• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sotally Tober 5's Completed Build (Pic Heavy)

Sotally Tober

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I really can't see any pros. I back into sandbars and all the time and have never had an issue with the keel. The TVs hang stupid low so I can see that being an issue, but I stick with CJs and don't have that issue lol.
"I back into sandbars and all the time and have never had an issue with the keel."
- I have personally witnessed damage to the Articulating Keel from backing into a sand bar. My buddies AK was damaged when the wakes of boats passing my caused the 242 to violently bob up and down and in turn slammed the stern at angle to cause the damage.

"The TVs hang stupid low so I can see that being an issue,"
- It is an issue. That's why I install the hooking points keep them raised while backed in the Sand Bar (see pic below). Another option is to manually raise them then shove a noodle into the jet nozzles. I have personally had to replace a Thrust Vector on my old 2013 212SS due to damage it took from backing in, again from wakes of passing by boats causing the stern to slam down. I suspect this is the reason that Jet Boat Pilot designed the "Kick Stand" into their redesigned model.

"but I stick with CJs and don't have that issue lol
- Be careful.... like the Thrust Vector Damage, I have also had a bent Cobra Fin on my 2007 AR210, once again caused by wakes of passing by boats.

"I really can't see any pros."
- I cant really see any cons to the removal in my own situation. The first four Yamaha's I've owned did not have an articulating keel and was able to pilot them like a champ. So for me personally, removing the AK was a no brainer.

40.jpeg

Sotally Tober

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length

Sotally Tober

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
How did you go about sealing up your anchor locker drain? That looks like caulk, or something else?
3m 5200. Just plugged the entire hole.

Sotally Tober

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Trim tabs are flush with the bottom and would not hinder backing up to sandbars. I do it all the time. They would help with getting on plane and balancing side to side weight distribution.

Would live to hear how she sounds...
Good to know. How much did they run you?

Sotally Tober

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Sotally Tober Have I missed the field testing documentation on the custom swim platform attachment, or were those results taken down due to privacy concerns?!?!!

:D :D
They were posted briefly but my better half gave me poop (<---- He called the shit poop!).

Seeing as how past Holiday weekends have gone, I fully expect some action pics of girls that are not my wife or her friends. So I will definitely share those.

I don't think my wife realized I was posting all the pictures I did over the last 12 years or so....

Sotally Tober

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Beautiful install. Tell me more about those sand spikes - do they stay close the boat when you put them in or are they for non-water use only?

Also, your cover for the old radio dim area - hope you're putting some LEDs behind that plate to back light it up!
This video will explain everything in regards to the shore spike:

If you beach your boat I would highly recommend getting one and pairing it with one of their "Danik Hooks." This is the same company that makes the box anchor.

"Also, your cover for the old radio dim area - hope you're putting some LEDs behind that plate to back light it up!"
- Great idea! I might have to look into this.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I am not sure how you are damaging so much. Do you park on rocks? The keel does not sit any deeper than the hull. Height at a sandbar doesn't change that much in a matter of 8" inches. If you are damaging that, you are probably damaging the boat. In either case, park in a few inches of more of water and problem solved.

Sotally Tober

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I am not sure how you are damaging so much. Do you park on rocks? The keel does not sit any deeper than the hull. Height at a sandbar doesn't change that much in a matter of 8" inches. If you are damaging that, you are probably damaging the boat. In either case, park in a few inches of more of water and problem solved.
I understand that keel does not sit any deeper than the hull. The problem comes from the angle the stern gets bounce on. When the strong wakes hit the boat the boat will bounce and land on the articulating keel first as opposed to the bottom of the boat. While it doesn't happen often it is an issue and that's why I've take steps to mitigate it. I haven't had any damage to the boat but I have had damage to the aftermarket parts that I've bolted on.

As I'm sure you know every water way is different. The Sand Bars I frequent in Arizona are going to be different than the ones that are out in Florida.
We are on a small thin stretch of the Colorado river. Performance Boats regularly go by our boat at WOT causing these issues.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I understand that keel does not sit any deeper than the hull. The problem comes from the angle the stern gets bounce on. When the strong wakes hit the boat the boat will bounce and land on the articulating keel first as opposed to the bottom of the boat. While it doesn't happen often it is an issue and that's why I've take steps to mitigate it. I haven't had any damage to the boat but I have had damage to the aftermarket parts that I've bolted on.

As I'm sure you know every water way is different. The Sand Bars I frequent in Arizona are going to be different than the ones that are out in Florida.
We are on a small thin stretch of the Colorado river. Performance Boats regularly go by our boat at WOT causing these issues.
That would piss me off. If anyone flys by our sandbars, they are usually followed by a Sheriff shortly after.

Sotally Tober

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
That would piss me off. If anyone flys by our sandbars, they are usually followed by a Sheriff shortly after.
It's the world we live in on the Lower Colorado. It's hard to avoid and the reason it was a no brainer to remove it.

Here is a pic to give you an idea:
e4affc127e485d10f5988470f2b1af9f.jpg

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Good to know. How much did they run you?
I paid #669 for mine. I got the Bennett M120 Trim Tabs w/EIC. EIC is nice as it displays/indicates what position they're in. And, you can hook them up so when you turn off the boat they'll fully retract. Nice... :thumbsup:

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Which sandbars you referring too?

rad1026

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Where do you boat Sotally? Where is that above pic? When will I see you in Havasu?

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Awesome all the way around. Those pro volt chargers are nice. I have discovered temperature compensation chargers are a must for hot climates and AGM. Nocos newest also have that now but those pro volts appear to be a step above. Those buses are sweet too. You may need a stay back 500 feet sticker given the audio system 👍

Sotally Tober

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Awesome all the way around. Those pro volt chargers are nice. I have discovered temperature compensation chargers are a must for hot climates and AGM. Nocos newest also have that now but those pro volts appear to be a step above. Those buses are sweet too. You may need a stay back 500 feet sticker given the audio system 👍
Agreed on the chargers. I've been a loyal customer of Pro Charging Systems (Pro Charging Systems) for over 15 years on 4 different boat builds. They truly are a step above the rest but you pay for it. Temperature compensation is a must considering the temperature can reach 110-120 where we boat.

Sotally Tober

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Where do you boat Sotally? Where is that above pic? When will I see you in Havasu?
That pic was take on the southern most stretch of the Colorado commonly referred to as Martinez Lake. It's 20-30 miles north of Yuma, AZ. Basically, it's San Diego's Lake Havasu (only 2 hours 45 minutes away) without all the L.A. Bling. This is our normal boating area; however, we will be at Havasu for 4th of July or Labor Day (maybe both). We were most recently at Havasu in October of last year staying at Pirates Cove.

We will be at Martinez Lake almost the whole month of March, a few times in April/May and over Memorial Day weekend.

Just in case you've never heard of Martinez I've included a map to give you an idea.

Screen Shot 2021-02-23 at 16.23.15.png