• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Teak Sea dek replaced with new style (completed)

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Like the title says. My seadek that I had installed when I bought the boat in 2017 needs replacing. I'm not sure if the cover on all the time in this FL heat made the adhesive start failing or what. No shop wants to remove it but will install the new stuff. How hard is this to remove myself, including the factory swim deck. The interior sea deck looks like I can peel it up no problem but the adhesive looks like the hard part. Tips on chemicals and brushes to use. I want to really update the look to my AR240 with a floor budget of $2k. The bad part is I just had the boat ceramic coated.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I used DeBond on the tough spots and then Acetone for final clean.

Bubba7827

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Bump. I am interested in advice on this project as well.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
we've had a couple of threads about removal in the past,
magic eraser wheel on a drill I remember,

my 2007 hydro turf was torture, sq inch at a time trying to remove / clean up,

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
After having removed just the swim deck pads to prep for a new install... I'll be buying a new boat before I consider removing a whole boat's worth of it.

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Starting this project next week. I'll keep you posted. Removing cockpit, swim deck and optional pads and replacing with new.

Radams

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Get a gallon of xylene. Wet the glue & whatever mat won't peel off and it will come off with a plastic scraper and shop rags. Just did the swim platform original mats on a 2015. By far the easiest method of removal. The magic eraser wheels are expensive and take for-ev-er...

Radams

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Xylene will take the glue off without having to use the eraser wheel. Mineral spirits will not.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This guy has another method, although his blade recommendation isn't very helpful. What you'll be looking for is a FLEXIBLE scraper blade.

Here's two different options for a scraper blade:

JodyHarrison

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am getting ready to take advantage of the Marine Mat deal from Jet Boat Pilot but is a 5 year life span common with these types of materials? I’ve never had a boat with these in them before, I just had snap in carpet.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I started with snap-in carpet, and it was hot as hell. Pulled the carpet almost instantly (2nd or 3rd outing), and went bare white for a while. Did the SeaDek, and even if I only get 5 years out of it, I'd never go back to the carpet. It's hard to describe just how much better the SeaDek is. Apparently the Marine Mat being offered by JBP is NOT the same as the OEM Marine Mat on the swim deck, and is similar to SeaDek. @HangOutdoors has had some luck with some adhesive in areas that haven't stuck, no idea what the conditions were for the OP that caused his adhesive failure claim, or what that phrase is describing. Maybe he's got some pics to show us some specifics, or some more info to add to give a fuller picture of what he's talking about.

I know it's a big splash of cash for padded flooring in your boat. I went the route of cutting my own due to having a "custom" color, and thus no discounts were available for me. I would do it all again in a heartbeat. I'll be removing the OEM gray Yamaha mediocre product soon, and cutting/installing matching SeaDek for the swim platform to complete the changeover. If I have to do this again in 5 years, I'll have experience in how to remove it, and how to apply it, along with the knowledge that it's far superior to carpet, IMO, and less prone to stink vs the snap-in stuff.

This was, hands down, the best change I made to my boat, and my wife agrees

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Great article about solvents and gelcoat, although I don't agree with the NR rating for acetone. If I recall correctly, that's what SeaDek recommended (recommends?) for cleanup prior to installation. I also used it for cleanup prior to patching gelcoat several times without issue. Anyhoo, I'm attaching the chart, in case things go tits up for that link.

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm down in swfl and have kept the boat covered with the black premium cover and I believe the adhesive failed because of the extreme heat under that cover. I will say that the actual seadek that was installed is in decent shape besides a couple pieces that have shrunk around the edges. Due to this, I decided to replace it with the new style that's not the teak look. The boat is now at a storage facility under a roof so I dont use that cover anymore. I would highly recommend you to get Matine Mat. It makes a world of a difference on your feet and gives the boat a beautiful custom look.

CraigAR

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So xylene works the best at removing the leftover glue. All the aftermarket seadek pealed up with no problem but the factory swim deck was more of a pain. I had to use an oscillating tool to remove that. For the leftover glue and mat pieces, I put down some shop rags and soaked them with the xylene. I used 2 gallons of xylene, 1 plastic putty knife, shop rags and an oscillating tool with a scrapper attachment to complete the job. Sometime this week I will be adding the new seadek.
20230916_133400.jpg20230916_151823.jpg20230916_151827.jpg20230917_141809.jpg

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I think the fastest way to remove it is with a painter's tool and heat up the painter's tool with a torch. Clean up the remaining with acetone.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think the fastest way to remove it is with a painter's tool and heat up the painter's tool with a torch. Clean up the remaining with acetone.
Oscillating multi-tool is faster, with a scraper blade. You also have less chance of burning yourself.