• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

SurfPointe

Blenderhead

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Does anyone know anything about Yamaha's new SurfPointe feature on the 2018 wake series boats. Very curious to know what they did to clean up the wake.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Does anyone know anything about Yamaha's new SurfPointe feature on the 2018 wake series boats. Very curious to know what they did to clean up the wake.
Ditto. . . . Not really a lot of info about it. Wondering if it's a pair of trim type tabs above the nozzles to push the jetwash down, or if it's direct nozzle trim like on the FHXO ski's

ScarabMike

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
From what I can see on the jet spray in the rear is that it positions a jet to shoot against the articulating keel. I guess if you want a side the ballast will fill, and that jet will either move towards the keel, or trim up or down. I would suspect ot will be a trim that digs that side of the boat down since Yamaha has that technology on the Ride equipped skis.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Kinda feel like my wave is better. . . . . Would have to try to surf this before I committed to buy it.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It basically looks like a toe-in alignment/setup for the twin pump. Not sure how they do it, but it could be done by adjusting steering cables w/@Cobra Jet Steering LLC AKs w/the second/auxiliary rod - those rods do have some turnbuckle capability. So - if this is just a toe-in alignment, that can readily be accomplished in any "keeled" new hull.

What I am still not sure of is this:
Can those new 2015+ keeled hulls ever produce a wave that will compete with the older hulls (w/flat bottom sterns)? I have worked on mine quite a bit but feel like there is something amiss (other than the wedge in my case - I have been saving myself, lol). And I have one of the most (if not the most) robust integrated ballast systems in any 240 out there :cool:, so that is not a limiting factor.

I am curious what @jcyamaharider and @ar240owner will say about that comparison once JC has everything dialed-in with his new 2017 242X.

I don't know anyone who knows more about setting these boats up for wake surfing, so that will be it!

--

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
not impressed, more flash/hype than substance

Blenderhead

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It basically looks like a toe-in alignment/setup for the twin pump. Not sure how they do it, but it could be done by adjusting steering cables w/@Cobra Jet Steering LLC AKs w/the second/auxiliary rod - those rods do have some turnbuckle capability. So - if this is just a toe-in alignment, that can readily be accomplished in any "keeled" new hull.

What I am still not sure of is this:
Can those new 2015+ keeled hulls ever produce a wave that will compete with the older hulls (w/flat bottom sterns)? I have worked on mine quite a bit but feel like there is something amiss (other than the wedge in my case - I have been saving myself, lol). And I have one of the most (if not the most) robust integrated ballast systems in any 240 out there :cool:, so that is not a limiting factor.

I am curious what @jcyamaharider and @ar240owner will say about that comparison once JC has everything dialed-in with his new 2017 242X.

I don't know anyone who knows more about setting these boats up for wake surfing, so that will be it!

--
So the big question is - Who is going to be the first to "toe in" their dual pumps to tweak their wave? lol If that's all Yamaha did, which it seems that it may be... modding other older twin pump models (with Cobra Jet auxiliary rod (that I have)) would be an easy science project. Whos up for it??? :)

ar240owner

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm cool with my wave with ballast and a wedge :) no jet spray here :) and btw my son is 5'6 for wave hight comparison :)image.jpg

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So the big question is - Who is going to be the first to "toe in" their dual pumps to tweak their wave? lol If that's all Yamaha did, which it seems that it may be... modding other older twin pump models (with Cobra Jet auxiliary rod (that I have)) would be an easy science project. Whos up for it??? :)
Looks like @McMark already has!
To try to get rid of some of the non-responsiveness between 10 and 2 at the wheel I experimented with toeing in, toeing out, etc. Toeing in made the responsiveness a little worse. Toe out seemed a little better than parallel. When it's toed in you have to move the wheel more to get the boat to initiate a turn. In the end I returned the nozzles to parallel and put fins back on.
https://jetboaters.net/threads/2018s-are-here.15206/page-3#post-262194

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I will post a pic tonight. I have my wave about where my old AR230 was but it has a little steeper face. I like it and the wife and I can go ropeless with ease. We are running less ballast also, about 2500 pounds total.

Even with my first run video my wake is WAY BETTER then surf point.

Last edited:

Blenderhead

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I will post a pic tonight. I have my wave about where my old AR230 was but it has a little steeper face. I like it and the wife and I can go ropeless with ease. We are running less ballast also, about 2500 pounds total.

How do you have the 2500 distributed? I actually purchased some Lead Wake bags to lessen my bag footprint.... need some decent weather to try it out though.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Nice. Looks like you can go pretty far out, too!

--

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Oh yeah!! recovery is real easy and fast.

The ski locker is filled 75%, rear starboard bag 25% iin the video but I run 50% now, port bag is at 100% in the video but I jumper the pump and I get it all of the way full now. 750 on top of the port seat, 550 on the back swim deck along with the 200 lbs of lead bags.

ChrisLLM

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks for details on ballast setup for that surf wave. It really looks good. Question: how are you securing the ballast bag on the swim platform so it doesn't fall off?

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for details on ballast setup for that surf wave. It really looks good. Question: how are you securing the ballast bag on the swim platform so it doesn't fall off?
Screenshot_20170821-203455.png

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This might end up being a big selling point to those individuals that are not familiar with this forum.