• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

SurfPointe

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Well at first I rejected this as marketing hype. That video shows it may have some potential when coupled with a Wake Wedge. It will be interesting to see what the kit costs to update the older boats.

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So if the whole point(e) is to clean up the wash/wake why not run the boat on the opposite engine then give the wake side enough throttle to do what you need?

I tried toeing in from a handling standpoint and didn't like it but I have no idea if it cleaned up the wash.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So if the whole point(e) is to clean up the wash/wake why not run the boat on the opposite engine then give the wake side enough throttle to do what you need?
I would be difficult to get going on one engine/pump with the amount of ballast needed, not enough thrust/too much cavitation. Also - loading is poor(er) on the non-surf side as the intake is up. Albeit the L13 cones help a lot.

--

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I set the toe in one inch on my nozels yesterday. Meaning I measured the distance between the nozzles inside to inside adjusted the connectors 8 full turns each side and remeasured.

It definiately helped make a non-wakewedge wave better and more surfable. However we didn't see any real noticeable improvement with the wedge installed. But perhaps there was some...

The major drawback was steering at slow speed was diminished, especially reverse maoverability. When making full left or full right turns the steering wheel stop had a springy feel to it due to the flex in the steering rods when one of the nozzles bottomed out sooner than the other. Also at 8 full turns adjustment there was Only about a quarter inch of threads remaining in the connector to handle all the steering loads on the starboard nozzle.

It was a worthwhile experiment! I'm sure Yamaha has modified the 2018 nozzles to compensate for the cons above an hopefully they will retrofit on to pleviouse models too. Today I'm going to adjust them back half way to see if there is a happy medium.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Please keep us up to date @Rod5 .

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I set the toe in one inch on my nozels yesterday. Meaning I measured the distance between the nozzles inside to inside adjusted the connectors 8 full turns each side and remeasured.

It definiately helped make a non-wakewedge wave better and more surfable. However we didn't see any real noticeable improvement with the wedge installed. But perhaps there was some...

The major drawback was steering at slow speed was diminished, especially reverse maoverability. When making full left or full right turns the steering wheel stop had a springy feel to it due to the flex in the steering rods when one of the nozzles bottomed out sooner than the other. Also at 8 full turns adjustment there was Only about a quarter inch of threads remaining in the connector to handle all the steering loads on the starboard nozzle.

It was a worthwhile experiment! I'm sure Yamaha has modified the 2018 nozzles to compensate for the cons above an hopefully they will retrofit on to pleviouse models too. Today I'm going to adjust them back half way to see if there is a happy medium.
Very cool! Thank you for sharing, very informative. So - after @McMark posted this (below) I wonder if even modified nozzles/linkages with full range of motion will lead to softer/soggier steering and more play on the wheel.
To try to get rid of some of the non-responsiveness between 10 and 2 at the wheel I experimented with toeing in, toeing out, etc. Toeing in made the responsiveness a little worse. Toe out seemed a little better than parallel. When it's toed in you have to move the wheel more to get the boat to initiate a turn. In the end I returned the nozzles to parallel and put fins back on.
Based on you observations, the SurfPoint really sounds like a Yamaha's workaround for the WakeWedge technology? Different approach but the same end effect, smoothing out the surf side wake.

That also makes me wonder what is going on with @bobbie's boat... Her 212X produces an unbelievable surf wake without the wedge, which has been puzzling and also something that no one could explain. So far.
Perhaps her steering nozzles are... a little bit out of wack?(with a tendency to toe-in)

--

Last edited:

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm anxious to hear what surfpointe does to steering response. I don't even know if steering response is important during surfing.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm anxious to hear what surfpointe does to steering response. I don't even know if steering response is important during surfing.
I don't think steering response is critical while surfing, if you ask me. But SurfPoint is an always-on system, so that could be a compromise not everyone wants to make.
Would be hard to compare unless someone who is not running it upgrades.

--

Last edited:

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Quick follow up:
We all know our setups have a lot of variables and can be sensitive to small adjustments, # of passengers, where they sit, ballast bag placement, wedge adjustments, even fule loads, etc.
That said today was by far the biggest most surfable wake we've ever created on our boat in two seasons on both the port side or goofy. The only change was 1/2 inch toe in on the nozzles vs 1 inch toe in from yesterday. Steering and handling are 99% back to normal and totally acceptable.

Definitely worth trying, easy to do and is free. I ended up at 4 full turns on each nozzel linkage connector to produce a half inch toe in.

