1. Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

SurfPointe

Discussion in 'Watersports' started by Blenderhead, Aug 29, 2017.

1. ttzz

ttzz Jet Boat Addict

Ratings:
    +416 / 9
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    X
    Boat Length:
    Guess I just still need to get used to "jet talk". Problem is another thread was talking about toe-out fins meaning the leading edge of the fins are pointed out (like a vehicle). Anyway guess it will just be a case of deduction by context. However, I'm thinking I maybe don't want a jet boat mechanic doing the alignment on my vehicles or ATVs. :D:D:D:D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. MattFX4

MattFX4 Jetboaters Lieutenant

Ratings:
    +980 / 27
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    Limited S
    Boat Length:
    Cool! On a side note ridesteady is pretty awesome huh? Just installed it on mine.

• Like Like x 1
  3. J-RAD

J-RAD Jet Boat Addict

Ratings:
    +476 / 7
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    AR
    Boat Length:
    It's absolutely awesome! This is my 2nd season with it and I've enjoyed the boat and watersports so much more since adding it. One of the best mods available for the non E-series boats.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. buckbuck

buckbuck Jetboaters Admiral

Ratings:
    +2,986 / 21
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    X
    Boat Length:
    So @Rod5 If I understand you correctly, you placed a straightedge across the two nozzles and adjusted so the nozzles pointed toward each other with a 1/2" gap on each one. Correct? Would it be possible to dumb it down for me with a picture?

5. 0627Devildog

0627Devildog Jetboaters Admiral Staff Member Classifieds Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,376 / 13
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    AR
    Boat Length:
    "(4) full turns on each nozzle adjustment screw"

6. Rod5

Rod5 Jet Boat Addict

Ratings:
    +324 / 5
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    242X E-Series
    Boat Length:
    I’ll look for a pic or two but boat is now at a Marina. Measure the distance between the nozzles. Then adjust the right side in 4 turns inward and the left side in 4 turns inward will give you about a half inch toe in. 8 turns each side is about one inch tow in, but there will be less than half the threads in the right side connector and look like a potential fail point to me. Also the steering stops were nonexistent so the cables flexd terribly when turning all the way either direction at 8 turns. 4 turns still does a tinny bit but seems ok so far. My write up on all this starts at the top of page 3 of this thread more on page 4 or 5.

7. Scuba_ref

Scuba_ref Jetboaters Commander

Ratings:
    +1,471 / 13
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    AR
    Boat Length:
    I do this all the time, back off on the surf side jet to help minimize the washout of the wake face. I also use a large boat fender clipped between the tie down loop and the ladder to direct the jet wash down.

8. nclacrosse

nclacrosse Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    242X E-Series
    Boat Length:
    @Scuba_ref - I was thinking about trying a fender to clean up the jet wash as well. Any pics of your setup? What size fender? I was thinking about trying a 12x34 with the hole through the middle, assuming it would be easier to adjust its position.

9. Ridesteady

Ridesteady Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +82 / 1
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    SX
    Boat Length:
    @J-RAD If your Ridesteady was whining to give it more throttle, it means that it was using the max throttle available to it (or close to it) to maintain the set speed (if it even had enough throttle to maintain the set speed). It won't hurt anything to not give it more throttle, but it may not have enough to maintain the set speed. Hope that helps!

• Like Like x 2
  10. Chuds

Chuds Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    X
    Boat Length:
    @Cobra Jet Steering LLC I was wondering if there were any potential issues using your steering enhancement system with the new surfpointe boats? I am only asking because if the jets do not point straight and from what I can tell from the install photos the steering fins follow the jet nozzles so in theory they my not track straight or put additional forces on the steering system from the potentially angled fins even with the wheel straight?

Chuds

11. Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Cobra Jet Steering LLC Jetboaters Admiral

Ratings:
    +2,762 / 60
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    Other
    Boat Length:
    Other
    The magnum A K system is adjustable so if you are planning on using this with the surf point you would be setting the fins up on the 3rd or fourth setting rather than the first or second setting Also having the nozzles angled for surf point will place a lot of extra stress on the steering cables because the force of the jet traveling through the nozzles will always try to straighten the nozzles so having a second tie rod interconnected between the nozzles will be a lot of help as those will handle the added stress holding the nozzles in the proper position while relieving the pressure on the steering cables.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Rod5

Rod5 Jet Boat Addict

Ratings:
    +324 / 5
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    242X E-Series
    Boat Length:
    CAB12127-3D83-4DDF-8AD2-860B65C25889.png 899CC017-BA57-40A0-BB44-6C7BBB0D9A2B.jpeg Update: Here is the measurement comparison between stock pre-surfpointe at 19.5 inches and the 2018 surfpoint at 18 inches. As you can see the nozzles are pointer a whole inch and a half closer to each other. My DIY adjustments mimicking only got them a half inch closer at 19 inches. I suppose the new nozzles could be shaped differently with built in offsets.

• Informative Informative x 3
  13. 0627Devildog

Ratings:
    +2,376 / 13
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    AR
    Boat Length:
    How's this mod holding up over time? Still getting the results you wanted?

14. Rod5

Rod5 Jet Boat Addict

Ratings:
    +324 / 5
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    242X E-Series
    Boat Length:
    Its a modest gain (10% maybe) and I've been running the mod since last September when the whole Surfpointe concept was put out there. I just put it back to stock for the July Bimini trip so sometime after the trip we'll see what the difference is running it back to stock. But as I'm sure you can imagine, these will not be back to back changes to easily see/feel the change but rather they will be weeks apart and so many other variables at play.

15. 0627Devildog

Ratings:
    +2,376 / 13
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    AR
    Boat Length:
    Appreciate the promt response. . . and the honesty.

16. ilangtry

ilangtry Member

Ratings:
    +24 / 0
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    Limited S
    Boat Length:
    Looking online, 2018 242X does have a different part number for its jet nozzle and tie rods than listed for a 2018 242 LS or 2017 242x (both the same). $129/ea for the ‘18 242x nozzles.

17. Rod5

Rod5 Jet Boat Addict

Ratings:
    +324 / 5
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    242X E-Series
    Boat Length:
    Awesome!! Get'm and tell us what you think!! ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. JH242X

JH242X New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    242X E-Series
    Boat Length:
    Did you ever try the fender? Did it work? Wanting something to try until I determine which wedge to go with. Have a 2018 242x, but still not satisfied with the wave face.

19. Scuba_ref

Scuba_ref Jetboaters Commander

Ratings:
    +1,471 / 13
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    AR
    Boat Length:
    I used the fender all last year. I was trying to find this question to respond. 8 inch fender by 30 inches I think. Just covers the top of the jet nozzle redirecting the thrust downward.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  20. Mohamed Z Sherif

Mohamed Z Sherif Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 1
    Boat Make:
    Yamaha
    Year:
    Boat Model:
    X
    Boat Length:
    Do you think It will affect the top speed on a boat if not surfing?