• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Speaker/Amp Recommendations

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Here’s a good deal on Wet Sounds Revo 6s for $350 a pair
That sounds like a good deal...WS sells them for about $500 a pair?
as far as amps you cant beat NVX amps from sonic electronics for the price.
Actually NVX is just like Rockville (probably same chinese factory) with over-rated output claims, so you can expect about half the output from them. They'll work just fine, but don't expect to actually get the numbers they're suggesting.
Make sure to get OFC wiring for your system and not some cheap CCA from Amazon.
CCA has more resistance, so copper is better for signal transfer. But OFC wire is a marketing gimmick to sell at higher prices...it does nothing to increase performance or power transfer - regular copper and OFC perform the same. OFC was created for those with clear jackets so you could see your copper wire was still "shiny", but outside the jacket at the connectors OFC will still tarnish just like regular copper even if you can't see it. It doesn't affect performance at all though, but it doesn't look "pretty". As far as electron flow is conerned, it's all the same - there's no magic here. The only reason stranded copper wire was chosen for speakers is that it's more flexible over solid copper wires. If I was wiring up a speaker system inside house walls, I'd use regular 12/2 electrical wire to the boxes - works great, easy to pull, meets in-wall code, and is typically cheaper than basic copper "speaker wire". Outside the wall, I'd run basic copper speaker wire to the actual speaker locations.

If you have an issue with corrosion in a saltwater environment, you might want to buy tinned copper speaker wire. Beyond that, just buy regular copper speaker wire at Home Depot or wherever it's sold at a reasonable price.
:)

KCAR250

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That sounds like a good deal...WS sells them for about $500 a pair?

Actually NVX is just like Rockville (probably same chinese factory) with over-rated output claims, so you can expect about half the output from them. They'll work just fine, but don't expect to actually get the numbers they're suggesting.

CCA has more resistance, so copper is better for signal transfer. But OFC wire is a marketing gimmick to sell at higher prices...it does nothing to increase performance or power transfer - regular copper and OFC perform the same. OFC was created for those with clear jackets so you could see your copper wire was still "shiny", but outside the jacket at the connectors OFC will still tarnish just like regular copper even if you can't see it. It doesn't affect performance at all though, but it doesn't look "pretty". As far as electron flow is conerned, it's all the same - there's no magic here. The only reason stranded copper wire was chosen for speakers is that it's more flexible over solid copper wires. If I was wiring up a speaker system inside house walls, I'd use regular 12/2 electrical wire to the boxes - works great, easy to pull, meets in-wall code, and is typically cheaper than basic copper "speaker wire". Outside the wall, I'd run basic copper speaker wire to the actual speaker locations.

If you have an issue with corrosion in a saltwater environment, you might want to buy tinned copper speaker wire. Beyond that, just buy regular copper speaker wire at Home Depot or wherever it's sold at a reasonable price.
:)
NVX has been dyno tested by several independent testers to show they produce 100% of what they advertise. 50% is just not true.

CCA isn’t copper! It’s aluminum with copper coating! OFC is pure copper. I completely disagree with it just being a marketing gimmick.

ellj

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Danielmailin

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Is this a decent mid range amp?

Rockville RXM8BTW 1500w Peak/750w Dyno-Certified RMS Marine 8 Channel Digital Class D Power Amplifier with Bluetooth Wireless Integration