For those of you that want to know, today's setup: center ski locker bag 60 to 80%, rear bags 100% on surf side 65% non surf side, 800 lb sack center of swim platform, 550 lb bag on floor in cockpit (on top of gas tank hatch), wedge, and 3 college kid passengers. 2 of us are goofy 2 standard so we have wedges for both sides and the extra bags are centered, passengers ride on surf side.
I'm leaving the half inch toe in as is, and will be curious to see the 2018 setups when they arrive at the dealers.

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Quick follow up:
We all know our setups have a lot of variables and can be sensitive to small adjustments, # of passengers, where they sit, ballast bag placement, wedge adjustments, even fule loads, etc.
That said today was by far the biggest most surfable wake we've ever created on our boat in two seasons on both the port side or goofy. The only change was 1/2 inch toe in on the nozzles vs 1 inch toe in from yesterday. Steering and handling are 99% back to normal and totally acceptable.

Definitely worth trying, easy to do and is free. I ended up at 4 full turns on each nozzel linkage connector to produce a half inch toe in.

For those of you that want to know, today's setup: center ski locker bag 60 to 80%, rear bags 100% on surf side 65% non surf side, 800 lb sack center of swim platform, 550 lb bag on floor in cockpit (on top of gas tank hatch), wedge, and 3 college kid passengers. 2 of us are goofy 2 standard so we have wedges for both sides and the extra bags are centered, passengers ride on surf side.
I'm leaving the half inch toe in as is, and will be curious to see the 2018 setups when they arrive at the dealers.
Very cool! Are you talking about the steering rods - as in the rods that connect the steering nozzle with the articulating keel (the Strbd is OEM, and the second one is from Cobra, right?)?
upload_2017-9-3_21-25-13.png
Or is it the steering cables - (coming from the helm) that you are adjusting? Did you have a chance to try this new combination with and without the wedge?

--

Last edited:

Rod5

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Very cool! Are you talking about the steering rods - as in the rods that connect the steering nozzle with the articulating keel (the Strbd is OEM, and the second one is from Cobra, right?)?
View attachment 63559
Or is it the steering cables - (coming from the helm) that you are adjusting? Did you have a chance to try this new combination with and without the wedge?

--
Both, start with the steering rod connector at the nozzel 4 turns each side, then you need to adjust the std connecting rod to the articulating keel abt 1.5 turns due to the more course threads. Lastly adjust cobra AK rod if you have it such that there is no tension or better said, a loose feel with some play when you jiggle either nozzel or the keel.

M@__

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
I never noticed any lines attached to the boat in the same shot as that massive Bimini.... begs the question, do you have to drop the top to pull someone?

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I never noticed any lines attached to the boat in the same shot as that massive Bimini.... begs the question, do you have to drop the top to pull someone?
No, the line goes under the bimini.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
So all i gotta do is turn the nozzles inwards, install my wake wedge, and drop in some ballast? Sweeet

Brad Dunn

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Quick follow up:

Keep us informed. Is your boat a 212 or 242 ? Thanks

Dustin Schmitt

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Oh yeah!! recovery is real easy and fast.

The ski locker is filled 75%, rear starboard bag 25% iin the video but I run 50% now, port bag is at 100% in the video but I jumper the pump and I get it all of the way full now. 750 on top of the port seat, 550 on the back swim deck along with the 200 lbs of lead bags.
I have the same boat. Loving it but struggling to create a decent wave so this info is priceless. Thank you. I am also curious how you are securing the bag on the back and I assume you are filling it with an auxillary pump? What kind?
Any other modifications?

Blenderhead

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Dustin Schmitt if you go into the Watersports link in this forum there are TONS of posts by myself, @swatski , @jcyamaharider @0627Devildog and a number of others that I cant even remember that all pertain to our wake/ballast setups. Do a search in there. If you have more specific questions please hit me up and I will give you more info on all my mods.

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Dustin Schmitt if you go into the Watersports link in this forum there are TONS of posts by myself, @swatski , @jcyamaharider @0627Devildog and a number of others that I cant even remember that all pertain to our wake/ballast setups. Do a search in there. If you have more specific questions please hit me up and I will give you more info on all my mods.
Or I. . . .more than happy to help get you dialed in.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have the same boat. Loving it but struggling to create a decent wave so this info is priceless. Thank you. I am also curious how you are securing the bag on the back and I assume you are filling it with an auxillary pump? What kind?
Any other modifications?
I just take a rope from the center ski hook and wrap under the bag, then tie back to the tower.

I am using an over the side pump. An attwood 1200 gph.

The only other mod is a Wake Wedge.

A video of the first time surfing behind the boat.