• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Test driving 223 vrx tomorrow, need input ASAP

RodK

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
cor
Thanks for the info.. (or maybe not!)... in Europe we tend to work in terms of X litres of fuel per 100km.. so when i did the conversion of 3.5 your miles/gal that works out at about 80litres/100km. and with the current price of gas thats about €110 or $125.. Scary !!
correction..it is 67l/100 or about $90/1ookm ..so basically throwing a dollar bill overboard each kilometre ...that will be fun !

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Pictures, more pictures! That's a beautiful place to boat. I hope to make it over to the Alps to enjoy the snow someday. The only cost that can be compared on the boat is dollars (or Euros) per memory. ;)

Enjoy the new boat!

RodK

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Pictures, more pictures! That's a beautiful place to boat. I hope to make it over to the Alps to enjoy the snow someday. The only cost that can be compared on the boat is dollars (or Euros) per memory. ;)

Enjoy the new boat!
Haha.. i like your spirit.. I will quote that to my wife when she finds out how much I paid for the boat !

Jeff Cox

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
So she made it to the yard. One time out so far, we were the only ones out on the Delaware Bay. Super fast, responsive, almost too responsive at slow speed. Maneuvering jets will take some learning!

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I cannot see the image.

RodK

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Would be great to see the picture. Can't wait for mine to arrive.. its on a boat from the US to Southampton UK, arriving on the 8th.. Then I trail it down to the Alps

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
She is a beauty! I'm loving them more and more

BobJohnson

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Really like the look of VRX models with the tower. With how we use our boat, just couldn't justify the extra expense. Not saying don't like the looks of my VR (non towered) because I do. Love my boat. Just the VRX series looks so much more sporty. ENJOY!

Jeff Cox

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Third time out now. No mechanical issues, sucked some seaweed into the intake grate when we got too shallow. did not go up into impeller and it pulled out easily from under the boat. Just passed the 7 hour break-in period, haven't attempted maximum speed yet but will soon, just a little too much chop when we have been out in the Rehoboth Bay. Slow speed still a challenge and getting the hang of it, got our first ding out of the way..boat vs pier. No wakeboarding yet but spent the day tubing yesterday, no issues whatsoever pulling the chariot warbird. I'll keep the reports up if anything happens.

Attachments

RodK

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Hi all,
Looking for ASAP input as the Ocean City Boat show is next weekend and this boat is going to the show to be sold. Was ready to by Yam AR210, found the Chaparral 223 VRX and fell in love. Fit and finish way nicer. Styling way nicer. Family of 7, 2 younger children, 3 teens. Salt water, bays and ocean of Delaware/Maryland. Will be trailered. I've done tons of research on internet, don't know anyone that owns a jet boat to ask for more info. Here's my questions:
1. I am sold on the reliability of the Yamaha engines, still slightly skeptical on the vortex. Any real life use info is appreciated.
2. Here's the pricing we have worked out: new in showroom 2015 223 VRX, grey with twin 250's, medallion, aluminum trailer upgrade, anchor, cockpit and bow cover (sunbrella). sticker 60,970, offer 56,000. He says that he has to charge me the prep fee and destination charges that are approx 2,000-is this negotiable from other's experiences?
3. Has anyone that bought a vortex ever regretted the lack of clean out ports? Have you ever had debris stuck and had issues?
That's the questions for now, thanks in advance for your time! Jeff

RodK

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Just took delivery of my 223 VR and trailered it to France.. Finally got it in the water. The fit and finish is outstanding.. as my neighbour said its automotive level. the features are great. Space is terrific for 10 people.. actually the biggest problem is storing 10 life jackets !

Need some practice with the low speed maneouvering. I would be grateful for any tips in that area.

I had no hesitation with regard to engine reliability. The Rotax engine has been used in aviation for a long time and is a high quality product from Austria.
i would like to have got your pricing.. 20% tax in Europe makes it more expensive, but believe me even having paid the equivalent of about $75k i think it is well worth it.
good luck

Jeff Cox

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Here's my feedback so far. Now at 20 hours, 5 trips out in the Delaware Bay. She's a rocketship, the acceleration is fantastic. Haven't been able to max her out yet, most days just a little too much chop. Getting better at docking and slow speed maneuvering.
Problems so far:
One time medallion GPS froze on the loading screen. Had to key off and back on to reset, has not re-occurred
Intermittent fuel gauge on medallion shows empty, key off and back on and it shows correct level, am having dealer look at it, took video to show the issue.
Nothing stuck in intake/impeller yet
Pulls wake boarders and large tubes with ease.
Middle under-deck storage too small to fit adult wakeboard
Zipper on port side of bimini top broken, dealer is fixing
Trailer issue (blew out both rear dust caps on hub and grease everywhere) dealer fixing
More as I take it out and have issues or compliments. Jeff

Jeff Cox

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Just brought the boat to the dealer for the above issues. All fixed under warranty. Had my 25 hour service performed as well. 300.00 for the service.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Just brought the boat to the dealer for the above issues. All fixed under warranty. Had my 25 hour service performed as well. 300.00 for the service.
How is she holding up? Need some pretty boat pictures on the water!

Jeff Cox

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Boat is doing well, last summer so rainy over the weekends it was a horrible boating season for us. The factory cover broke over winter (the strap from the wakeboard tower ripped free) causing water to pool in the cover and then spill into the boat causing some mold growth on the cushions.
Wake---don't even think about trying to wakesurf without a rope, no push, no big wave....lots of chatter around that even with the ASP there isn't enough wake. Speaking of wake, it does not throw a big enough wake to get a lot of air on the wakeboard, we are yet to cross the wake in the air.
The other big issue and it was fixed under warranty is the glass screen on the Medallion touchscreen delaminated and started separating. Bubbles started and then it just spread over the entire screen. No hassle fix by my dealership (huge kudos and praise to Advanced Marina in Ocean City MD). I can post some pics from phone later.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
cor

correction..it is 67l/100 or about $90/1ookm ..so basically throwing a dollar bill overboard each kilometre ...that will be fun !
Yes, but how else can you grin that wide while flying over water? You need to price it per person too... That's like 15-25 cents per person... Not too bad for what you are getting.

EDIT: Switched p to cents. Wrong currency.

Last edited:

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
How is the fuel econ and top speed now all broke in?

Jeff Cox

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Top speed I have seen with 4 adults and 5 kids was 57mph....fuel, well not so good....if just cruising and wakeboarding I can get two days out of a tank (see threads about tank not filling all the way up)....if wide open you can literally watch the fuel gauge decrease.
That said, you can truly get her to dance on the water, she does things no other prop boat can do, like a large jetski.