• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

SportJet 120XR2 pulling left

X-17

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The jet sits in a Hydrolift X-17. At low speed it goes straight ahead with steering wheel in straight ahead position. With increasing speed it pulls more to the left and at full speed I have to give it half a turn to the right on the wheel to go straight ahead.

As far as I can see without measuring the installation sits dead centre in the boat. The design of the boat also helps ensure the installation points straight back.

Any ideas?

Gazer

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Did you ever figure this out? I have a 1995 Sea-Rayder with a Mercury 120 Sportjet. I have to turn all the way to the right in order to go straight. Sounds like it might be the same issue.

X-17

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Due to engine problems I did not look into this again until a couple of days ago. Turned out a PO had fitted the wrong steering cable. The rod at the rudder end is too short. On a full starboard turn not only the rod but four inches of the wire protrudes from the sheath/tube. When fully extended it started buckling so the rod went sideways at the wire end. The curve shaped by the rod and wire means the rudder does not move the whole way as it should.

Shahid

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
NA
Hi X-17,

Where did you find the steering cable and rod at the rudder end. I have both broken and I can't reverse and steer boat.

Finding it difficult to source those parts.

I am in Australia and these boats are US manufactured and not common in Australia.

any help will be deeply appreciated.

X-17

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I boght a standard item ftom a local chandler and modified it. A wee bit Heath Robinson but it will not break down. Boat is two hours away from here in winter storage so no picture available now.

Shahid

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaRay
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
NA
Thank you mate,

can I pls have part numbers by any chance, I will request my mechanic to modify.

I have attached two pictures showing broken parts, 1 is steering rod and other is reverse cable/connector.

Attachments

X-17

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Will check but may have at summer house in which case afewweeks yet.