Going to pair it with

Fusion Entertainment MS-RA70 Marine Entertainment System with Bluetooth

Here is my experience in saltwater environment:
I bought this amp about 3 years ago, within 2 years one channel stopped working, and by the 3rd year all all outside connectors were corroded.
Sound wise, it was not bad, not the greatest.
You get what you pay for but don't expect to last more then 3 years.
I replaced it a Fusion Signature Series 5 channel.
Great amp, great sound, made for saltwater environment.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
NVX has been dyno tested by several independent testers to show they produce 100% of what they advertise. 50% is just not true.
Sorry I was thinking of another brand...so I went and watched a few dyno tests and what I've seen is that some of them fall short of their claims on RMS and some exceed. But nowhere near their peak claims which is usually double the RMS rating. Tests show their dynamic power is just above their actual RMS output. So yeah, they perform ok. My biggest concern is the mediocre construction and shortcuts they use. I wouldn't expect them to last in a saltwater environment.
CCA isn’t copper! It’s aluminum with copper coating!
Yes it is...that's why I mentioned the resistance. If you up the size you can overcome the resistance and get equal performance to copper. But since they're priced about the same for the same level of performance, might as well use copper. But there's nothing inherently wrong with CCA.
OFC is pure copper. I completely disagree with it just being a marketing gimmick.
Google OFC and gimmick and you'll find blind tests show no difference. It's a way to charge more money for nothing. It's like the BS marketing of companies like Monster Cables...$5 cables for $50 because the packaging is "awesome". They don't work any better than decent quality cables from Home Depot or Best Buy.
Here is my experience in saltwater environment:
I bought this amp about 3 years ago, within 2 years one channel stopped working, and by the 3rd year all all outside connectors were corroded.
Exactly what I mentioned above. Marine quality varies and the good stuff lasts longer because it's made better, but it costs more to get the good stuff.
Knukonceptz is a good place to buy power wire.
Their prices seem reasonable. But they need to update their website to secure connections (HTTPS).[/QUOTE]

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Is this a decent mid range amp?
Rockville RXM8BTW 1500w Peak/750w Dyno-Certified RMS Marine 8 Channel Digital Class D Power Amplifier with Bluetooth Wireless Integration
Going to pair it with
Fusion Entertainment MS-RA70 Marine Entertainment System with Bluetooth
It should work fine...but perhaps it depends on what speakers you will be using?

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
In my last boat, I originally used CCA 1/0 gauge thinking that since everything was high and dry, I could get away with it. One day the music just stopped. I got home and started to trace everything and here is what I found. Mind you, this was in the underseat compartment where the batteries were. No contact with water at all. Just good ole salt air. Needless to say, I ordered OFC to replace and have never touched CCA since. 20150713_183249.jpg

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
In my last boat, I originally used CCA 1/0 gauge thinking that since everything was high and dry, I could get away with it. One day the music just stopped. I got home and started to trace everything and here is what I found. Mind you, this was in the underseat compartment where the batteries were. No contact with water at all. Just good ole salt air. Needless to say, I ordered OFC to replace and have never touched CCA since.
That looks like galvanic corrosion from dissimilar metals - the stainless steel and aluminum reacting. That's why tinned copper is the best for salty environments - it resists galvanic effects and has the same conductivity as copper.

ellj

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It should work fine...but perhaps it depends on what speakers you will be using?
Kicker 41km604w. Four of them (for now)

KCAR250

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That looks like galvanic corrosion from dissimilar metals - the stainless steel and aluminum reacting. That's why tinned copper is the best for salty environments - it resists galvanic effects and has the same conductivity as copper.
But I thought it was just a gimmick?

KCAR250

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Tinned copper is corrosion resistant.
Right, but when I suggested pure copper over CCA you stated it was just a gimmick. So I’m confused?

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Right, but when I suggested pure copper over CCA you stated it was just a gimmick. So I’m confused?
You mis-read my comments. OFC is a gimmick. CCA works fine but it doesn't really cost less than properly sized copper so might as well use copper.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
You mis-read my comments. OFC is a gimmick. CCA works fine but it doesn't really cost less than properly sized copper so might as well use copper.
OFC in salt will last much longer than CCA. Also any decent wire is already OFC. I would spend more money for a nice flexible and easy to work with power wire.

You have a lot of comments that mix your home audio knowledge and 12v knowledge and it isn't just apples to apples, and seems to create some confusion/mis-information on here. OFC for better sound quality is a gimmick (in general). Also this applies for speaker/signal wire not power. As with most cables in home theater, they are mostly hype with not much benefit. Back in my sales days, it was an easy sale to a $300 AudioQuest HDMI for that $5000 TV. I ran testing in my down time and could not see or hear any difference to a similarly rated $20 cable.