• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sweet Baby Jesus! Maneuvering at 5mph!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Yes all that and add the super magnum AK-19 steering for $369.99 and enjoy your boat and allow other people to jump in and drive without all the issues at all speeds not just slow speed .
You are not the first person to be disappointed with the way these boats handle, but wouldn't it be nice to not have to give that another thought? When you go out in the boat next time try to maintain steering in a turn on plane while rapidly slowing down. Or drive in big waves or wind and current. You have a new boat now make it a new boat once again for next to nothing with a 30 day guarantee that if it does not make the boat handle and feel like the boat you really wanted just send it back for a refund. You wont , so let the fun begin.

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Yes all that and add the super magnum AK-19 steering for $369.99 and enjoy your boat and allow other people to jump in and drive without all the issues at all speeds not just slow speed .
You are not the first person to be disappointed with the way these boats handle, but wouldn't it be nice to not have to give that another thought? When you go out in the boat next time try to maintain steering in a turn on plane while rapidly slowing down. Or drive in big waves or wind and current. You have a new boat now make it a new boat once again for next to nothing with a 30 day guarantee that if it does not make the boat handle and feel like the boat you really wanted just send it back for a refund. You wont , so let the fun begin.
This is 100% accurate. After purchasing his fins it was a night and day difference for me. I only drove the boat one time without them and never again. It was an easy learning curve after I added cobra steering. 100% worth the money and then some.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I must be the only guy that thinks fins don't do much. I've driven my buddies same sx230 with fins and didn't notice anything different than my ar230 without fins. I also don't have much trouble with controlling my boat in forward. I just bought thrusters to help with reverse because that is harder to control.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Right on, @Jgorm. No need for fins. A bot of practice and skill is all one needs....just look at that water and say....

Cleveland Steamer

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The SAME thing happened to us last summer when we took our boat out (my first boat) for the first time. But after driving it all summer I was an expert by the end of summer.

shar

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks guys for the feedback, advice, and general comments!

@biglar155 especially, thank you. Your remarks really resonate with me. The boat was purchased for family fun, but how quickly we forget the responsibility that comes with such a vehicle.

Definitely plan on spending more time practicing, practicing, and more practicing!

Love this community!

IA_210SX

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Third season of owning a jet boat. Finally getting it down. Don’t know if it’s my lack of patience or intelligence that has impaired my learning ability.

Almost had my wife confident in docking it but one day she came in a little sideways and hit the lift next to us. Oh well that’s why we buy stuff.

Any way fins or no fins, or side thrusters or none, reverse has been my new best friend along with playing the wind.

Neutron

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Reverse to me was the only negative with my boat.
I did drive it. Completely stock at first and thought the forward low speed maneuvering was very good. Especially in the first forward detent.
I now have the original Magnum Cobras and find the sharpness of the at speed turns is a great improvement.
I also added the JBP lateral thrusters and they are worth every cent. Now reverse is very good

AboveTheBest

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
When I went from a single 19’ to the dual 24’ I thought it would be much harder.
With a full Cobra system I can back my boat into a difficult slip just as easily as I could with my truck.

It will get easier, and before long you’ll look like a hero at the docks.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I just received an email from a customer informing me he posted a review , as many people have year after year. The common sense answer is why try to deal with all the complaints about the lack of steering control that has been around for a long time, from day 1 of jet propelled water craft the down side was lack of steering control .
So for those who want a new boat there is a solution to the issue and for the few who think these problems are not real I wonder how we can explain defying physics .
But it's your boat so do what you wish however for those who have no desire to fight with the boat and want to get the most out of it and the most out of their time on the water with their family .
It's their boat and their choice after all it is so affordable just fixing one scratch from hitting a dock or a rock would cost a lot more, so let common sense prevail. https://jetboaters.net/threads/cobra-super-ultimate-steering-install-and-review.24385/ As for driving talent hell I have videos of me in my late 60 pulling 5 people in 2 tubes with my P W C standing on the seat with my hands in the air or pulling those tubes driving with my feet as well as other tricks because My p w c's have steering without it forgetaboutit. I drive a ski all over the place standing up driving no hands even in rough water and I seriously doubt you will see other people doing this. My advice is it's your boat make your own logical decision and the don't complain if it ends up being the wrong one.

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had a small jet boat a long time ago and a waverunner. I put CJ fins on before ever driving my new Yamaha boat because I knew what to expect. I later added the JBP lateral thrusters when they came out,which you can’t do, but they’re a great addition as well for maneuvering. Personally I think it’s the best setup for these boats.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I must be the only guy that thinks fins don't do much. I've driven my buddies same sx230 with fins and didn't notice anything different than my ar230 without fins. I also don't have much trouble with controlling my boat in forward. I just bought thrusters to help with reverse because that is harder to control.
I can't say they aren't worth it until I try. I'm on season #3 and love the way the boat handles without fins. Just because it's different doesn't mean it's bad.

Secondarily, I don't want to add any additional items to the bottom/rear of the boat. We like that there "isn't anything to kick" when at anchor (despite that I've bloodied my foot once being overly complacent because of that notion), so adding more fins to that area is very counter intuitive to me.

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
I will say that coming from a BRP Rotax setup (Scarab) before having the Yamaha, the BRP is significantly more nimble in reverse and neutral, the lateral thrusters help on Yamaha but still cannot match it in my opinion.

Peelz

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Glastron
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You don’t need to think. You need to drive. You need speed. You need to go out there, and you need to rev your engine. You need to fire it up. You need to grab ahold of that line between speed and chaos, and you need to wrestle it to the ground like a demon cobra. And then, when the fear rises up in your belly, you use it. And you know that fear is powerful, because it has been there for billions of years. And it is good. And you use it. And you ride it; you ride it like a skeleton horse through the gates of hell, and then you win!

Or practice a bit, using only one motor with short bursts forward and back helps. Slow and steady, wave off if needed. Have dock lines and fenders at the ready.
this post pi$$es excellence.

IndySmittyYammi

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It gets much easier. I don't have fins and never have issues docking, even when we are river boating with a current of several knots. Practice is huge, but also finding a way you are comfortable with docking no matter the condition is key.

I'm a big fan of approaching at a 90* angle. Basically pointing straight at the dock, and then quickly whipping the bow away from the dock and the stern toward the dock. Obviously the doesn't work in all docking situations, but I try to always put myself into a spot that I can do this and be responsibly aggressive.

I feel like all boaters have their ideal approach setup, and all boaters have their uncomfortable setups. For me, I'm super confident in any situation I can aggressively whip the rear end around. I HATE situations where I have to maneuver in straight into a tight slip. I'm impatient and always tend to steer too much.

sunbyrned

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Don't know if I'm adding anything new. I went from a prop to jets and thought I made a big mistake. I used to pull right into a slip or trailer and throw it in reverse if I needed to re-set. Not the case with the yamaha. I finally learned to gingerly approach things in neutral while using the throttles separately to steer. If cruising to the dock, I'll use the no wake mode switch to give me juice, but for the most part, I use the throttles. Gingerly is the best way I know to describe it. Try it and your red track will become a straight line soon.

Last edited:

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Cobras turned me into a pro docker overnight. Well worth the money. Just remember go only go as fast as your willing to hit the dock. With that in mind I go super slow. From 50 yards out it’s pretty much shifting from neutral forward and neutral.

BrentEB

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yeah - docking can be hairy. Did you think or have to back in like the others?

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Once u get use to it u will be able to do things other boats cant at the dock.. bow in at an angle and then spin the wheel towards the dock and hit reverse... the back will slide right in!

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Once u get use to it u will be able to do things other boats cant at the dock.. bow in at an angle and then spin the wheel towards the dock and hit reverse... the back will slide right in!
Now that is some fancy shananigans, but he is right. With time you be fine.

Also don’t forget to account for lag of response. Once you get a feel for that it gets easy.