• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Spider Cracks - Big Deal?

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I’m potentially going to buy a used 2016 Yamaha 242 Limited SE. Overall condition is good inside and out, but there are some spider cracks around one side of the stern grab handle (other side is fine). Is this a big problem, little problem, or no problem? Thanks.IMG_8012.jpegIMG_8013.jpegIMG_8009.pngIMG_8008.png

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I never had that happen. I am thinking they must have used it to tow a tube or something. Curious what the fiberglass experts say. I have has some some spider cracks but not that big. I would think if the handle is still in place and doesn't move it is not a big problem and could be fixed but you would want to make sure the handle is secure. Just my thoughts and there are lots of very informed fiberglass people on this forum.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I don't think it is a major issue. This is a pretty cheap repair anyways I'd say less than $500. I'd use it to negotiate a $1000 off.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That doesn't look like simple spider cracks. Looks like either handle was loose for a while or as @rkluck said something was towed from it
Agreed.
Question is what to do? Leave it? Fix it? Not buy the boat? Thoughts?

Joshua Miller

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252XE
Boat Length
If that's the only issue and the boat is otherwise in good working order, I would not let that hold up the sale. That handle is for pulling yourself up onto the swim platform so as long as it's secure it's still functional. Just don't tow from it or use it to secure ballast bags.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Agreed.
Question is what to do? Leave it? Fix it? Not buy the boat? Thoughts?
It needs to be fixed or it will get worse. Figure that into price, get estimate to fix and go from there. If the seller is against this then its up to you but i would walk if they are not willing to work with you

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Before any gelcoat repair, pull the cleanout hatch and look at the condition of the frp, fiberglass structure for cracks on the inside at that handle mounting point. Any backing plate there should be reinforced before the cracks are ground out and repaired. The handle looks like it moved up and down. The sealing of the glass edges with epoxy/resin. at the thru hull will be needed to stop water ingress to the worn out raw fiberglass thru hull (hole) as well as rebedding with a real marine sealant, not silicone.

Last edited:

David Martin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Vary large person used it as a step to climb in boat. Fix is a pain....... labor wise .........its all the sanding buffing a much larger area.....ask for discount of several hundred dollars. Dealer would touch it at around 500 green backs and up..

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Before any gelcoat repair, pull the cleanout hatch and look at the condition of the frp, fiberglass structure for cracks on the inside at that handle mounting point. Any backing plate there should be reinforced before the cracks are ground out and repaired. The handle looks like it moved up and down. The sealing of the glass edges with epoxy/resin. at the thru hull will be needed to stop water ingress to the worn out raw fiberglass thru hull (hole) as well as rebedding with a real marine sealant, not silicone.
Appreciate the advice in not putting a bandaid on it as real problems can follow. Starting to think this boat isn’t worth the trouble with this issue.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I would bet they towed another boat from there. Could be structural. Would definately get a reputable shop to look at it and price it out and figure that into the price.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Vary large person used it as a step to climb in boat. Fix is a pain....... labor wise .........its all the sanding buffing a much larger area.....ask for discount of several hundred dollars. Dealer would touch it at around 500 green backs and up..
I would doubt that is the case.

flyingnugget

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Something’s not right there.. but to trash the sale over it is a bit of a reach IMHO. Pics you show looks like the boat is in great condition. I would talk to the owner and get them to come off the price a little. If the hours are good, engines look good, other inspections look nice then go for it. Honestly, I can’t remember the last time I used that handle on my previous boat.

Good luck.

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Something’s not right there.. but to trash the sale over it is a bit of a reach IMHO. Pics you show looks like the boat is in great condition. I would talk to the owner and get them to come off the price a little. If the hours are good, engines look good, other inspections look nice then go for it. Honestly, I can’t remember the last time I used that handle on my previous boat.

Good luck.
I haven't yet asked the seller the cause of the spider cracks - natural, stepped on, towed person, towed boat? Nevertheless, the rest of the boat is in good shape. I just don't want a small problem to become a big, expensive one (structural, water ingress, etc).

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Good luck.
Hard to understand how the cracks are only around one side of the handle but not the other. For reference, here are the other photos and price ($50K) for the boat. The seller is going to have it serviced at the local Yamaha dealer and replace all trailer tires. Log into Facebook

Attachments

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It may be a good deal and a solid boat. All I am saying, is have someone whom can look at the cracks and tell you how much to fix. Do your diligence, if you don't that is your call. Without it being fully looked at all you get is opinions of what it could be. It may be nothing to worry about. It may be more than that. It may be something you can repair yourself if you are handy.

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
When it is serviced at the dealer ask the owner to provide a written statement on the spider cracks from the dealer. You don't care about the cause but you do want to make sure you understand the cost to repair it and what is repaired. Then you can decide what to do. Even if you don't get the boat the owner will now have something to show the next potential buyer.