• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

SX 192 Mods

yamahasrxman

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
GREAT JOB, definitely going to add this to my list to do.

RookieJetBoater

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Ar192. So last year I tuned to 8100rpm and had a fizzle installed.

I launched yesterday. Boat ran fine up 51mph gps but was hesitating from time to time. I was thinking it was bad gas. After 3rd time hesitating from 8000 rpm down to 5000 I open engine compartment and there was so much water that it was spraying from the shaft around the compartment. I realized bilge wasn't working right. Went back to dock and cleaned bilge screen bilge starting working correctly and then I went out again. Boat worked fine 20 min. No water in compartment.

Then suddenly major cavitation that starts at 2000 rpm. I see bubbles out of back even at low idle.

What are possible causes? Hoping this isn't related to the water in engine compartment..

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Ar192. So last year I tuned to 8100rpm and had a fizzle installed.

I launched yesterday. Boat ran fine up 51mph gps but was hesitating from time to time. I was thinking it was bad gas. After 3rd time hesitating from 8000 rpm down to 5000 I open engine compartment and there was so much water that it was spraying from the shaft around the compartment. I realized bilge wasn't working right. Went back to dock and cleaned bilge screen bilge starting working correctly and then I went out again. Boat worked fine 20 min. No water in compartment.

Then suddenly major cavitation that starts at 2000 rpm. I see bubbles out of back even at low idle.

What are possible causes? Hoping this isn't related to the water in engine compartment..
Cavitation is not related to the bilge.

RookieJetBoater

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Yes. agreed.

Can water entering the engine compartment be related to the cavitation?

The dealer checked my impeller when they re-commisioned and they also lubed the pull out port. I am hoping this is related to one of those things.

Anyway, I will need to pull the boat today and back to the dealer. Damn..

RookieJetBoater

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
So, the pull out was not inserted tight. That eliminates the bubbles, but there is a major vibration over 2000 RPM. I will move this to another thread as it doesn't seem related to the mods at this point.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Are you certain there's not a piece of debris in the blade of the impeller? If you can't feel it thru the clean out port check it from the nozzle end. Maybe pull the nozzle if necessary.

RookieJetBoater

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Yeah it was a hole in the wear ring. Fixed.

Now the vibration is gone but there is a power issue.
Boat engine is wavering rpm by approx 500rpm.

Bleh. I wanna keep loving this boat but it's hard these days..

Tom V

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Last fall, I installed a Fizzle. Immediate impact. Was able to run WOT @ 48MPH GPS for 30 minutes with no heat fade. Finally!

Then tuned to 8100RPM. GPS max up to 51MPH, and able to maintain 50MPH.

Hole shot is ridiculously better now, however, after the tune, there is cavitation on take-off. I assume impeller upgrade will fix this? Can you recommend an impeller? I am still using the stock impeller for last 3 years.

I assume that will push me to 52MPH+ and at that point, I am pretty happy. Pushing speed much higher would require more boost and increase reliability risk.

Thx.
What time did you go with to reach 8100 , thanks

RookieJetBoater

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
I used a PWC performance guy in my area with a good rep.
He did the fizzle install and the tune. I will check with him which one he used. He wanted to be conservative on the first tune.

I suppose I should get him to transfer the license to me and buy a maptuner now that I bought 2 seadoos this year but its $$$

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I used a PWC performance guy in my area with a good rep.
He did the fizzle install and the tune. I will check with him which one he used. He wanted to be conservative on the first tune.

I suppose I should get him to transfer the license to me and buy a maptuner now that I bought 2 seadoos this year but its $$$
Two major advantages of a MaptunerX are you can reflash with a backup file for regular gas, and also clear any pesky codes - at least in Connext boats they can freak out when a battery is turned off too soon after the ignition, etc. It saved my butt twice, during a lake vacation.

--

RookieJetBoater

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
So I spoke with my tuning guy here up in Toronto. He said it was a custom mapping he worked on with somebody at Riva but couldn't remember the max RPM. Based on the top speed of 51-52GPS, I don't think it was over 8100RPM. After we deal with the cavitation issues, will try some more tunes and get back to you.

Tom V

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So I spoke with my tuning guy here up in Toronto. He said it was a custom mapping he worked on with somebody at Riva but couldn't remember the max RPM. Based on the top speed of 51-52GPS, I don't think it was over 8100RPM. After we deal with the cavitation issues, will try some more tunes and get back to you.
Ok great, thanks

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
How fast can these engines turn? What is the max RPM you can get before damaging them engine? 8400? 8600? 9000?

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
8600 without valve retainers. 9200+ with retainers. At higher rpm it is very important to run the correct supercharger wheel. Many of them stop adding boost and just make heat.

d_coyne1984

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Do you think something like this could work on our boats with an exhaust like yours?

I am really late to the party on this topic, but man would that be nice while surfing. Otherwise I LOVE my engine sound. I want both...

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@SamCF any chance you could post on your exhaust upgrades? I’m super interested in a clean air or even a flapper tip.

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I don't have any pictures. Pretty simple setup though. I removed the stock resonator, crossed over to the starboard side and exit through a 4" tip with flapper.

An internal silencer can be added to the tip with no performance loss.

You can put a silicone 90 on the tip to turn exhaust under water at slow speeds. You should use thru bolts to install the tip if you plan on hanging anything off of it. I mounted with stainless screws and have not experimented with anything else.

Had big plans of having exhaust exit behind the ride plate under the pump, but don't have time to mess with it.

This is the tip I'm using now. It's a little loud sitting against the rear backrest. I never sit there so it sounds good to me.

SamCF

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX192
Boat Length
I've been really busy, and haven't had much time for the boat. Only 4 trips to the lake this Summer. Last time out we hit 61 mph with full fuel 2 adults and 3 kids. I know speed isn't everything, but it is really nice to blow by the slow boats and cruise in clean water.

Hooked up YDS to check the hours. 250 hours total now, most of those with the ETLB wheel. Still on the stock supercharger clutch. Love this boat!!