• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Surge brake lock out

scottrus71

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Question about the surge brake lockout on my MFI 2009 trailer. When in reverse I understand the solenoid will prevent the trailer breaks from engaging.

But I can see the inner slide will still compress when backing up. I’m guessing that is normal for the slide to compress even though the solenoid is engage in reverse?

Is that right? The solenoid only prevents pressure from traveling down the line?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do you have the lockout pin in place or reverse light hooked up when you see the slide compress

scottrus71

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I do not have the lockout pin. I do have the reverse light wire hooked up to the solenoid.

With the trailer wheel off the ground, I can manually actuate the cylinder without the truck connected and verify the brakes engage. That tells me the brakes work.

I guess my question is about how the reverse light and solenoid prevent the brakes from activating. It doesn’t appear to be mechanically since the slide compresses while in reverse.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The reverse flow solenoid has a third port that redirects the fluid to the master cylinder that would be going to the trailer brakes. When the reverse lights on the tow vehicle activate the solenoid, the valve inside the solenoid redirects the brake fluid to return to the master cylinder.

///
Copied from google search

scottrus71

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hahaha. Makes sense now why I see the slide compress while reversing but don’t feel the trailer brakes engage.

Thanks for finding that!

ncnmra

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
To confirm, this means that even if the brakes are engaged (ie: you had come to a complete stop and the trailer was compressed), as soon as you even pass the "reverse" position on the transmission, the solenoid will release the brake line pressure and the brakes will disengage, even if the actuator is fully compressed, right?

This also means that the brakes will not re-engage until the solenoid is deactivated with the actuator fully released.

I ask this because it would mean that if you park on a downhill, then the brakes will release because you would have activated the solenoid as you put the car into park (even if briefly passing through "reverse"). In this case the brakes won't come on until the tongue is fully extended again while driving.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I think your logic is sound but I don’t know that passing through reverse to park will energize it enough of long enough to bleed all the pressure off. I do think if you shifted into reverse for a few seconds then park, you are likely correct. I always carry chocks with me.