• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Stuck Cleanout Out Port (I searched) - 2018 242xe

meegwell

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I am sure the correct answer is out there but with such a common question and so many model differences I gave up digging through results (after ice thing if it even applies to my boat).

Boat is at the marina in the water (no ramp there) - last outing I went through some very debris-filled water (unavoidable) and obviously sucked up something significant - likely big sticks but who knows it looked like stick/leaves heavy post-rain crap.

I could not get the cleanouts open (either side) on the water or at the dock.

I see that ice bath for an hour may work. Besides bringing a bag of ice down to the marina, what else - tool or something - should I bring with me as a backup?

Also - what if I can't unclear whatever it is? I need to get 10-12 miles to take the boat out which I planned on doing around now anyway. Realize this is a hard question but say it is a stick (I forget what side) is it ok to limp along to get to the ramp?

Thanks all..as usual!

Zizzou 192

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Remove the water on top of the cleanout ports with a big squirt gun.

Apply Lubegard zero o ring unseizing lubricant to outside of seized o ring.

Remove plug using one hand.

meegwell

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

To be clear...while the plug is stuck inserted, use lubricant on the outside/top of it (around the edge obviously)?

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
True there are lots of threads/content on stuck plugs; but despite dealing with stuck plugs when got my boat, your situation just made me think of an idea I don’t recall elsewhere. I would take a broomstick and a loop of rope/parachord with me. Loop the paracord around the T handle on the plug and tie it into a loop with enough excess above the deck to slip the broomstick (or whatever) in so you can use it as a lever applying force through the chord. Put something under the broom handle end if concerned about sea deck on the swim platform. If debris is stuck you would get lots of cavitation and go nowhere slowly. I also don’t how that would make your plugs stick so they might have already been stuck all along.

Zizzou 192

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
To be clear...while the plug is stuck inserted, use lubricant on the outside/top of it (around the edge obviously)?
Yup.

I have used that lube and method to unstick the plug numerous times on the water. That lube has some unique properties.

Never got to try the other various methods. I’m sure they work, but I just picked the easiest way I could think of to solve the problem.

Last edited:

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Once you get them out, if there is any resistance going back in, stop and order a rebuild kit. I had to rebuild one of mine (2017) last year, and will probably do the other next year.

meegwell

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
True there are lots of threads/content on stuck plugs; but despite dealing with stuck plugs when got my boat, your situation just made me think of an idea I don’t recall elsewhere. I would take a broomstick and a loop of rope/parachord with me. Loop the paracord around the T handle on the plug and tie it into a loop with enough excess above the deck to slip the broomstick (or whatever) in so you can use it as a lever applying force through the chord. Put something under the broom handle end if concerned about sea deck on the swim platform. If debris is stuck you would get lots of cavitation and go nowhere slowly. I also don’t how that would make your plugs stick so they might have already been stuck all along.
i think they were stuck they have given me hell in the past

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
you've got the new style twist locks ??? can you twist at all and just not pull them up ?

meegwell

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yup.

I have used that lube and method to unstick the plug numerous times on the water. That lube has some unique properties.

Never got to try the other various methods. I’m sure they work, but I just picked the easiest way I could think of to solve the problem.
Is this found under pool and spa products?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Ky2fl22

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Same situation here... Both of the plugs are stuck on my 2016 242SE. Off to try to ice method... Trying the Lubeguard next.

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
when I got my boat the PO had seal the plugs with 5200.... had to strap the boat to the ground and use my 3 ton davit winch to get them out...

I replaced the plugs with new ones and bought a set of rebuild kits... just rebuilt the plugs after 6 years..

Leverage will be your friend... also sometimes tapping lightly back and forth on a broom stick with a hammer on the plug can rock it loose while applying extraction pressure...

Zizzou 192

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is this found under pool and spa products?
Lubegard Zer0 Pool and Spa Lubricant. Marketed to unstick O Rings from the outside of the joint in pools and spas. I’ve never used on the pool or spa yet, just boat. Got mine from the Amazon. Plenty of reviews on there explaining how it works to unstick plastic joints and rubber o rings from the outside without breaking stuff.

Last edited:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Same situation here... Both of the plugs are stuck on my 2016 242SE. Off to try to ice method... Trying the Lubeguard next.
you have the push button blow out plugs he has the twist in plugs both should be cleaned and coated with either dielectric grease or bees wax NO solvents!

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I found this to be better lasting than spray. I use it for the o ring seals in our pool and liked it a lot for the old style clean out plugs. You can get it just about anywhere.

Cambo

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The 2018 has the twist out plugs Lube it up if it doesn’t release make something out of wood that can slip over the handle Like a big T shape this will give you plenty of leverage. After it’s removed take Scott brite pads and clean up the aluminum lip that the plug slips into. The aluminum starts to oxidize creating a rough surface that grabs on to the plug not allowing it to release. After the scotch brite lube it up as recommended above.

Zizzou 192

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
An interesting thing to think about here is how these o rings swell and get stuck in the first place. Basically by absorbing water and attracting grit which messes up the engineered clearance…which is why coating them with some kind of barrier substance periodically pervents the swelling and seizing.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
1670775429995.jpeg1670775429995.jpeg
I made this tool out of a water shut off tool and I think 1 1/2 c channel. It’s nice when it’s cold out you don’t have to put you arm in the water on top of the plug, just turn and lift out with safety cord. I also carry a complete spare plug so I don’t have to rebuild it on the water, you can rebuild the bad one from the comfort of your home for the next spare.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

I use a pool lube also. Do you use this penatrating lube as a regular lubricant also? I don’t have any issues with the type I’m using but it would be easier to just carry one type on the boat in case of a stuck plug on the water.