• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

SX230 Resurrection

Whiskey

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This is a great read and I'm learning a ton. Thank you for posting this!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
and that's a good looking little tractor, did you refurb it or is it original ?

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@Brad_Ct I have been following your adventure all along. But those engine pictures make me want to not return. Disgusting.
What are you hoping to salvage off it?

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Scottintexas That tractor is a complete rebuild with power steering added and the loader was modified to fit it. I have two other 318s also one I use for snow blowing during the winter and mowing during the summer, the other has a plow on it. I bought and sold John Deere tractors for awhile and kept a few for myself.

@buckbuck I don't know how this happened but obviously the engines were never flushed for starters, all the cooling passages are plugged solid with salt. It amazes me that people can be so destructive to equipment. I do know that someone put some money into the boat trying to fix it before I got it though, The ECU box was loose on the back wall and the starter relay was bad and when I opened the box it appears that the ECU was replaced at some point. As far as salvaging parts of the engine, the block, pistons and head are junk but everything else looks to be in very good shape. Good candidate for a SBT core.

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yesterday I used CrankyGypsys idea with a few changes to flush my port engine. Instead of capping the exhaust I just pulled what he called the up pipe and let the flush flow out the three holes at the end of the exhaust through the bilge out the drain plug back into the bucket of solution. I did use Sulfamic Acid (grout remover) that I was able to get at Home Depot and soda ash from a friends pool company. I flushed it with the acid for a couple hours and then for a half hour with the soda ash. I knew my oil cooler and thermostat housing were plugged bad but after the flush they were very clean, hopefully the rest of the cooling passages are also.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Wow. That is great news. Do you have any before and after pictures? Sounds like all the salt water guys should consider this as occasional preventive maintenance.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Having the same year and model boat I to have been following your exploits @Brad_Ct. Those engine pics were so graphic I had to send the grandkids out of the room. I'm looking forward to your last pic where your sitting on your completely refurbished boat flushing your throat with a cold beer.

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@buckbuck There really was no way to get a picture of the oil cooler lines so unfortunately I don't have any before and afters.

The one thing I found interesting and have not figured out how it happened but like crankygypsy I also got water in the cylinders while doing the flush. I was my understanding that the only way this could happen is if it backed up in the exhaust. Since I had the pipe going to the water box off that could not of happened and I'm at a lose as to were the water came from. I pulled the spark plugs before the flush so I could see if water was in the cylinders, there was not a lot but some definitely got in there.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Hmmm...you had the pipe disconnected and water flowing out the three holes?
IMG_0802rev1.jpg

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@buckbuck There really was no way to get a picture of the oil cooler lines so unfortunately I don't have any before and afters.

The one thing I found interesting and have not figured out how it happened but like crankygypsy I also got water in the cylinders while doing the flush. I was my understanding that the only way this could happen is if it backed up in the exhaust. Since I had the pipe going to the water box off that could not of happened and I'm at a lose as to were the water came from. I pulled the spark plugs before the flush so I could see if water was in the cylinders, there was not a lot but some definitely got in there.
Brad_Ct, I am amazed at your (and your wife's) energy. Have you removed the head gasket? If your water pressure flush was high enough, it may have forced some water into the cylinders in the plane of the head gasket. My starboard cylinder head and block have enough corroded spots were I think that is possible.

Last edited:

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@buckbuck Yes water was flowing out the three holes.

@ WREKS She will not be my wife until this Saturday😄 But yes she helps me however she can even if it's just bringing full beers out to me. I have not pulled the head off, have been trying to avoid any more work then I need to do. Compression is 150 in cylinders 1-3 and 140 in cylinder 4 per the gauge I have. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks I can get it the water and see if it floats.

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Have you water tested it yet?

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Have you water tested it yet?
Not yet, hopefully next weekend. Boat has not been a priority, my better half sold her house and the closing is next week so we needed to get her moved out and we got married on the 13th. Been a busy few weeks to say the least.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Not yet, hopefully next weekend. Boat has not been a priority, my better half sold her house and the closing is next week so we needed to get her moved out and we got married on the 13th. Been a busy few weeks to say the least.
Congrats on the wedding sir!

mrtoastyjr

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Great read, will be following this thread for sure. I wonder if the exhaust flow through the pipe to the water box is creating a venturi effect which helps create a low pressure in the water jacket of the exhaust manifold that helps draw the water out, and since you had the pipe to the water box off there wasn't any chance to create the low pressure so the pressure of the water was enough to back it up into the cylinder?

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have not given up!!!!! Replaced both the blowers, the missing battery switch and installed both batteries, waiting on a friend of mine to come over at some point with his grandson to install the new horn because I can’t get to it. Ordered new reverse gate cables today and hopefully they arrive before the weekend.
4FDA00A0-B2A4-4661-89E2-15F70304D6BA.jpeg
Are these the YDS connectors?

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The YDS connectors should have a Port & Starboard label on the wire harness near the connector.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Actually when I zoom in I can see the one you are holding says Port. Now just dig out the starboard connector and you're all set.

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Started putting the gate cables in after work today. First one was no issue but on the second one the plastic cable end snapped while tightening up the jamb nut. Ordered two through Amazon and they are going to be delivered Sunday. Glad it broke now instead of on the water.