• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Sweet Baby Jesus! Maneuvering at 5mph!

JDFester

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not much to add that hasn't already been said, but:

1. Practice makes perfect! You'll get the hang of it and learn the little maneuvers quickly. Find an empty cove and just try different throttle/steering inputs and observe what the do.
2. Cobra Fins can and do make a difference. Can you get by without them? Sure, but as Jeff said, in my opinion they make more a difference to the infrequent driver you may need to let drive sometime, and they improve many facets of your experience ... no wake steering, towing for watersports, etc.
3. Biggest adjustment for me coming from stern drives was apply what feels like a LOT more throttle in short, quick bursts to achieve the same "feathering" effect you got just shifting directions at idle in a stern drive.
4. My 8 year old learned faster than I did, as he never drove the stern drives; he's even teaching his dad a few tricks! As of this summer, he is the primary driver off the trailer to pick me up at the dock, and then returning me to the dock and trailering the boat. I really need to get a video of not only him, but the gaping looks from others at the dock/ramp as they're struggling and he glides the boat exactly where he wants it to go!

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Once u get use to it u will be able to do things other boats cant at the dock.. bow in at an angle and then spin the wheel towards the dock and hit reverse... the back will slide right in!
Been backing in io's the same way for decades. The Yamaha is great, but it's got no advantages on docking compared to the equivalent prop boat (twins vs twins, and single vs single). None, zero.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
With time and practice it will be easier than any other boat out there. Small pulses in and out of the throttle is the key. Remember that there is not transmission so go forwards and reverse as much as you like.

Last edited:

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Been backing in io's the same way for decades. The Yamaha is great, but it's got no advantages on docking compared to the equivalent prop boat (twins vs twins, and single vs single). None, zero.
I disagree. No way I could "crab walk" the I/O sideways, or spin it on it's axis.

I can get my 19ft Yamaha into places I wouldn't have even considered taking my 19' I/O. Had that boat for 6 seasons, so plenty of opportunity to try.

The outdrive worked as a "sea anchor" of sorts, and sliding the back sideways up to a dock was damn near impossible. Had to "parallel park" the boat much like a car, the jet comes in at an angle, place the nose where you want it, then swing the back in. Little forward/reverse action with alternating steering input (that is super easy because the wheel only moves 270 deg instead of 1,800 deg) and the boat is placed right where it needs to be.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Little bumps of throttle are your friend...too much and she will over-react. Also practice turning with the outboard engine in forward and the inboard engine in reverse. With a little practice, you'll be able to turn it around in it's own length.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I disagree. No way I could "crab walk" the I/O sideways, or spin it on it's axis.

I can get my 19ft Yamaha into places I wouldn't have even considered taking my 19' I/O. Had that boat for 6 seasons, so plenty of opportunity to try.

The outdrive worked as a "sea anchor" of sorts, and sliding the back sideways up to a dock was damn near impossible. Had to "parallel park" the boat much like a car, the jet comes in at an angle, place the nose where you want it, then swing the back in. Little forward/reverse action with alternating steering input (that is super easy because the wheel only moves 270 deg instead of 1,800 deg) and the boat is placed right where it needs to be.
My buddy spins his 38' on axis with only a couple feet on each side. Any twin can spin. I pull my dad's 24' single io in perpendicular to the dock about 2' from the end, then swing the back end 90°. I've done it 100x on that boat. Full right turn and reverse sucks the back in, then full left turn and a bump in forward bring it closer to the dock and stops the boat. The only advantage of my Yamaha over his io on docking is twin screws, but i don't seem to use do that when docking. I did grow up with a dock in my back yard, and started driving boats without my dad 30 years ago when i was 12. I've docked 1000s of times. I've docked loads of different boats in all kinds of conditions. The only thing harder than a Yamaha jet is the old waverunners without reverse. Gotta 180 those into place. I'm not saying the Yamaha is hard to dock, just that it's trickier than most boats, except maybe big sailboats when trying to back those in. Those are a trip to drive when you can put it in reverse 200' before you get to the dock just to slow down from 5mph.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Jgorm I've never piloted a twin engine anything (except for a 10min test drive on an older SX230 once), so perhaps that's the difference? I much prefer docking my non-finned 19ft jet over my 19ft I/O. I feel it rotates much easier than my I/O, and is in general "looser" with the controls. The ability to bump fwd/rvs back and forth without a transmission is a huge plus for me as well.

We all have our preferences, and the differences between the boats is more likely subjective than objective anyway.

dietz

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
It gets 100% easier within a couple times. Bumping in and out of forward-neutral-forward and steering during the moments under low power and then coast. That's what works for me .. you'll be good shortly, it'll click.
100% agree. This is the key. Amazing manuverability. We back into dock to pickup every time. Boat has never needed to be bow loaded.

dietz

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
100% agree. This is the key. Amazing manuverability. We back into dock to pickup every time. Boat has never needed to be bow loaded.
...never even considered fins after 3 times out with a little practice.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think it is like golf; You will not improve your game unless you put down the driver and spend more time on the putting green. For the boat, we only ever dock 1-2x per outing so we get little practice. Go out by yourself, pick an object out in the water such as a buoy and practice, practice, practice. Aftermarket fins also help without question but some like the different experience with finless vs. fins. I say get them knowing that you could remove them later

One of the greatest thread titles I have read here in all of my time. Good luck

Jdaniels

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Took our boat out for the first time this weekend! We had a blast on Lake Travis. Moving and maneuvering at speed was easy, and a lot smoother than some prop boats I've been on. HOWEVER, trying to dock this thing had to be pretty comical for anyone watching. Eventually a group of people at the dock felt sorry enough for us and asked us to toss them some rope to pull us in. Please tell me it gets easier with time. Below is a representation of what we probably looked like 😆

View attachment 105197
I bought fins just because of that exact issue you show. Also, the slightest winds will have you all over the place. Roll up the bimi after dropping the bumpers, as it acts like a huge sail. With the fins, I can now dock like I have an outboard on back. Without them, it will take you a few solid weekends to get it down and still on occasion jack it completely up. Super embarrassing, :blackeye: :banghead: 🥵 if the ramp is loaded with boaters and on lookers.

Jim Crane

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What I like most about the fins is that now when I come off a plane, the boat no longer does a 360. But my boat is a 2012. There is no fancy rudder like the newer models have.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I think it is like golf; You will not improve your game unless you put down the driver and spend more time on the putting green. For the boat, we only ever dock 1-2x per outing so we get little practice. Go out by yourself, pick an object out in the water such as a buoy and practice, practice, practice. Aftermarket fins also help without question but some like the different experience with finless vs. fins. I say get them knowing that you could remove them later

One of the greatest thread titles I have read here in all of my time. Good luck
Or quit using a stick to hit the ball and use some good clubs although I would imagine if you waste enough time hitting the ball with a stick you may improve somewhat.

shar

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Update! Installed these before hitting the lake yesterday, and boy oh boy did it make a world of difference. Loaded the boat and docked the boat on the first try! :)

HOWEVER, the steering is incredibly heavy now. I felt like I was fighting the boat to steer at anything over 30mph. Two hands, with effort, fighting. I've got some concerns, but need to do some better analysis with pictures before commenting further...

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Update! Installed these before hitting the lake yesterday, and boy oh boy did it make a world of difference. Loaded the boat and docked the boat on the first try! :)

View attachment 107241

HOWEVER, the steering is incredibly heavy now. I felt like I was fighting the boat to steer at anything over 30mph. Two hands, with effort, fighting. I've got some concerns, but need to do some better analysis with pictures before commenting further...
Those should come up at speed. Shouldn’t have introduced any drag on the wheel while on plane, as I understand it.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

View attachment 107241

I'd contact @JetBoatPilot and let him know what's up. Might be and adjustment issue.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
So simply put, this is how you fix the steering at all speeds without the hard resistance in the helm, "also keep in mind that the A K twin engine boats have a rack and pinion steering helm that greatly reduces the resistance the operator experiences by gearing it down so it can do the work and not be a burden on the operator.
For comparison the regular helm pre 2018 has aprox. 1/4 turn for full right or full left turn of the nozzles as opposed to the 2018 and newer helm requiring a 1/2 turn of the wheel for the same movement of the nozzles," That is a BIG difference.
So by adding the super magnum A K steering system to your 2019 or newer twin engine Yamaha jet boat you will obtain reliable, predictable steering at all speeds in all conditions, for watersport activities, and novice operators plus balance out the steering systems work load while also adding redundancy to your steering system.
This is how you receive a constant self adjusting steering input for all speeds and avoid having huge low riding fins hanging below the nozzles creating side drag resistance and avoid the turbulence created between the rudder, keel and the steering fins.
This is how you obtain a balanced system for only $360 with free domestic priority mail shipping included.
You do your homework and buy your last steering system first.
Cobra steering has a variety of systems for ALL Yamaha jet boats.
For the 2019 and 2020 twin engine models add this system. "Super Magnum A K - 19". And remember we both have a money back guarantee so if you buy one manufacturers system & after trying it on your boat you don't think it's for you , order the other, try it and compare it, then decide what system you want to keep and return the other system for a refund.
It's your boat and you owe it to yourself to get the most out of it.

View the first picture, Note how the fins are away from the rudder and keel, note the V configuration created between the fins and rudder, note the height of the bottom of the fins in comparison to the bottom of the rudder, note the second tie rod so that both nozzles, and steering cables share the work evenly .
Now take a look at the bottom of the nozzles and understand that when the boat is on plane only the portion of the fin from about 1 inch below the nozzle is making contact with the water, with that in mind look at the majority of the fin in the first picture, it is actually out of the water simply by the position of the hull as it rides higher on plane and when the boat comes off plane the fin surface is then fully submerged & engaged as required at slow speeds ,simple, reliable, effective and predictable.
View the second picture it is a stock A K twin engine, this picture was posted on this site by a member it is amazing because it clearly shows the actual position of the nozzles and rudder in relation to the water while the boat is on plane, it also indicates the turbulent areas between the nozzles , keel & rudder .

Attachments

Shady28

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

View attachment 107241

Try a quick dry run on the trailer to see if your fins are catching on anything. Have someone turning the wheel and look for any tolerance issues with clearance around the jets and fins. I noticed a small catch spot from when I put the steering linkage back in (from boat to jet) upside down (when you reverse orientation of the bolt and nut). A quick file down of the fin edge at that point cleared it up.

Cobra, clearly this member has voted with his time and money to try another product and is looking for guidance from other members after his first time out. I use JBP now, I might use Cobra's in the future both appear to be great products. What I do know is that the consistent promotion of Cobra in so many thread or topic jackings (4 times in this thread) is overkill in my opinion. Again, great product, great expertise, great community support, but the self-serving nature of the posts, especially in response to someone who literally bought a competitors product and is asking questions about their experience is becoming a hindrance to the community as a divisive topic that creates camps of members (those that have this product or that product and you're wrong or stupid for having one vs. the other).

Shar - check it out and let us know what you see. Hope there's a quick and easily fix.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Just stating the facts lessons are expensive I have actually stayed quiet for a while but since I blazed this trail and did what everyone told me could not be done and since I know a lot more about steering on jets than most people I will end with Thank you for your opinion but not your crass comments.
It's all about steering.
Information is important for people to make educated decisions and I wonder why someone would NOT want people to hear all the information, that is obviously how big mistakes happen. You have 62 posts impressive!