and top of the cover under the clean out hatch. What I have confirmed, as was indicated in the other thread which I can't find, that water does in fact seep through. This is the large cover that has the two clean out plugs in it. I was going to pull it up and put in a gasket, but once I realized it is pretty set in there with the clean out tubes and that I may cause another issue. I decided to use a Marine Grade silicone sealant around the whole thing. I used clear. I sure didn't want to use 5200, so I decided to try the Marine silicone. It is above the water line of course and it only gets water randomly based on either a wave or people getting out of the water. I can verify with the dye now that it is sealed and all the water under the hatch goes into the tubes or into the 1 inch drain as intended. Picture to follow.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
20200628_115727.jpg

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Took the boat out to Lake St. Clair and the Detroit river and was getting pounded with 3-4 foot rollers also water washing over swim deck. When we returned to the launch when I unscrewed the keel plug nothing came out. So it looks like it is good now. Hopefully it helps someone else.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yup, I did the same thing. Except I took the hatch completely out, sealed the tubes, sealed all around the hatch and screw holes and then ran a bead around the edge just to be sure with loctite marine sealant. Not a drop gets in there now. Now when I take it out barely anything comes out.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I didn't want to screw with the tubes. Heading out on vacation in two days, and i broke something or something got messed up I would be in a jam. If it starts leaking again I will check the tubes with water dye and if so I will pull the whole thing and do what you did.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I didn't want to screw with the tubes. Heading out on vacation in two days, and i broke something or something got messed up I would be in a jam. If it starts leaking again I will check the tubes with water dye and if so I will pull the whole thing and do what you did.
I'm intimately familiar with the tube setup. I did the exact same thing on my old boat as I was chasing a water leak on that one, so I knew what I was getting into and how to pull it apart. That boat it ended up being the stainless steel scupper was installed wrong. It's really very basic once you figure it out. Not much you can really mess up there.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
@HangOutdoors I noticed a bit getting into the hull at the same place, not the removable hatch but around the larger screwed in piece at the top toward the bow. The deck is not flat there, and the screwed down board doesn't make full contact. I'll be adding clear silicone around there to fix it up. That appears to be the only leak area on our boat.

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I took the screws off the piece under the hatch to remove it but it wouldn’t budge. Looks like it was glued in there. Any idea if more persuasion force will take out or something else? I need to remove it and apply a bead of silicone underneath it because it’s not sitting flat in some areas and water is seeping in from there?

BeauSko

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There was another thread on here that discussed water getting in through the clean out hatch. My last outing I did have some get in. This morning I have some Marking dye, not stainable and I put water in different areas of the swim platform, cup holders, clean out tube and top of the cover under the clean out hatch. What I have confirmed, as was indicated in the other thread which I can't find, that water does in fact seep through. This is the large cover that has the two clean out plugs in it. I was going to pull it up and put in a gasket, but once I realized it is pretty set in there with the clean out tubes and that I may cause another issue. I decided to use a Marine Grade silicone sealant around the whole thing. I used clear. I sure didn't want to use 5200, so I decided to try the Marine silicone. It is above the water line of course and it only gets water randomly based on either a wave or people getting out of the water. I can verify with the dye now that it is sealed and all the water under the hatch goes into the tubes or into the 1 inch drain as intended. Picture to follow.
I can’t tell from the pic where u put the sealant. Is it where the hatch makes contact with the boat once the hatch is closed?

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I took the screws off the piece under the hatch to remove it but it wouldn’t budge. Looks like it was glued in there. Any idea if more persuasion force will take out or something else? I need to remove it and apply a bead of silicone underneath it because it’s not sitting flat in some areas and water is seeping in from there?
Check to make sure you removed the hose from the white plastic drain and the tophose clamps from the clean out port tubes.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Check to make sure you removed the hose from the white plastic drain and the tophose clamps from the clean out port tubes.
YUP, this! Then it just takes a little bit of pulling and it will come up. I found one side came up easier than the others, then just kinda worked it out.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The yellow all the way around in the picture. I put a good bead of Marine Silicone and then smoothed it down with my figure, like how you do caulking. I didn't lift it up or remove the screws. That way I had a bigger bead. Used clear. And I can go further down the road if I wish, but just cutting the bead with a butter knife or putty knife.. Didn't really want to pull the whole thing up. The Marine silicone drys really nice. Additionally, since it is built up a bit in the crevice the dirt and stuff is easily washed out with just a quick spray.

20200628_115727.jpg

Last edited:

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I haven’t tried it yet. The boat goes back to storage during the week and gets picked up on the weekend. It’s not under my immediate reach since it doesn’t fit under my 8’ garage door (another project that needs to be tackled at some point). So I’ll have to wait till next weekend.

Which brand marine silicone you guys use or recommend?

I didn’t know the clean out tubes are connected to tray holes with clamps if I understand you correctly? I thought the tray sits on top the tubes by way of compression since it’s screwed in all the way around. I have to look closer next time.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
The top piece has tubes that stick down a couple inches inside the clean out ports and have hose clamps on them. Don't go hog tightening those clamps up if you take them off as it'll make it hard to get the clean out plugs back in. I seal those up too. It'll make more sense once you get it apart. I use loctite marine adhesive you can find at home depot.

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The top piece has tubes that stick down a couple inches inside the clean out ports and have hose clamps on them. Don't go hog tightening those clamps up if you take them off as it'll make it hard to get the clean out plugs back in. I seal those up too. It'll make more sense once you get it apart. I use loctite marine adhesive you can find at home depot.
Well, I must reconsider my approach to this project. Perhaps I’ll just do what @HangOutdoors did, just seal around.
The issue is I have one section that is bowed out quite a bit and the gap is huge. Maybe I’ll just have to layer it a few times to build it up. I want to seal the darn thing but I don’t want this to turn into more headache.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Well, I must reconsider my approach to this project. Perhaps I’ll just do what @HangOutdoors did, just seal around.
The issue is I have one section that is bowed out quite a bit and the gap is huge. Maybe I’ll just have to layer it a few times to build it up. I want to seal the darn thing but I don’t want this to turn into more headache.
It could be your hatch is not flush because something underneath is preventing it. You can lift off the center, removable lid and take a look. You'll see how the tubes have a clamp and how the lip of the holes in the tray are seated inside the tubes. It could be that your hose clamps are tightened around the tube below the lip, which will not allow the lip to go further into the tube as needed. I would suggest loosening the hose clamps and try pushing the tray down further. If it goes down, then be sure to secure the clamp at the lip, where the tube and lip join together. Not below it. This can all be done through the lift out tray. Tighten up all the hatch screws afterwards.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Either way it should be caulked or sealed. Poor design on Yamaha's part. Those components against each other could always have a bit of separation in the heat that deck receives.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Thanks for testing this - it's on my list to do!

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Which brand marine silicone you guys use or recommend?
I just use white bathroom sealant on that access hatch. No real pressure so I don't think you need expensive sealant. Holds well and comes off easily when you need to get into that area for repairs