• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

SX230 Resurrection

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It's out, supposed to rain all weekend so swapping them is going to have to wait.
engine.JPG

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sold the trailer and skeleton this morning for $425 so the engine ended up costing me $2,075. I also kept the complete wiring harness including the ECU box.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You didn't keep any pump parts? Nicely done!

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Oh Well... I just paid some extra shipping on impellers to get some pump parts going in the attic. No use having empty space...air is a poor insulator, so the attic is better filled with some free spares :D

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
😂 We are combining two houses into one now and planning on moving to Fla. within the next 18 months and I already have 20 yrs. worth of things that I have collected that need to be gone before then.

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We finally had a weekend without rain so I took the opertunity to pull the starboard engine. Picture with the engine hatch was before my buddy showed up to help me remove the hatchView attachment 94513. I didn't put the new/used engine in today because I need some input on how much play there should be in the intermediate shaft bearings. Looks like I have at least 1/4" play up and down and side to side and I don't know if this is normal with the pump removed. The other shaft seems to have play in it also.IMG_1700.JPGIMG_1697.JPG

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
After waiting nearly four weeks for impeller housings they finally came in today so I put the pumps back together and installed them. With the pumps installed there is no play in the intermediate shaft, still don't know if the play is normal but the bearings feel fine so I'm going to see what happens.

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
IMG_1744.JPGWith the help of my better half we got the engine in and running yesterday. For anyone else doing this swap from a ski there were a couple of things that need to be done for it to work. The wiring harness plug at the throttle body/injectors is different so I used the complete assembly from the ordinal engine. Also need to swap the valve cover and the thermostat mounting bracket and use the coils from the old engine. I'm sure this may vary depending on what year the donor ski is.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Good Timing, Let us know how the test drive works out!

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Think there may be a issue in the gear reduction gear box on the port engine. I get a clattering noise at an idle and I can rotate the output shaft back and forth more then the other two engines. Ordered a new rubber coupler because there is a lot of play in that to see if that helps. Replaced the engine compartment blowers today and tried to get the bow light apart because it doesn't work but could not. Has anyone had their bow light apart that can tell me they did it?

arlowe13

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Think there may be a issue in the gear reduction gear box on the port engine. I get a clattering noise at an idle and I can rotate the output shaft back and forth more then the other two engines. Ordered a new rubber coupler because there is a lot of play in that to see if that helps. Replaced the engine compartment blowers today and tried to get the bow light apart because it doesn't work but could not. Has anyone had their bow light apart that can tell me they did it?
I just replaced my bow light a couple weeks ago. Once removing the screw from the rear of the light, the cover pops off. This gives you access to the mounting screws.

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Got a few more things corrected tonight, the bow and stern light issue was just burnt out bulbs so I replaced those and installed a new latch that was missing on the battery access hatch.

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
IMG_1752.JPGReplaced the plastic scupper today with a stainless one, after I took the nut off I tried to pry it loose from the sealant and to my surprise NOT the flange broke off. Also installed a new bilge pump and the rubber part of the port engine coupler. There is very little play in the coupler now and the clattering noise has been greatly reduced. Getting closer😊

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Last night I filled the bilge with water over the new scupper to make sure it didn't leak and checked the bilge pump operation, after cleaning out a partially plugged line it worked great. While putting the starboard water box back in I noticed a black hose just hanging loose and realized that someone had installed the clean out tray drain line to the thru hull fitting where the cooling water outlet line was supposed to be and left that line just floating in the breeze. Finding and fixing all kinds of interesting things on this boat.

After getting everything straightened out I started and ran the starboard engine on the hose for 15-20 minutes with no issues. I tried doing the same to the port engine but after approximately 5 min. it overheated. Pulled the thermostat out and found it loaded with salt, cleaned it up, tested the thermostat in a pot on the stove and reinstalled it. Started the engine and it overheated again. There is a part that Yamaha calls a joint bolted to block next to the anode that has two cooling lines and the line coming off the top of the exhaust manifolds connected to it that was plugged solid with salt residue. After removing and cleaning that out the overheating issue went away.

Obviously who ever ran this in salt water either never or very seldomly flushed it and the salt residue(dust) is turning into a paste when I added water to it. Salt Away should be here tomorrow and it will hopefully clear this up.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
great job on this boat and thanks for keeping us updated, I wish I was your neighbor and got to see this happen in person,
I can't wait to see the post of it being back on the water,

since you know you have salt build up you may consider Cranky's closed loop flush to get the whole system cleaned out,
synopsis at

full link

Thanks for the link, that is exactly what I was trying to figure out how to do last night. We pump descaler/acid through water cooled condensers for A/C systems at work I just need to make sure the product we use is safe on aluminum.

My thermostat housing was as bad if not worse then his.

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The engine I pulled out has been sitting on my garage floor for a month or so now and my curiosity finally got the best of me and I tore it apart tonight. Warning the following pictures could be disturbing to some people. As bad as the top end is the gear reduction, oil pump, cooler, stator, and crankshaft look brand new. Obviously all the water stayed on top of the pistons, it is wet now from all the marvel mystery oil I put in the cylinders in a futile attempt to free it up.
.IMG_1756.JPGIMG_1760.JPGIMG_1761.JPGIMG_1762.JPG

Last edited: