• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Stop Port Engine - Contact Yamaha Dealer

gr0veman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Hi all,

I’m at a loss, I’ve taken my recently purchased 2019 Yamaha 212x into the dealer twice for the same issue and it’s still happening! They replaced the battery and o2 sensor which I thought did the trick, but the second time taking it out since the repair, I got the dreaded “Check Engine - Stop Port Engine Contact Yamaha.

I bought the boat pre-owned and I don’t understand what’s going on. The confusing part is it switches off between port and starboard engine each time the dealer services it. Any tips? Thanks!

side note: everything run and sounds fine, it’s just the check engine light with that persistent alarm

Attachments

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
More info needed, MUCH more.

Does it do this when it's on the water? What are they telling you is the issue, while they're throwing parts at it? Are they giving you a printout of what the error codes are supposed to be?

There's a whole lot that this could be, with the simplest being you have something (weeds/plastic bag/other debris) that's limiting the flow of water through the pumps. A small amount of weeds over the grate could cause this, or who knows what else the dealer has told you is the problem...

Is the issue just that warning? What was going on when this happened? Was there anything you tried, in dealing with this?

There's a whole lot of things that this could be, and a whole lot of info that's missing - help us help you by filling in those gaps. If this is similar to the info you gave your dealer, they're shooting in the dark, same as us, only difference is that they're willing to take your money and throw it at things that may not have anything to do with the problem, but a shotgun approach is about what would be expected with limited info to go on.

Why were things replaced, and what did they show you to determine these things needed to be replaced? Battery was tested by them? Battery was tested by you? Autozone will test a battery for free, did your dealer throw your money at a part that wasn't necessarily needed?

gr0veman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
Hey Drew, thanks for the reply and fair, I’ll try to elaborate as much as I can. The error comes on as soon as I start up whatever engine it decides has the issue (in or out of water).

The dealership/service center didn’t charge me either time I brought it in because I bought the boat pre-owned from them and it had this issue immediately.

each time they’ve tried to fix the issue it goes smooth the first time I take it out but by the second day it throws up the check engine with that error code. Every time this has happened the engines sound completely fine.

They said the voltage was a little low so changed the battery. The voltage is currently holding steady at 12.5 minimum, also I’m not getting any errors regarding that.

From what I read on this forum, it could be the o2 sensor, which they changed out last go around.

I have had error messages on both port and starboard side since I bought the boat in Oct 2023. It seems like each time I bring it in it switches from one to the other. I’m wondering if this can be a spark plug issue, because they said they alternated the spark plugs

I doubt any debris is stuck. At the advice of this forum I tried to start and stop the engine in question five times and I’ve hightailed it in reverse on the water in case something was lodged in the jets.

This is as thorough as I can be with the information that I know, really curious to hear your thoughts. Thanks so much!

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
"The voltage is currently holding steady at 12.5 minimum"

That's not right. When your engines are on, you should have 13v, indicating your engine is charging your battery. If your batteries are fully charged and the engines are off, your battery should be 12.8/9.

12.5 at rest isn't bad after you have had the stereo on at the sandbar, but it should for sure not be reading 12.5v when running.

You may want to check your battery connections and put a charger on the battery to start from FULL. There's a small black wire that goes from the battery switch to the negative on the start battery. Is that connected?

Edit: If you think these are original batteries from 2019 or 2018 when the boat came from the dealership, it's beyond time to replace them. The batteries should have the date on them. If they're not from 18/19 but older than three years old, replace them anyway.

gr0veman

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212X
Boat Length
First of all, thank you all for your attention to this matter. I was advised to check the codes and it was a faulty back o2 sensor on the port engine. Simple change out, no more check engine light.

I heard that it could be the additives in CA gasoline that burn out the sensor more quickly than out of state gas (thanks California, once again). At any rate, problem solved for now and I’ll update the group if I have any more insight into the underlying issue. Curious as to your thoughts as well and if anyone has permanently solved this issue?!

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Glad to read you got it resolved!